Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup

GymClassHero

Silver Member
Hi All,

After much faffing about trying to make this soup SW friendly i have now cracked it!

It tastes lovely and would be an ideal starter to acompany a carribean, Indian or Thai menu.

Ingredients:
1 kg sweet potatos - peeled and chopped
Frylight
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 teasponns cumin seeds
2 red chillies - deseeded and chopped
2 stalks lemon grass - finely chopped
1 pint vegetable stock
200ml Amoy reduced fat coconut milk (12 1/2 syns)
1 tablespoon of palm or brown sugar (2 1/2 syns)
Fromage Frais - decoration only

Method:

1. Steam sweet potato for 10 minutes until tender and soft. Drain and set aside.

2. Heat frylight in saucepan over medium heat, add ginger, cumin seeds, chiles and lemongrass and cook for 3 minutes.

3. Place sweet potato and cooked spice mixture in a food processor or blender with 1/2 pint of the stock and process until smooth. Add the other 1/2 pint of stock and process again.

4. Place puree in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut milk and palm/brown sugar and stir until soup is simmering and hot.

5. Serve with 'swirl' of fromage frais if desired.

Serves 4 large bowls at 4 syns per serving or 6 normal bowls and 2 1/2 syns per serving on green or EE.

5260_144017561141_610886141_3843361_3370091_n.jpg

Last edited:
that sounds really nice.

how do you steam the sweet potato without a steamer though (i'm probably being thick). xx

You could probably cut into chunks and boil it if you dont have a steamer. It just needs to be soft enough to blend up so im pretty sure boiling would do :)

That sound delicious - thanks for posting!

how do you steam the sweet potato without a steamer though (i'm probably being thick). xx

You could cut it in chunks and put in a bowl with 2 tbsp water, cover it, then cook in the microwave until soft

That sound delicious - thanks for posting!

You could cut it in chunks and put in a bowl with 2 tbsp water, cover it, then cook in the microwave until soft

i dont even know what my OH did, as he made me it haha, but whatever he did it was yummy. xx

Back