SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

I take a high strength B vitamin as b12 comes from meat sources. Otherwise my diet is varied enough to not need a multi-vit :) if you take anything containing iron make sure you up your fluids to avoid constipation

Thanks, lickthelid! Yes, I know iron tablets make you constipated, pregnancy memories... :) I've been OK so far with them.
B12 - yes, I've heard that's the "vegan vitamin". I eat eggs, and as they are free on SW, I eat quite a lot, so I don't think it should be a problem.

Is your family vegan, as well? My hubby is a "weekday vegetarian", so he will eat meat about twice a week. Our daughter is a meat-every-day girl and she eats meat at school, so she is fine with mainly vegetables in the evening.

I'm not vegan, but I'm working towards it. I still currently have eggs although its rare and generally they are "in" things if you know what I mean? The only dairy I have is the odd piece of cheese. I have totally converted to almond or soya milk in all other areas. This morning I made vegan cookies with my daughter using coconut oil, soya milk and self raising flour. They came out like mini scones :) I added some Splenda but they were not at all sweet. I'm slowly but surely finding alternative cooking methods and ingredients to shift to an exclusively plant based diet. I'm also experimenting with raw foods and have raw breakfast every day :) I find the variety of foods amazing when you take the time to explore!

my husband has cut his meat consumption right back but like you my daughter still eats it. At 4 I refuse to restrict her diet in anyway until she is old enough to decide for herself.

Oh yum..., we also buy almond and hazelnut milk sometimes, and I have recently tasted something called Oatly (Swedish I think?) oat milk. Really nice. That's one thing I found out from this thread that you can have a litre of almond milk as your HeA. Sounds good.

We are also going to bake in a minute with my daughter! :-D I will eat one slice, guesstimating the calories, it shold be about 15 syns, a choc marble madeira cake.

I haven't used any sweeteners yet, we have some Stevia, but I dont know how to... is it tablespoon for tablespoon? That's one thing I still have to learn.

I think you are right about not forcing anything on your little one. They are still growing and I would worry about missing out on something. Mine is 10, and she is quite happy to eat healthy SW things, but she complains about the lack of meat after a few days. Like she asks me to make lasagne with beef rather than vegetables. So I feel a little guilty sometimes. But as I say, she eats meat or fish at school every day, and I tell her it's enough to eat meat once a day. And there is always ham for her in the fridge!

I'm trying to be vegetarian mainly for health reasons - some problems that run in my family can be prevented or even reversed with a low-fat vegetarian diet, doctors say. (Bowel cancer eg, killed my dad at the age of 51, and eating red meat, processed meat, lack of fibre probably contributed to it. Also high blood-pressure.) But it's better for the environment, and I have found it to be a lot cheaper, as well! Good quality meat costs a fortune.

Have a nice rest of the weekend then,

Martha

I agree about the diet helping with medical conditions. I've got dementia on both sides of my family so anything I can do to stave that off I will!!

In case anyone wants them sainsburys have the hugh fearnley-whittingstall fruit every day and veg everyday river cottage books in a gift set from £30 down to £10 at the moment. I got a set as the cheapest I have seen until now is still over £20. Also Aine Carlins book (it's mentioned in a feature in vegetarian living this month) is half price at £7.49. I ended up with both. Oops!!!

well I have a confession to make! I have defected to WW!!

I am doing so well with being veggie and transistioning to vegan but felt I was eating too much of the same things on SW and I could feel my portions getting larger and I gained a few pounds so moved to WW

i still plan to stay on this thread unless the thread police kick me off :D

After pootling around on here for hours I've finally found other veggie/vegans on SW!:grouphugg:I did post a thread about other vegans but here you are! I finally rejoined online after leaving my group earlier in the year and putting on 1 1/2 stone:cry:So great to find others to chat to about sw etc. What are you all cooking tonight? I'm gonna do Pasta & greens from the Veg Everyday cookbook, love it! Also do any of you guys use vegan cheese as a hex?

Yep I checked and I do have the veg everyday cook book just sitting on the shelf

Tonight I am having greens or broccoli and cauliflower cheese sauce made with low low cheese - hex a with mash and a slice of seitan which I made the other day . I love this stuff so much

Barbette did you see my workings out a couple of pages ago

What do you think ?

There are thread police? :eek:

I was totally vegan today. Raw breakfast with fruit. Bean, lentil and tomato soup for lunch with an apple And a pear. Linda MC vegan friendly sausages, actifry chips in EVOO and beans for dinner as I had an after school meeting and didn't want to cook too much. I'll be rounding it off with some dairy free choc drops called "moments of pleasure" that I found in sainsburys. Hint of raspberry. Amazing.

They are a total bargain. Called beyond dark and come in little bags. You can get orange, raspberry and plain 70% dark. Currently half price at 50p a bag. Get in

Was a lazy cook tonight so we had jacket potatoes with baked beans and cheese as my HeA. Snacked on fruits during the day (grapes, mandarins, strawberries) but sadly, also had two slices of the chocolate cake we baked yesterday. No idea about the syn value...

This River Cottage "Veg everyday" book: is it OK with SW? Or do you need to change the recipes? I've heard only good things about it but not sure whether to buy it. I'm also on the "no more cookbooks" plan...

I sometimes buy "Cook Vegetarian", or the BBC Good Food vegetarian editions ("Vegetarian Summer" and "Vegetarian Christmas") , I find they have as many recipes in them as a cookery book. Very good ones, too! easy to adjust for SW.

Was a lazy cook tonight so we had jacket potatoes with baked beans and cheese as my HeA. Snacked on fruits during the day (grapes, mandarins, strawberries) but sadly, also had two slices of the chocolate cake we baked yesterday. No idea about the syn value...

This River Cottage "Veg everyday" book: is it OK with SW? Or do you need to change the recipes? I've heard only good things about it but not sure whether to buy it. I'm also on the "no more cookbooks" plan...

I sometimes buy "Cook Vegetarian", or the BBC Good Food vegetarian editions ("Vegetarian Summer" and "Vegetarian Christmas") , I find they have as many recipes in them as a cookery book. Very good ones, too! easy to adjust for SW.

I find it great with SW, the main thing you need to switch are fry light instead of oil, you maybe have to syn the odd tbsp of wine which is negligible when divided by 4 people or curry paste, and hex can be used in others, everything I've ever tried from it has been yummyness on a plate! There's fantastic curries, chillies, pasta dishes and soups, it's making me hungry just typing!

Thanks, Parapluies, I might invest in one, it's ~£6 used on Amazon.
It has 950 5-star reviews!

Sunflower, WW is not a swear word, it is the same idea, a low-calorie, low-fat healthy diet, just different approaches. I tried it once, but I was hungry. I need to lose a stone and a bit, so they only allowed me 19 points a day and told me I would achieve the goal in 7 weeks. I'd rather lose it slower and not be hungry.

I hope WW will work for you!

What do you, everyone, usually do about HeB? Do you eat bread?
I bake wholemeal loaves (in the breadmachine) and freeze / 2 slices in a bag. I also love the rye Finncrisps and you can eat 12 of those a day.
Or weetabix.

I'm
Yep I checked and I do have the veg everyday cook book just sitting on the shelf

Tonight I am having greens or broccoli and cauliflower cheese sauce made with low low cheese - hex a with mash and a slice of seitan which I made the other day . I love this stuff so much

Barbette did you see my workings out a couple of pages ago
I've just looked at it, when I phoned SW they told me I couldn't put it through as a free food so when I did my calculations I did them as a non-free food, that's why I've got my calculations higher. They said I'd have to send them the packaging for them to work it out properly but as they'd never heard of it and didn't understand what it was I doubt very much they'd work it out properly.
If it doesn't affect your weight stick with you workings, but if you start putting weight on put it through at the higher syns x x
What do you think ?
I worked it out as no free food because that what slimming world told me on the phone that's why mine is slightly higher than yours but if it is not affecting your weight I'd stick to it x x

Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back