Sw is very expensive!!

Seanamall21

M currently in the second week and got the shock of my life after doing my groceries!! The fruit and veg is crazy expensive!! But at the end of the day, it is what we are supposed to be eating, nevermind what diet we are on so we should be getting it anyway.

Is it any wonder we are an obese nation when a multipack of crisps is 79p and a bag of pink lady apples £3!! Lol

Xx

It can be expensive, but there are ways to make it less so, I buy frozen fruit which I use on cereals or on meringue nests, I also buy frozen cauli, broccoli, sprouts, petit pois & corn, there's a 'where the bargains are' thread sub to that as people put where SW friendly foods are on offer, try & buy in season food which can be cheaper, carrots aren't expensive, try shopping at Lidl & Aldi.;)

I buy the most expensive things like meat on pay day then freeze it so ive got it all in the freezer ready for the month ahead :)

Glad to hear you guys agreeing and that im not just stingy!! Lol

I do tend to buy my veggies frozen, because they are cheaper, wont be wasted if we dont use them within a few days, and apparently they better because the nutrients are locked in when freezing!

But i do get my fruit fresh which is where the bill adds up!!

But its all worth it if we are all slimmer and healthier in the end!

Xx

I like to think I'm buying health (and being able to wear size 14s instead of 24s!) I'm a student and money is tight, but I also know I could always find money for a dominos.... Sometimes over 20 quid with sides. That's a lot of apples :)

Yeah i totally get whag you mean! I know we would think nothing of forking out more than £20 on a chinese takeaway and more! And maybe three or four nights a week!

Another thing is, those apples will last me most of the week but the chinese is a few hours, plus you feel rubbish after eating it!! (Im not obsessed with pink ladies...just an example lol)

I agree that it can be expensive but I also agree that's the trade off. When I did ww I spent £££ on their branded products that do nothing to stop the binge cycle. I used to eat like a bird all day and then sit with a bowl of snacks in the evening. It did nothing for my mentality at all!! Now we have very little in the way of branded snacks and what I save there in the weekly shop I spend on fresh fruit and egg as well as the frozen varieties for the end of the week when the fresh had all been eaten up.

My husband thought I was mental for subscribing to scan bran at a cost of £23 every two months (through amazon) but I pointed out that its a little over £2.50 a week and in the past we would spend ten times that on takeaway WEEKLY!!! So whilst the shopping may be a little higher, overall I'm better off, and healthier!

Pink Ladies are expensive apples compared to most anyway! My favourite is Braeburn.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I like to think I'm buying health (and being able to wear size 14s instead of 24s!) I'm a student and money is tight, but I also know I could always find money for a dominos.... Sometimes over 20 quid with sides. That's a lot of apples :)

That's a brilliant way of looking at it!! I never get takeaways, but I know from talking to people who do that they don't see the cost of them as part of their food bill for some reason. Which is one of the themes of the new Jamie Oliver television series - every week he cooks for someone who usually gets takeaways, then compares the cost. It's scary!

That's a brilliant way of looking at it!! I never get takeaways, but I know from talking to people who do that they don't see the cost of them as part of their food bill for some reason. Which is one of the themes of the new Jamie Oliver television series - every week he cooks for someone who usually gets takeaways, then compares the cost. It's scary!

Ooh might check those out- thank you!

I have heard a few people talking about the new jamie series, must check it out!!

Another thing we do is, bulk buy our rice and pasta, and fill up one of those clipper storage things that most people keep cereal in and the rest of it in the back of the cupboard. I dont know about you guys but we go through tonns of rice and pasta! Which is toally alien to my mum and dad, as they live on potatoes!! Lol

One bloke at SW lost a ridiculous amount of weight in a year but he was spending about £40 a week on berries and other fruit. Not realistic when you have a large family.

M currently in the second week and got the shock of my life after doing my groceries!! The fruit and veg is crazy expensive!! But at the end of the day, it is what we are supposed to be eating, nevermind what diet we are on so we should be getting it anyway.

Is it any wonder we are an obese nation when a multipack of crisps is 79p and a bag of pink lady apples £3!! Lol

Xx

It doesn't have to be, it can be as inexpensive as you need it to be with a bit of planning and some savvy shopping. Pink lady apples are expensive full stop but you can pick up a bag of apples for about a quid or less. They will also fill you up for longer than a bag of crisps would so you need to factor that into the equation as well :)

There are lots of ways of reducing the cost of SW, many of which have already been posted. You can considerably reduce the cost by eating more vegetarian meals using beans and pulses.

Spicy beanburgers and SW chips are a very cheap meal and completely Free on a green day. Another very cheap meal is egg, chips & beans with is Free on Green or EE.

I make lots of HM soup including vegetable, leek & potato, carrot & coridander, chicken & vegetable (doesn't have much chicken in it's just the chicken which gets picked off the carcass of a chicken after a roast dinner).

The best way of making cheap vegetables tastier is by the use of herbs and spices.

Denise

Back