SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

Saw this recipe and thought I'd share it on here, have made something similar and it was gorgeous x

Quinoa Corn Chowder

Low Fat Quinoa Recipe With Corn, Potato, Green Beans, Red Pepper

Quinoa corn chowder:*Mild, with a hot spicy side; simple & satisfying vegan quinoa recipe.

Delicious corn chowder cooks in 30 minutes*on the stovetop, 6 hours in a crockpot. Video included with stovetop directions.

Variations:*Replace potatoes with veggie sausage or beans. Add chopped spinach or kale for more green power.

OR serve chowder*with*green salad, adding beans, nuts, toasted seeds, tofu or seitan for extra protein.

Total Prep & Cook Time:*50 min stovetop, 6 hrs 20 min crockpot

6 Servings

Nutrition Data Per Serving,*200g (2 cups):*217*cal, 41g carb, 4g fat,*211mg sodium, 5g fiber, 3g sugars, 7g protein, low Saturated Fat & Cholesterol, good source Vit B6, Vit C., Folate, Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 19

Ingredients:

*3/4 cup raw quinoa
*1 Tbsp cooking oil
*1/2 cup diced onion
*2 - 3*cloves garlic
*1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
*1/2 cup celery, diced
*1 cup diced red pepper
*1/2 tsp gr cumin
*1/2 tsp paprika (smoked paprika is nice)
*2 tsp gr coriander
*Optional: Add more heat with a pinch or two of chipotle or cayenne pepper
*4 cups vegetable soup stock (unsalted if you can get it)
*2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
*1 pkg frozen corn kernels OR*3 - 4*ears fresh corn on the cob
*1 cup chopped green beans, fresh or frozen
*1 tsp dried oregano leaf
*2 tsp dried basil leaf
*1 bay leaf
*1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
*1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
*Garnish: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro OR 4 scallions sliced, tender greens & whites

Stovetop Directions with Video:

1. Rinse quinoa in cold water, then drain into a colander. Set aside.
2. Add oil to the pan, turn it on low to heat up, while you prep the veggies
3. Peel & mince the onion, garlic & jalapeno
4. Wash and trim the celery, slice thin
5. Seed and dice the red pepper
6. Peel and chop the potatoes in bite sized pieces
7. If using fresh corn, peel and slice the kernels off the cobs
8. Sauté the onion until soft. Turn up the heat to medium, add the garlic, celery, red pepper & jalapeno, sauté 2 minutes
9. Add the cumin, coriander, paprika, optional chipotle or cayenne powder, stir for 1 minute
10. Add the soup stock or water, quinoa, potatoes, bayleaf, and fresh green beans if using
11. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes
12. Add the oregano, basil, salt & pepper to taste, fresh or frozen corn, and frozen green beans, bring back to a boil, and simmer*5 - 10*more minutes, until it looks right to you
13. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro or scallions

Crockpot Directions:

4 - 6*qt crockpot, 6 hours on low heat, 1 hour on high heat

1. Rinse quinoa in cold water, then drain into a colander. Set aside.
2. Peel & mince the onion, garlic & jalapeno
3. Wash and trim the celery, slice thin
4. Seed and dice the red pepper
5. Peel and chop the potatoes in bite sized pieces
6. If using fresh corn, peel and slice the kernels off the cobs
7. Heat the oil on medium in a fry pan
8. Sauté onion until soft. Add garlic, celery, jalapeno & red pepper, sauté 2 minutes
9. Combine in a*4 - 6*qt crockpot: All ingredients including fresh green beans if using, but not corn, cilantro or scallions, salt & pepper
10. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours
11. Add the fresh or frozen corn kernels, frozen green beans if using, oregano and basil. Turn heat to high and cook another 1 hour
12. Add salt & pepper to taste
13. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro or scallions

Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

(An earlier post of mine has disappeared...)

Parapluies, thanks, I might invest in a Veg everyday book then. It's £6 on Amazon, and it has 950 positive reviews!

I made a sweet potato, bean and spinach curry tonight, with rice and salad+raita dip, it was all free and yum!

What do you, everyone, do for your HeB, do you eat bread?
I bake wholemeal loaves in the breadmachine, slice and freeze / 2 slices in a bag. I also love rye Finncrisps. Or weetabix. What kind of bread do you eat?

(An earlier post of mine has disappeared...)

Parapluies, thanks, I might invest in a Veg everyday book then. It's £6 on Amazon, and it has 950 positive reviews!

I made a sweet potato, bean and spinach curry tonight, with rice and salad+raita dip, it was all free and yum!

I bake wholemeal loaves in the breadmachine, slice and freeze / 2 slices in a bag. I also love rye Finncrisps. Or weetabix. What kind of bread do you eat?

When you are a newbie our automatic spam filter sometimes can be over aggressive and block some posts which have to wait then for approval by Admin...all your posts are there now.

Admin

I'm
I worked it out as no free food because that what slimming world told me on the phone that's why mine is slightly higher than yours but if it is not affecting your weight I'd stick to it x x

Ahhh sorry I didn't realise that. I reckon it should have a free food allowance or how else would the mock duck be free ?

I usually seem to use mine up in the mornings either with oats, toast or pecan nuts sprinkled on my fruit & soy yogurt. Occasionally I'll save one for the evening to have as a slice of garlic bread if I'm doing pasta.

I'm one of those thread police and I like to keep the forum free from spam and trolls.This is an English forum so we only allow English.Also there is no need for txt speech. :)

My comment about the thread police was only a joke as there is a gentle rivalry between SW and WW. totalling agree with the bit about being English speaking forum :)

Apologies in advance id this is not allowed but found this for Sweet potato and quinoa burgers and it looks fab and SW friendly x

YIELD: 10 PATTIESINGREDIENTS:PRECOOK:
2 cups cooked brown lentils (about ¾ cup uncooked)
2 cups cooked quinoa (about ½ cup uncooked)
1½ cups mashed sweet potato**NOTES
You may salt the cooking water for the lentils and quinoa (it will help to layer the seasoning throughout the burger). The sweet potatoes can be microwaved – peel them, cut into large chunks and put them in a microwave-safe bowl with little bit of water. Mine took about 13 minutes in the microwave (I checked them at 10 minute intervals).2 cups onion, diced (I only used 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrot, grated
1 cup kale, very finely chopped (if it isn’t very fine, your burger will break apart)
1½ cups oats (either old-fashioned or quick)
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground coriander
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. chili sauce, such as Sriracha
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste STEP 1
In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent. Season them with salt about half way through the cooking process.STEP 2
Combine ALL of the ingredients in a large bowl. Get in there with your hands and really mash it up so it is combined well. This mixture does especially well after a 1-2 hour rest in the fridge, if time allows. STEP 3
Form patties. Unlike meat, these patties don’t shrink up much when cooked, so you can make them true to size. (Jill’s recipe says it yields ten patties, but I must have made mine on the small size – I wound up with eleven.)STEP 4
(Jill’s directions differ slightly here.)
This is how I cooked them:
Use about ½ Tbsp. of oil (grapeseed, canola or vegetable) per patty. Heat oil over high in a large skillet (do not let the oil smoke). CAREFULLY place the patties in the pan (oil will spatter a bit, so wear an apron). Cook them 3-4 minutes on each side. STEP 5
Dress your bun, add your burger and dig in!
I used a Sprouted Seven-Grain Hamburger Bun from The Sprouted Bakehouse (these are really good) dressed with vegannaise, sliced tomato and sprouts. Perfection. I served it with Multigrain Tortilla Chips from Food Should Taste Good and salsa. I LOVE these all-natural, preservative-free, gluten-free chips – they are so healthy and yet sooooooo good (I buy mine at Costco).I froze most of my patties after forming them (skip the frying step). To reheat, I put one or two in the toaster oven on 350° for a few minutes (to defrost), then I fry them according to the recipe directions above.Again, thank you Jill at www.readyprepgo.com for this awesome recipe!!! Nicely done!​

and this is not so SW friendly but looks good anyway!

VEGAN NUTELLA!!!!!!!

In a sauce pan, heat:

• 2 heaping tablespoons of coconut oil
  • 2-3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder
  • ½ cup of hazelnut butter

Mix well until all ingredients are melted together.
Add maple syrup, honey or agave and sweeten to taste. (Being Canadian and all, I use maple syrup. It also balances well with my ayurvedic dosha.) If you prefer a creamier flavor, add a splash of almond milk or soymilk.

It can be eaten warm as fondue. Or, pour it into a jar, set in the fridge for a few hours, and voila!
VEGAN NUTELLA!

and finally-vegan Yorkshire puddings!!

Serves: 4 Ingredients:
90g/3oz vegan margarine, eg Pure, Suma, Biona
115g/4oz self raising flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
280ml/ ½ pint soya milk
55g/2oz whole egg replacer, eg Ogran or Enger-G brands
60ml/ 2 fl oz water

Hi all, I'm out for tea tomorrow night and need something low syn! Any help? I'm iff to the Trafford centre I'm manchester so it has most mainstream places :)

Ahhh sorry I didn't realise that. I reckon it should have a free food allowance or how else would the mock duck be free ?

I think they don't understand what it is, they'd never heard of it when I phoned them. I said the same about the mock duck, they said it was because the calories were less, I tried to explain that the gluten is mixed and cooked and increases in size so the end product want as calorie dense but they didn't get it. Like I said if it's not affecting your weight I wouldn't worry x x

I think they don't understand what it is, they'd never heard of it when I phoned them. I said the same about the mock duck, they said it was because the calories were less, I tried to explain that the gluten is mixed and cooked and increases in size so the end product want as calorie dense but they didn't get it. Like I said if it's not affecting your weight I wouldn't worry x x

Yes that's the problem if it isn't in the book or a recognised food then you have no chance !!

I have only had it twice and I am at target so I am maintaining which means in the scheme of things I don't suppose it matters !!

Hi all, I'm out for tea tomorrow night and need something low syn! Any help? I'm iff to the Trafford centre I'm manchester so it has most mainstream places :)

That is my local !!

What sort of things do you like ?

The Chinese restaurant not the one in the food court is nice and veg chow mein is about 6 to 8 syns

Zizzi do a spaghetti pomodoro which is about 8 syns for the oil and you can use the cheese portion as your hex a

There is a Wetherspoons and I am not sure if they still do the 1 syn chilli veg noodles.

Look in the eating out forum for syn values for Chinese Wetherspoons etc as that also might help

How we all doing this week? I've got a couple of tricky days ahead - wedding anniversary tomorrow (but found a nice restaurant with ok sounding salad) and MIL's 70th bday bash on Saturday, though doubt the caterer would have done anything vegan anyway, so will probably eat before I go!

well I have a confession to make! I have defected to WW!!

I am doing so well with being veggie and transistioning to vegan but felt I was eating too much of the same things on SW and I could feel my portions getting larger and I gained a few pounds so moved to WW

i still plan to stay on this thread unless the thread police kick me off :D

Hmmm well 4 days into WW and I am so fed up! fed up of weighing and measuring and running out of points each day, cant do f&h as a lot of veggie foods are not on the list. looked at my planned meals for today and they take me over points yet fit perfectly into a green day-think I am destined to be a SWer

Hi Sunflower, so welcome back? As I said, WW didn't work for me. Some people can put up with being hungry, they can fast etc - not me.

Parapluies, I'm also going to have a tricky 3 days. My husband is cooking tonight, a coq a vin, which means chicken, bacon, wine ...and he is making enough to last for 2 days. Then we have a friend coming over to help paint our daughter's room on Saturday, and he's specifically asked for home-made chicken schnitzel (deep fried chicken breasts). I think I will have to write off these 3 days' main meals re SW and vegetarianism... but snack on fruits and healthy bread.

On top of all that, I "wasted" all my syns on an Aldi chocolate sundae yesterday (15 syns). How can they make something so nice???

Hi Sunflower, so welcome back? As I said, WW didn't work for me. Some people can put up with being hungry, they can fast etc - not me.

Parapluies, I'm also going to have a tricky 3 days. My husband is cooking tonight, a coq a vin, which means chicken, bacon, wine ...and he is making enough to last for 2 days. Then we have a friend coming over to help paint our daughter's room on Saturday, and he's specifically asked for home-made chicken schnitzel (deep fried chicken breasts). I think I will have to write off these 3 days' main meals re SW and vegetarianism... but snack on fruits and healthy bread.

On top of all that, I "wasted" all my syns on an Aldi chocolate sundae yesterday (15 syns). How can they make something so nice???

Yes just been to weigh in. Gained a pound but to be fair I'm usually a morning weigher so it's not a true reflection. Just had a new hifi light, very nice.

Like you I cannot be hungry, I run (rather poorly I admit) and find I need decent meals and on Ww wasn't satisfied x

Parapluies, are we all struggling this weekend?... I will get back on track on Monday, I've decided.

I was quite happy though that I could hardly stomach the coq a vin, it was so fatty and meaty. I felt sick afterwards. My stomach is getting used to goodies! :-D
I want some yellow lentils now LOL.

Sunflower what was the prob with SW originally, too repetitive as vegan?

Back