Sw is very expensive!!

I definitely agree that it is cheaper to buy unhealthy food (not necessarily thinking of takeaways). You can get 10 doughnuts in Tesco for £1, 6 apples were £3. It's all very well to shop around but if you live in the countryside as I do then there are petrol costs to consider as well.

Still I know the trade off is better and worth it but it does sometimes make me cross!

I looked at a few other 'diets' to see how much they were - just a nosy to compare.
Some of them are nearly £200 a week or more. They don't teach you how to shop or cook, just nasty shakes /soups or pills or packet food, instead of lovely, tasty normal food for the whole family.
There are loads of ways to make your food shopping less expensive. We've definately cut down on the amount of takeaways we used to have. The new book out is great for feeding on a budget - loads of great ideas in there x

I definitely agree that it is cheaper to buy unhealthy food (not necessarily thinking of takeaways). You can get 10 doughnuts in Tesco for £1, 6 apples were £3. It's all very well to shop around but if you live in the countryside as I do then there are petrol costs to consider as well.

Still I know the trade off is better and worth it but it does sometimes make me cross!

You need to report your Tesco to their head office if the cheapest they do 6 apples for is £3..... I can buy a bag of about 9 from mine for a pound.... I could be wrong but it does seem that you are comparing a cheap junk option (there are lots of unhealthy snacks much dearer than a pound in Tesco) with a particularly expensive kind of apples.... I went to Tesco after my weigh in on Monday night and bought a punnet of nectarines £1 a punnet of plums £1 a bag of apples £1 a net of tangerine £1 a bag of bananas £1 oh yes and I went wild and spent a whole £1.17 on a punnet of grapes.... non of these items were reduced to clear this was their standard price.... although I did manage to get a she'd load of veggies reduced and some figs... what can I say.... I am a fruity woman ;)

Littlemissslim, you are right, SW is encouraging a healthy eating plan that can last!! Whereas most of those diets that involve shakes etc, are not sustainable! After two weeks on shakes, when a person goes back to eating normal food, it is practically impossible to keep weight off!!

Bloodcoveredprincess, i know there are cheaper alternatives, i just happened to use the example of pink ladies because theyre my faves!! Its just to make a point! :)

Xx

Littlemissslim, you are right, SW is encouraging a healthy eating plan that can last!! Whereas most of those diets that involve shakes etc, are not sustainable! After two weeks on shakes, when a person goes back to eating normal food, it is practically impossible to keep weight off!!

Bloodcoveredprincess, i know there are cheaper alternatives, i just happened to use the example of pink ladies because theyre my faves!! Its just to make a point! :)

Xx

And I hope there are many pink ladies in your future :D

I'm quite surprised by how expensive some fresh fruit can be! It probably doesn't work out as being much more than the amount I used to spend on junk food, and I think it's the cost of any healthy diet really, not specifically Slimming World. I've started buying in bulk, family bags of veg, and batch-cooking and freezing it all so it'll last longer than it would in the fridge - cooking for one gets so expensive otherwise!

Definitely pays to shop around for the best bargains. I'm lucky my tesco and aldi are across the street from each other so I don't have to roam from one side of town to the other!

Aldi n asda definitely outdo tesco on the bargains when it comes to fruit I noticed.
But asda 3 for £10 on their meat is a bargain if you bull buy and freeze.

I worked out I'm about £35-40 a week on food for my husband and I. Given that we would spend up to £25 on a Saturday on takeaway (and sweeties for pudding) this is definitely saving me money.
I started cooking everything from scratch again and freezing portions for lunches / dinners.

Recommend making soup and freezing it in bags/tubs. This has been a real money saver for me when I previously would've spent £5 a day roughly on lunch at work.

They say you can't buy happiness but I'm thinking this is exactly what we are all doing in a round about way ?. X

The new Jamie serious is brill - so many helpful tips in there too!! I always buy frozen veg and farmfoods is great for that. It is £1 per bag and you are getting 3 for £2 :D
I need to go buiy lots of frozen veg tomorrow. I have never tried the frozen frui .... are these alright?? I tend to buy the wee snack packs that is meant for the kids lol !!!

I like frozen fruit, but find the strawberries are not their best frozen, I stick to other berries or Sainbury's own fruit salad I think, it's just over £1 packet.

The new Jamie serious is brill - so many helpful tips in there too!! I always buy frozen veg and farmfoods is great for that. It is £1 per bag and you are getting 3 for £2 :D
I need to go buiy lots of frozen veg tomorrow. I have never tried the frozen frui .... are these alright?? I tend to buy the wee snack packs that is meant for the kids lol !!!

I just recently tried their frozen berry mix and they are very good :drool:

What meals do you bulk cook and freeze? I cook soup and put it in tubs which is great for lunches but I am not sure main meal wise. I am a bit funny about freezing meat xx

What meals do you bulk cook and freeze? I cook soup and put it in tubs which is great for lunches but I am not sure main meal wise. I am a bit funny about freezing meat xx

I freeze just about everything just froze a load of portions of beef madras last night

The new Jamie serious is brill - so many helpful tips in there too!! . . .

I am planning to sit down with the new Jamie Oliver book this evening - the first free evening I have had in ages. I borrowed it from the library to see if I wanted to buy a copy for myself. Did you know that he gave a free copy to every public library in the country?

I am planning to sit down with the new Jamie Oliver book this evening - the first free evening I have had in ages. I borrowed it from the library to see if I wanted to buy a copy for myself. Did you know that he gave a free copy to every public library in the country?

I work in a library and we definitely received a free copy. I've borrowed it myself this week.

I work in a library and we definitely received a free copy. I've borrowed it myself this week.

Wow... that is really kind of him... what a gent lol

Back