SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

If you do green the extra hex are a bonus because you are more limited in other ways on those plans. Of course being veggie doesn't mean having to do green. If you are comfortable doing ee then great. You could always mix in the odd day and see how you go :)

Thanks for the info :) I think I will stick to EE as it's Ben working so far but if I need the extra HExB I may throw in an odd green day, saying that I've just had a pizza from Frankie and Bennys so bread is a no go for a while for me :D

Ooh post some pictures when you do!!

1408708501435.jpg

Dinner today, mushroom risotto made with pearl barley, a jar of mushrooms from Aldington and topped with cheese and toasted seeds, it was very yummy and syn free :D X
1408708602559.jpg
Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Dinner today scrambled eggs quorn saussis and baked beans. Delish and helps you forget yr on a diet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hello, I'm trying to get back into the swing of Slimming World having only ever done it before I went vegan. I'm overjoyed to discover that Linda McCartney's red onion and rosemary sausages are free and I was wondering how any vegans use their A and B choices. Any tips would be appreciated. Ta!

Hello, I'm trying to get back into the swing of Slimming World having only ever done it before I went vegan. I'm overjoyed to discover that Linda McCartney's red onion and rosemary sausages are free and I was wondering how any vegans use their A and B choices. Any tips would be appreciated. Ta!

I personally have at least one A a day and almost always two Bs. My A choice is either 250ml Oatly milk or 200ml Oatly chocolate. B choice is usually 35g porridge oats and 2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf but sometimes will be 35g soya cheese instead :) saying that, 30g of soya medium cheese from Tesco is only 4.5 syns too :)

Subscribed x am vegetarian so this thread may give me some good ideas :D x

I just can't get the hang of tofu. I've tried two lots of the firm stuff now. How thin does anyone slice it and how long do you crisp it up for? I almost needed to caramelise it, is that right??

I tend to press it for 10mins or so then cut it into chunky strips maybe size of a chunky chip shop chip.

What about everyone else

That's about what I did but it's still pretty wet. I pressed it for ages too!!

Chuffed to discover Tesco Free From chocolate and coconut milk is a vegan healthy extra. It's so tasty and feels like such a treat. Must get some chocolate Oatly too. Best diet ever!

That's about what I did but it's still pretty wet. I pressed it for ages too!!
I don't claim to be a tofu expert, but this is how I do mine:

I generally use the Cauldron tofu. I freeze it, then defrost it (this changes the texture for the better, in my opinion, and also makes it easier to press I think). Once it's defrosted, I slice it in two horizontally so I have two slices. I carefully squeeze out as much water as I can between my palms, then press it for at least an hour, usually two. I press it between two plates lined with several sheets of kitchen roll, and put four tins (tomatoes, beans etc) on top. I change the kitchen roll at least once during the pressing.

Once it's pressed I cut each slice depending on the recipe: small squares, triangles or cubes. I then marinade it for at least another hour.

I usually bake mine in the oven, even if I'm using it for stir fry later.

I know this sounds complicated, but it's not really - you just have to be organised in advance!

Last edited:
I press for an hour plus with loads of cans on it and then freeze. Freezing definitely helps and I also squeeze any liquid that's left after it has defrosted. I tend to bake first as well, tried frying without baking and it always falls apart. The smoked one seems to be firmer as well x

Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I've never tried freezing it after pressing - will do that next time and see what it's like!

Ok I'll get some and freeze it this time. I have to say that the bits that did go crispy were delicious. I marinaded it over night, is that overkill maybe? Maybe I made it soggy!!

Back