SW Geocachers?

Maximus

Gold Member
I'm sure we mentioned GPS and Geocaching on here a few months ago.

Any Geocachers out there? - i just ordered my first GPS - though in fairness it is a base model (Garmin Etrex H) and without maps.

Main reason is my iphone has in-built GPS but is flattened in a couple of hours leaving me GPS-less but more seriously without a mobile phone in case of emergency, hence the purchase of the dedicated unit.

Anyone use this model or similar and is it really worthwhile to pay the best part of £20 for the programming lead or are there cheaper alternatives?

Can any geocachers out there point me in the direction of open source or free OS mapping so I can print out to use with the GPS when hiking?

Hope that made sense as its all new to me lol.

Steve

Last edited:
Maximus said:
I'm sure we mentioned GPS and Geocaching on here a few months ago.

Any Geocachers out there? - i just ordered my first GPS - though in fairness it is a base model (Garmin Etrex H) and without maps.

Main reason is my iphone has in-built GPS but is flattened in a couple of hours leaving me GPS-less but more seriously without a mobile phone in case of emergency, hence the purchase of the dedicated unit.

Anyone use this model or similar and is it really worthwhile to pay the best part of £20 for the programming lead or are there cheaper alternatives?

Can any geocachers out there point me in the direction of open source or free OS mapping so I can print out to use with the GPS when hiking?

Hope that made sense as its all new to me lol.

Steve

Not sure if he's still about but Heikel Essterol(think that was how he spelt it) used to do alot of geocaching as he sent me alot of info-it might be worth looking him up-I'm sure he'd answer any questions you've got )

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've only recently got into geocaching & love it. I found www.geocaching.com very helpful.

Sorry no idea how to print off maps.

Thanks Jo, you too Michelle:)

Apparently, my map-less GPS can be used in conjunction with printed maps - someone at Ramblers told me where, but of course I forgot.

I think there's a couple about after Michelle (happy holidays) has talked about it and got some people interested.

My family and I are amateurs but enjoy it! xx

Yay, we're still doing it, I just love it. We've seen so many new places here in this country down to geocaching, places close to home as well. There is a lovely dam just a 10min drive from were we live I'd never been to & it's beautiful.

We also do geocaching on holiday, when we went to Bratislava in Sept we saw a lot of the residential area which was amazing, so many lovely buildings & statues which we wouldn't have seen otherwise. We've just come back from India & OH went to a geocache which was in a school, he had a chat with the headmaster & met the children, I couldn't go as I needed to stay near a loo:rolleyes:

But for me it's an easy way to walk a long distance without getting board and we've had so much fun doing it on holiday.

You don't even need to splash out on an expensive gps, smart/iphones can be used.

We have only done it a couple of times so are very amateur but am hoping to do it a lot more. Would also like to hide one but suppose had better find out more about it first!
Love the fact that the kids enjoy it and it stops them moaning when we are walking and I cant believe how many are around!
Hoping now the weather is improving and the footie season is coming to an end we will have more time to get into it.

Me & OH have been out geocaching tonight, at one point it was like a comedy show. The cache was in the top of the stump of a tree, but the stump was quite tall. The conversation goes:-

OH: So get on my shoulders & get the cache, here take the pen
ME: Ok
I then get on his shoulders & he lifts me up
ME: I can't reach
OH: Ok, I'll try & get on your shoulders
ME: What, I don't think so........... ok then.
So he gets on my shoulders, whilst I'm giggling away.
OH: Stand up
ME: I am, I'm only 5ft 2in:8855:

Needless to say we didn't get it! But we did get 5 others, I love coming home, quick tea & then out. We were back for 8pm.

We started about July time last year and loved it:) Now that the weather is getting better we are planning on getting out there again:) Its great exercise and its actually gives the kids something to do while we are out, instead of them whinging;)

Me & OH have been out geocaching tonight, at one point it was like a comedy show. The cache was in the top of the stump of a tree, but the stump was quite tall. The conversation goes:-

OH: So get on my shoulders & get the cache, here take the pen
ME: Ok
I then get on his shoulders & he lifts me up
ME: I can't reach
OH: Ok, I'll try & get on your shoulders
ME: What, I don't think so........... ok then.
So he gets on my shoulders, whilst I'm giggling away.
OH: Stand up
ME: I am, I'm only 5ft 2in:8855:

Needless to say we didn't get it! But we did get 5 others, I love coming home, quick tea & then out. We were back for 8pm.

love it!!!!!

any embarressing moments with muggles? we were half in a bush looking for a cache and two community bobbies walked past. the shsme!

any embarressing moments with muggles? we were half in a bush looking for a cache and two community bobbies walked past. the shsme!

Not yet, but we do a fair bit of 'hanging around'.

Is it just a posh word for dogging?!? lol!! xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ha, Ha, but no it isn't, I'd like to pretend I don't know what dogging is:rolleyes:

Back