SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

I have no idea if it was cooked badly. I know it wasn't cooked well because little one woke up with a nightmare and had to be brought down with the result that the presentation wasn't pretty and it wasn't totally done BUT tasted soooo good. It totally took on the marinade. I used veg stock, soy sauce, balsamic and one cube each of the frozen crushed ginger, chilli and garlic. I pressed the tofu under a heavy book, wrapped in a clean tea towel and thinly sliced it (next time I would slice down rather than through if you know what I mean as it was too fragile) and sat it in the marinade all day. I then baked it in the oven. It needed longer, I know that, but was still good. I chucked it on top of an edamame bean stirfry (sains) done in 1tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil and some noodles. Immense. I'll be doing it again but I'll hopefully be able to give it longer as the texture was still slightly, not slimy but wet-ish. Not unlike a cheese triangle haha
It looks delicious! Glad you liked it. I sometimes put mine under the grill for a few minutes after it's done in the oven, to crisp it up a bit.

Do you have a recipe please barbette and a pointer on where to get the ingredients please to make the seitan
This is the gluten I bought off amazon Gluten 1kg: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery and this worked really well and they delivered it promptly. This pack for just me does loads, I batch make and then freeze it in portions ready to use.
seitan 1.pngseitan 2.jpgseitan 3.jpgseitan 4.jpgseitan 5.jpgseitan 6.jpgseitan 7.jpgseitan 8.jpg
I hope you can read these pictures, this is the recipe I use and a friend emailed them to me, hope this helps x

I'm going to get some and have a go. The way I see it the Chinese have eaten these foodstuffs as staples in their diet for hundreds of years and they are notoriously slender.

Not that I'm stereotyping you understand. I'm sure there are fat Chinese people in as much as there are intelligent blondes and sober, non football loving English holiday makers out there.*

*Disclaimer. This was a joke. I am actually well aware of the illogicality of the above, before anyone accuses me otherwise. In fact for many years I was blonde and I've got a degree n evryfink innit.

That looks lovely Barbette.

Which combination did you use to make the seitan as there seems to be lots plus do you think I can do it in my magimix using the dough blade as I dont think I have the energy to do all that kneading !!!

And you said 1 syn per 25g of cooked product ?

Thank you again

I made it using the amount of liquid for the medium-firm and I made it using the savoury flavouring. And yes when I'd made it worked out 1 syn per 25g after it was cooked. It is 408 calories per 100g as the dry gluten which is 20 syns, so what I did was worked out how much of the dry gluten I used to make the mix and that gave me the final syns for the whole batch and then I weighed it when it was cooked and worked it out from that. It swells a lot when you cook it, mine tripled in size so made a lot, I just portioned it and froze and I labelled all the portions with the syns so I know how many's in it x

Well I am totally stuck in a how to make seitan loop on google. A lot dont even use that gluten flour just normal wholemeal flour and water from the looks of things as apparently wholewheat and stoneground wholemeal flour is the same.

So according to a lot of recipes it is 2 parts wholewheat flour to one part water which you mix together then rinse rinse and rinse in a colander till you are just left with starch which is about half the starting mixture but it is a lot denser then you just have to flavour it.

So I might try that before buying more stuff from amazon

Oh I thought your pricess also included all the rinsing.

I need to look at it properly next week when I can print it out

I got this today in Tesco.

http://www.sweetfreedom.co.uk/index.php/sweet-freedom-choc-shot

It is vegan and I know it was featured in SW magazine recently

I squeezed some into some wuark and it was gorgeous.

2 syns for a tablespoon or 0.5 syns for a teaspoon

I'm such an idiot. Figured out why my tofu wasn't working out after trying a second time. I was using firm SILKEN tofu! No wonder it wasn't going crispy or chewy. Back to sainsburys for me....

school girl error.

Tasted good though!

Back