SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

Ok I'll get some and freeze it this time. I have to say that the bits that did go crispy were delicious. I marinaded it over night, is that overkill maybe? Maybe I made it soggy!!
It should be okay - I often marinate mine for a few hours, and there has to be a limit to the amount of liquid a piece of tofu can absorb!

Hi all..am veggie for 26 years now.. Laziness stops me becoming vegan ..as drink milk..
green days great if plan followed correctly and I cook but cooking an issue as health probs an work mean little time..
Am 20 st 7lb of flab.. Hope to lose at least 2 of those by Xmas (hence my new thread in ref to this)
ten years were spent as a student and bad habits became life habits unfortunately.
also suffered from bulimia from teens though under control now ... Mindset hard to change..
need loads n I mean loads a support n hope to give support back..
grief tears n alot of life missed.. Need to change now ������

Last edited:
You can do it, I work full time, I'm a part time carer for my partner, I'm doing an NVQ and I crochet for friends and family and I manage it. There are things out there that can make quick tasty syn free meals, I often use tins of chickpea dahl and chilli beans, both free and add veg to bulk them out and have them with couscous, this is really quick to make and yummy. I think you have to be really well planned and find little short cuts where you can, you'll get plenty of support on here :) x x

What is anyone else doing with chickpeas? I love the little blighters but there are only so many chickpea burgers and chickpea curry dishes I can make. I've tried roasting them with spices and they make a nice snack but suspect that that would fall under a tweak as you would easily eat an entire tin in one sitting and that's quite a lot really.

I cook this quite a lot: Spiced chickpea & potato fry-up | BBC Good Food

If you ignore their "serve with" suggestions, then it's 2 syns for the lot, and it serves four, so that's half a syn per serving. Unless you're me and my flatmate, who eat it between us, then it's 1 syn per serving!

Omg they sound amazing. The simplicity of the spinach one too!! I have to make that this week. And I imagine the potato one to be a lot like a saag aloo. Mmmmmm now I'm hungry for chickpeas!!

Thanks for the tips.i didn't like it the first time I had it. I just opened it and ate it lol but will by it again now and try it a different way :D so thanks

Awaiting my next vegan kind box :)

Here you go.

I haven't tried it yet

In her words

Sorry its in American measurements
1/2 cup cooked or canned, drained and rinsed white beans
1/4 cup soya sauce (way too much imo, half that was more than enough)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups veg stock
2 cups wheat gluten flour
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (I leave out with it having the soy sauce
Preheat oven to 350oc (about 175oc).
Blend the beans, soy sauce, oil and stock until smooth.
In a large bowl add all dry ingredients and mix. Stir in the above liquid and knead for 3 minutes.
Shape into oval loaf.
Place the loaf on a oiled sheet of foil and wrap. Place in a baking tin with a inch of water and cover the whole tin with foil.
Bake until firm around 1 hour 45.I generally add a lot more seasoning and just use whatever I fancy, quite often I use a fair amount of dried rosemary.
I usually use the full tin of beans too as it makes up for less of the soy sauce. Its really great for freezing in little chunks too.

She says any tin of white beans will do

Let me know if you make it before I do. I need to find nutritional yeast next

Just made a batch using this recipe, very yummy. Not quite as chewy as the last batch I made without the beans in. I had a piece tonight for tea with some jerk seasoning on :)
1409765343351.jpg 1409765365570.jpg
Thanks for sharing the recipe x
Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Wow that looks great

Did you amend it in any way ?

I bought canellini beans yesterday and I managed to get onion and garlic powder so I am now good to go and I think I will throw in some mixed herbs

I am going to use the full tin of beans and less soya sauce as I don't like salty stuff

I have planned to do it Friday as I am off then

Are you going to freeze it in portions like that ie slices ?

Didn't have any nutritional yeast left so left it out, I added a little chilli sauce and herbs and I never added the oil to cut down on the syns. I used butter beans as they were the only white beans I had in the cupboard. I always play with recipes and it's never the same twice lol x

The recipe I made today I cut into 12 pieces each piece is 5 syns each. I weighed the gluten and I used 300g to make this batch which was 1200 calories, as this was the only thing with syns in it worked out 60 syns for the whole thing. When you make it weigh the gluten and work out the syns, probably the safest way of doing it as SW had no idea what seitan was and couldn't tell me if it would be lower on syns so told me to syn it as though their was no free foods in it.

I have hundreds of cookery books, I read them, go to make stuff and then change it according to my own taste and what I have in the house or my mood, usually spice things up a bit x

Thank you so much for helping me.

I am such a nightmare as I never follow recipes unless it is something I am really unsure of like this.

I am determined to make it over the next few days.

I might run it through the syns calculator using vegetable protein as the free food to see what that comes out as

That looks lovely. I thought I would share my vegan brekkie
Its quinoa apple strudel porridge made using almond milk as my hexA do syn free and meets the 1/3 superfree as also topped with a fresh banana and extra cinnamon. I do love some cinnamon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 72
^^^^ That looks nice. Do you use raw apple, or do you cook it? I'm inspired, quinoa is lovely.

That looks lovely. I thought I would share my vegan brekkie Its quinoa apple strudel porridge made using almond milk as my hexA do syn free and meets the 1/3 superfree as also topped with a fresh banana and extra cinnamon. I do love some cinnamon!

Wow Sam - that looks amazing!

I used to make breakfast quinoa with an options orange choc sachet and then mix clementines through it but it always felt a bit processed. Yours is super healthy/natural!x

The recipe I made today I cut into 12 pieces each piece is 5 syns each. I weighed the gluten and I used 300g to make this batch which was 1200 calories, as this was the only thing with syns in it worked out 60 syns for the whole thing. When you make it weigh the gluten and work out the syns, probably the safest way of doing it as SW had no idea what seitan was and couldn't tell me if it would be lower on syns so told me to syn it as though their was no free foods in it.

I have hundreds of cookery books, I read them, go to make stuff and then change it according to my own taste and what I have in the house or my mood, usually spice things up a bit x

I have worked out the gluten syns using this data

http://www.nutritionvalue.org/Vital_wheat_gluten_nutritional_value.html
And basically I entered a few food allowance on green on vegetarian food - dried then added all the info so

Per 100 g
370 cals
14 g carbs
75 g protein
1.9 g fat

And got per 100 g 2.5 syns !!! So I used 250 g which is only 7.5 syns

Engivita is on syns online and that is 5.5 syns for 30 g and I used 25 g

Which means it is only 12 syns plus a desert spoon of oil 4 syns ?? and a squodge of sweet chilli sauce 2 syns ??

Which means a total of 18 to 20 syns for the whole thing which is a lot less then you thought which is fab news and explains why the mock duck is free

Do you think this is right ?

Back