SW on your own or attending a group ?

wannadrop3st

Hi Guys,
I am debating doing SW on my own (I have the books, bought them on a very well knows auction site) or going to a group :rolleyes:

The problem is i think with the dark wet nights i wont go out to the group :sigh:

So i am wondering if you guys had good losses on your own or do you find the group more useful ?

Also the thing that puts me off about the group is thatI have read the meetings have changed lately and the group leader spends more time finding out your targets to input into pc thingy, rather than have discussions ?? is this correct ??:)

Thanks guys :family2:

I find attending a group works far better for me!! I have joined a few times then went for a few weeks and thought after a while i know what i am doing so i no longer need the group. But then once i stop attending the group i find i dont stick to the plan so well. So i think it just depends on how u much will power you have but for me i find i need the support of the group. And knowing you have to weigh in every week is also a big factor in helping to keep me on track.

Now I work better on my own. I did weight watchers online at the beginning of the year and lost over 2st plus I have kept it off over the summer. Needed a kick start again now so started on SW and find it great. Loads to eat and this forum is a great support. I think it is what suits you best. :)

Hi, I believe you can do the plan well and lose weight without attending a class. I have experience of both and as I am so determined this time, I am focussed and do not need to go to a group. This forum answers any questions you may have and the weight loss stories are a great inspiration! I think it is personal choice as to whether you attend a group or not. Good luck with the plan!

I have never attended a SW class. I got the books and main info off my best friend. Mini mins keeps me on track and up to date with changes. And seeing the weight come off keeps me motivated xx

I find the groups keep me motivated and have an aim to get to. The structure of a weekly weigh in gives me a mental deadline for that week, if I've had a bad week I find the meetings a fresh start to the next week.

My consultant is brilliant, shes really supportive and only asks if u want to set a target loss for the next week, but if you simply say to loose she doesn't push you.

I would strongly recommend you go to meetings, we have a laugh and or made some new friends

Best wishes x

I love group, there's not much mention of targets? Just week to week chat. I need class, if I were doing it at home and ad a weak moment ,I may think oh sod it, and eat something I shouldn't. But going to class stops me, in 22 weeks I've lost 3 stone. And not stuck anything in my mouth I shouldn't have! I've made lovely friends,done clothes swap, eaten recipes etc. won raffles. I go to a lunch class so no dark wet nights for me! X

I think I'd feel the same if I had to go after work too but I go on a sat morn which is better for me. I only go to get weighed. I don't stay for the class. It's a big group and takes forever to go through everyone and i start losing the will!!
My weight loss has been quite slow but think it wouldve taken twice as long if I was doing it on my own

Hi , I joined sw last Monday , iv always gone to WW and found the sw class very different ( in a good way) it was friendly and leader not spent too much time on her thingy! I need group support to stay at it!

I need the support of the group because I can cheat myself and "forget" what I have eaten. But some people can do it alone.

I have joined slimming world as WW more times than i can count. But this time i have stuck to it and for only one reason, my group and my consultant. Without the weakly meetings i would have given up long ago! Different things work for different people and thats what works for me :)

Hi All,
I have just started on my own four days ago, I like the concept as it doesn't feel like dieting at all - infact I feel more full up? I alternate between red days and green. My period is due, so any tummy bloated/weight gain is this reason although I'm not as snappy. The only thing I'm stumbling on is quick breakfast, I dislike cereal - can I really have so many eggs?

I always used to go to group as I needed a complete stranger to weigh me, to shame me into sticking to plan! However, I do find SW classes REALLY boring. I sit there & nearly nod off. I know it sounds selfish, but it's the same old "Mary has lost 2lbs this week. How did you do it Mary?" & by the time the C has gone around 30 people I'm ready to gnaw my own leg off with boredom!

So I know the diet well enough & I'm now trying it on my own. Plus I'm saving £5 a week. I've only done 1 week & have lost 4.5lbs. Had a naughty day yesterday but am back on track & hoping I can up my motivation :)

I'm another one who has tried it with a group and on my own. Ultimately, I find the support of a group to be the best thing for me.

However, I do think some classes are more effective than others. I've been a member of 3 different SW classes now, and it's only with my current group I have finally found the support I need. Our consultant is a real inspiration and is so passionate about SW, that every week is worth being there for.

Hi Wannadrop,

I'm doing it the third way - online. This is sort of by myself but with the discipline of a regular weigh-in and the benefit of the SW website. However, I joined up for 3 months - have another one to go - and will decide nearer the time whether to go it totally alone.

I have tried SW online before, but don't think I was in the right frame of mind. This time around, I've seen the wonderful results my niece has had and, importantly, found this forum. The results and the dedication of the people on this site, whether they've got lots to lose or only a little, is a real inspiration and makes me think that this time, I really will achieve goal.

Whichever method you chose - good luck!

Hi everyone..

I do slimming world on my own and have never attended classes. I have so far lost 6st 3lbs since January. I admit I haven't been as strict the last few months as this is a change of lifestyle not just a 'diet' Like other people have said it's finding out what works for you. Some people find it more beneficial going to classes etc.. :) x

Mummoth said:
I always used to go to group as I needed a complete stranger to weigh me, to shame me into sticking to plan! However, I do find SW classes REALLY boring. I sit there & nearly nod off. I know it sounds selfish, but it's the same old "Mary has lost 2lbs this week. How did you do it Mary?" & by the time the C has gone around 30 people I'm ready to gnaw my own leg off with boredom!

So I know the diet well enough & I'm now trying it on my own. Plus I'm saving £5 a week. I've only done 1 week & have lost 4.5lbs. Had a naughty day yesterday but am back on track & hoping I can up my motivation :)

I have to admit I used to find the classes dull and would go on for ages. If I went to the 7pm group I wouldnt get home until 9!! Hence why Im on my own now.

Back