Swollen Ankles

Maka

A New Woman
I've had a weird week(windy from both ends - inspite of an impressive number 2 TWICE in the last 2 days) and now this evening after work, I sat on the couch to watch a movie and my ankles are puffy and swollen. Is this a sign of water retention, or should I be worried?

yes swollen ankles are a sign of water retention
have you been standing alot , is it particularly hot there today , i mean more than usual

I used to get swollen ankles a lot when I lived in Bermuda, plus still do a little bit. When I started my diet my ankles were terrible for a few days, think this was down to my body trying to balance the water. If I dont drink enough now I still get a bit puffy. Unfortunately, I know now that this is a sign of age too (booooo). I would up your water a bit, you may be retaining if you are not drinking enough.

yes swollen ankles are a sign of water retention
have you been standing alot , is it particularly hot there today , i mean more than usual

Thanks Phoenix - am glad it's just water retention and nothing more(although that won't be any good for the scales!!!).
Last time this happened I was in the late stages of my second pregnancy so I was a bit worried.

No, I haven't been on my feet more than usual and it's gloriously warm at the moment.

So I'll just glug away x

I used to get swollen ankles a lot when I lived in Bermuda, plus still do a little bit. When I started my diet my ankles were terrible for a few days, think this was down to my body trying to balance the water. If I dont drink enough now I still get a bit puffy. Unfortunately, I know now that this is a sign of age too (booooo). I would up your water a bit, you may be retaining if you are not drinking enough.

Thanks hun. Age???? I'm only 38...looooool :)
I have at least 4litres daily (excluding my decaf) already. Will up the water to 5-6litres for the next couple of days and see if that helps.
Woke up with that telling TOTM backache, so I guess my "visitor"'s on the way. I just never know when anymore cos I'm so irregular now.

It sounds like you are drinking enough already
arent we supposed to drink about 3 litres , 5 or 6 might be too much
I dont know hopefully someone will know more about that than me
I think drinking too much can be as bad for you as not enough
and yes it could be totm i swell up everywhere when im due on

Yes, maybe too much water. I find three is the magic number for me, less than that and I retain, more than that I dont ever do. Hope it goes away when you get your period, sounds like that could be the culprit.

I know 5-6l sounds like a lot, but I've always been a water drinker. Off vlcd, I usually drink 2litres anyway throughout the day.
When I was younger, I was tested for diabetes cos of constant thirst and tested negative.
When I did a vlcd before, my counsellor eventually agreed that I just need more water than most because after a couple of litres, I peed on the stick and showed dehydration.
I don't drink large amounts in one go, but I listen to my body and drink when I need to otherwise I do end up with headaches:)

Back