SW on a budget

watchmego

I need to reduce my food spend, and just wondered how everyone else manages their food to get max from it. I seem to have a lot of waste, things like fromage frais, will use some in one meal and end up chucking the rest! Any tips gratefully received.

maybe with things like fromage frais in meals; make a big batch of the meal (make maybe 4 portions) then eat one and freeze the rest for another day. I always buy frozen fruit/veg so I take what I need so I don't waste any. I buy bananas,oranges,pears,apples fresh but most other fruit/veg is frozen. I go to lidl/aldi/ for food but I do a Tesco order online if Im sent vouchers or money off coupons.

I don't follow slimming world but I use fromage frais for desserts, mix with sweetener and an options sachet and serve with sugar free jelly, fruit, or crumble a scan bran into it. Hope this helps ? x

Without wanting to say the obvious, but if you're wasting food it is going to be expensive, there are a few things I do, one sub to this thread

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/40089-where-bargains-anything-else-thats-useful-752.html

I buy frozen fruit which works out cheaper, I buy it from Aldi or Lidl or the 3 for £x from Sainsbury's I don't buy them from say Morrisons as it's too expensive, I also shop at Aldi & Lidl & bulk buy but only if I know I'll use the stuff.

If you have food left which needs using up I go on yummly.com for recipe ideas, a lot of them can be made SW friendly.

Things like onions, carrots & in season veggies are cheap, as is pasta, rice, potatoes, try & buy cheaper cuts of meat or the 3 for £10 offers & build up meals around that, tinned tomatoes are cheap & good meal fillers.

I'm a student again so we have a tight budget, so I try and get the offers and also reduced section meat and freeze.

One thing I have done which is great is buy a turkey leg which is really cheap from asda, less that £2 I think, and slow cook it the take off all the meat and use that in a few dishes. It is amazing what comes off it, I got loads last time.

I do batch cook meals and freeze portions. Sometimes I will have the leftovers but give my husband something else that he really likes that is cheaper, like escalopes or something that would be high syns for me but he still wants them.

Reduced veg is great to batch cook a huge pan of soup.

I often check my supermarket and go to several places to get ever at the cheapest price, it does take more time but it's worth it for us.

Someone once said to me if you have a breakfast type meal (sw fry up?) Once a week it saves money as those things are cheapest e.g. Eggs, beans so we often do that.

I bulk out mince dishes with loads of veg and passata so it goes much further. And I often use turkey mince instead of beef which is cheaper and add beef stock cube. Hubby still likes it :)

Also find frozen veg and meat can be cheaper and doesn't go off. Also some frozen things are very small syns like you nhs fish portions in parsley sauce, and it's a cheaper way of eating fish.

Tinned mackeral in tomato sauce on toast is a great cheap meal, one of my fav. Lidl and Aldi and cheapest for them. And we don't always buy big brands.

Does that help?? Anything in particular you want to make cheaper? If you meal plan and make a list you waste a lot less. Xx

I'm a student again so we have a tight budget, so I try and get the offers and also reduced section meat and freeze.

I'm a student too and will second this. Often I will buy the reduced fish or meat in Asda, and just freeze it for a later date. (I have some cod pieces in the freezer which were 25p each!) Also I buy a lot of reduced veg, and again I freeze a lot of it although it can go a little mushy when cooked.

I don't buy the big brands unless they are on offer or I'm being picky - I have to have proper ketchup!

Also did a big order from an online protein/meat supplier. As I was a first time customer I got an amazing deal and got about £90 worth of good quality lean meats for £45. All that went in the freezer, and although isn't extra lean (so some syns) will keep me going for a long time.

Its all about being sensible. :)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I suppose I am already quite a careful shopper but think there is more I could do to economise. I generally shop at Tesco and lidl, but the draw of the online order usually wins! I use frozen berries with porridge but don't buy other frozen fruit so I can look at that. And I buy most veg fresh as this is what I prefer - but i probably could save loads using more frozen veg and prob just in a bit of a rut iyswim. Currently I have a bag of frozen spinach which I can't think of anything to do with it. I also buy bagged salad which doesn't last and I end up chucking it.
I will try the turkey leg in slow cooker and look at the bargain link, thank you :)

I second the idea of batch cooking and freezing. Another thing I do a lot is "fridge soup" or "fridge sauce". Every now and then I clear the fridge of any forgotten veg that's a bit limp looking and either make a big batch of soup or a big batch of tomato sauce (for stews, pasta, chili etc).

Red lentils are a good standby - they're really cheap, especially if you buy them in bulk. Add a handful to soup or sauce to thicken it up, make dahl/curries etc.

Asian food stores are good for cheap spices and pulses.

Stop buying supermarket meat. Bulk buy your meat at a cash & carry type place or butchers. You'll get a lot more for your money and better quality too.

There's two of us in our house and we have meat at least once a day. We go to the cash & carry at the start of the month each month, spend on average £50, and never ever have to buy meat from the supermarket. The meat we get for £50 lasts us at least a month, and it's fantastic quality.

Also bulk buy things like rice, pasta etc so the only thing you've got left to buy is your fresh fruit and veg.

I buy veg/salad/fruit from a local farmers market which is soooo cheap compared to supermarkets. x

Ok at the risk of sounding really stupid....exactly what is a cash and carry? Lol. Is it like makro? Do you need to me members? £50 a month for meat is incredible I would like to try it!

Ok at the risk of sounding really stupid....exactly what is a cash and carry? Lol. Is it like makro? Do you need to me members? £50 a month for meat is incredible I would like to try it!

Yeah like Makro. The one I go to is called Meat Mart, it's in Astley near Bolton (not sure where in the country you're based). There'll be something similar in your area or a butchers if you research it. It's all about buying in bulk and then freezing it in portions. I can honestly say I will never buy supermarket meat again.

EDIT: The one I go to doesn't need a membership.

I have seen a local butcher advertising freezer packs but some of it is not stuff we would eat and it wasn't that cheap. Will have to research it does sound much better :)

I have a different approach because I live alone and only cater for myself.

I don't buy in bulk because I don't have a freezer and can't afford to buy one.

I try to buy only exactly what I am going to use. If I want carrots for a meal, I won't buy a big bag of carrots, however cheap they may be, I just buy two carrots. A big bag of carrots is not a bargain if I can't finish them up before they go off. If I am going to make leek and potato soup I buy two leeks and a large potato. When I get fruit I will buy, say, one orange and two apples.

I also get packs of prepared vegetables for soup - this might seem more expensive, but it is used up straight away and nothing is wasted. I don't buy salad in bags, though, as it doesn't last. I get iceberg lettuce, or little gems, which keep quite well.

I don't buy loaves of bread as it doesn't keep long enough. I have Ryvita instead and if I fancy some bread I will buy just one wholemeal rolll

I buy meat once a week, and that is chicken thighs - a pack of six makes two meals. There are all sorts of types of protein and I don't find I miss meat at all and would never think about having it every day.

Since taking this approach I have found that my food bill has gone down a lot. Obviously it wouldn't suit people who are catering for other people, but I imagine I am not the only person here living alone.

I second the idea of batch cooking and freezing. Another thing I do a lot is "fridge soup" or "fridge sauce". Every now and then I clear the fridge of any forgotten veg that's a bit limp looking and either make a big batch of soup or a big batch of tomato sauce (for stews, pasta, chili etc).

Red lentils are a good standby - they're really cheap, especially if you buy them in bulk. Add a handful to soup or sauce to thicken it up, make dahl/curries etc.

Asian food stores are good for cheap spices and pulses.

Fab idea- fridge sauce

Some frozen veg is okay, we buy; frozen onions, peas, cauliflower, corn on the cob, mixed peppers, sliced green beans (and sometimes frozen leeks for soup too) but I'll only buy fresh broccoli, carrots and mushrooms. I also buy cans of tomatoes, sweetcorn, peas/mushy peas/peas and carrots (for emergencies!) of course baked beans. We also buy lots of Passata in cartons (Lidl is good).

To reduce waste you could try planning your menus around food you have in plus watch for things going off and find ways to use them, eg; if you have a big bag of carrots going limp, just chop em up with a load of onions and make into soup/veg curry/pasta sauce, then freeze in individual portions. As for fromage frais, if you use some and can't think of a way to use the rest, just stick it in the freezer (if it's not already too full!) either as it is, or mixed with some frozen berries for a handy frozen dessert.

It doesn't have to be expensive, and everything doesn't have to be fresh, just experiment to find out what you like and what you don't. x

Back