SW & underactive thyroid

kazbang

Hi

I have just been diagnosed with having an under-active thyroid. I kinda knew something was wrong as I had been following the plan and gaining weight. There were also other symptoms, too (extreme tiredness, nails breaking, feeling the cold). Plus, as I had an over-active thyroid before, I have been expecting this!

Has anyone had any difficulty with losing weight on the plan with an under-active thyroid and do you have any tips? I have lost 3.5st so far (it was just over 4st, but weight-gain has brought that down). I tend to lose weight incredibly slowly and inconsistently.

Any tips welcome!

Thanks

Has your GP put you on any medication? Levothyroxine for example? This will help 'correct' your thyroid function and should allow you to continue losing weight. It can take a while to find the correct dose and you may find your dose needs increased a few times before your bloods will show a significant change. However I know many patients who have been commenced on medication and the weight has gone off naturally anyway. So by sticking to SW you will ensure you don't gain any 'extra'. Good luck x

My consultant has this an medication an still loses normally hope that helps. At least you know the gains are not your fault to an hopefully once on the right med everything will mend itself

Hi, I also have an underactive thyroid and take Levothyroxine. I lose weight slowly but quite consistently and previously did EE. I now do Red (which is similar to SP). I probably lose a little bit more than EE but the not the same as others who seem to follow this. Is this because of the thyroid issue? I couldn't say for sure as I have recently started exercising and I know this can slow things up to begin with. It is always worth experimenting and you could try a low carb week.

HI

Wow! Didn't notice the replies as the email went into my junk box - this has now been corrected! Thank you all for commenting. It's good to know I am not alone in this.

Yes - GP has put me on 50mg levothyroxine and I have a blood test in 6 weeks. From what I gather form online research this is a fairly standard starting dosage. I am unsure how long it will take for my levels to get back to "normal" but hope it is soon!

I am pleased that there is a reason to my recent yo-yo gains and losses as I have been following the plan. I often felt a little like a naughty child when asked "are you sure you have been on plan?" when I have gained. I have gained 10lb in approx. 4 months (I have a healthy, balanced SW diet and go to the gym 3 times a week). Yes, there have been cake-eating "incidences" but not 10lb worth!

@kazbang. I put on a ton of weight over a 10 month period before I was diagnosed. It doesn't matter how healthily you eat, the thyroid isn't working and the weight goes on. I think I started on 50 too. (btw, its mcg (micrograms) not mg - pet hate LOL)

@kazbang. I put on a ton of weight over a 10 month period before I was diagnosed. It doesn't matter how healthily you eat, the thyroid isn't working and the weight goes on. I think I started on 50 too. (btw, its mcg (micrograms) not mg - pet hate LOL)

Gah! I thought I had changed that! Oops. *hangs head in dosage-fail shame*

Been chatting to my consultant as this is the first weigh in tonight since I began the meds on Thursday AM. There were a few "you can't blame the thyroid for all the gains". I don't think he truly understands the power of that silly little gland! The tiredness, muscular aches, coldness, weight gain and depression to not make for a fun cocktail! When I was over-active, I was off work for 16 months and on silly levels of medication.

PLEASE tell me some good news and that you lost weight after the meds kicked in! I see by your signature that you are doing well. How long before the meds start having an impact? I am severely impatient with this, as you may tell.

Sidenote - are you an Undertale fan?

Hi, I have Hypothyrodism and take Levothyroxine daily. It doesn't affect my weight loss (when I stay on plan!)

This.

As long as your meds are where they should be, you should do ok.

PLEASE tell me some good news and that you lost weight after the meds kicked in! I see by your signature that you are doing well. How long before the meds start having an impact? I am severely impatient with this, as you may tell.

Yeah, as soon as you get near stabilised, losing weight is the same as anyone else. Not sure how long it took because I wasn't 'dieting' then. Probably 3 or four weeks for the thyroxine to build up enough. I can't remember what the half-life of thyroxine is so not totally sure...

Sidenote - are you an Undertale fan?

Ha! My daughter is a huge fan. I like Sans and thought the slogan was kind of appropriate... ;)

Yeah, as soon as you get near stabilised, losing weight is the same as anyone else. Not sure how long it took because I wasn't 'dieting' then. Probably 3 or four weeks for the thyroxine to build up enough. I can't remember what the half-life of thyroxine is so not totally sure...

Ha! My daughter is a huge fan. I like Sans and thought the slogan was kind of appropriate... ;)

Sorry - "half life"? Not sure what that means!

Ah, okay, if I remember correctly. A half-life is the amount of time it takes for a medication to to be reduced to half, in your body. If you took 100mcg of thyroxine, a week later you'd have 50mcg in your body, a week after that, 25mcg and so on until it's all gone. To work out how long it will take for your body to be 'back to normal' so to speak, it's 4 (I think) times the half life, which in this case is around four weeks.

Basically you should be feeling normal in a month is what I was trying to say! lol

Hi everyone so glad i found this conversation. I am at my wits end I suffer from underactive thyroid and going through the menopause there are days I have no energy at all always feeling tired. I can't get the weight to shift please is there anyone who are going through both and are losing weight

Hi!

I was diagnosed with an UAT about 3 months ago! I had lots of symptoms, pain, tiredness, mental and physical heaviness, freezing all the time ect, but I began gaining weight rapidly, only THEN did I go see what was wrong with me! haha I was okay barely functioning but when I started putting on weight, that's what made me see the docs! :rotflmao:

I have found my 175mg of Levothyroxine doesn't hinder my weight loss.

I just started slimming world 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 12.5 lbs! so im guessing its all okay! :)

Back