Syn food v Free food with the same calories

I have to decide between eating a banana or eating a Rocky biscuit. The banana is free food, the biscuit is 5 syns even though they have the same number of calories.

Sometimes I don't follow the syns v free food reasoning. Can someone explain it a little then I can put myself out of my misery and either eat the biscuit or not!

I am trying to keep my calorie count under control and have to choose what to eat and not eat as well as watch the syns each day.

If I have posted this on the wrong forum sorry - I didn't know where else to ask this question.

I have to decide between eating a banana or eating a Rocky biscuit. The banana is free food, the biscuit is 5 syns even though they have the same number of calories.

Sometimes I don't follow the syns v free food reasoning. Can someone explain it a little then I can put myself out of my misery and either eat the biscuit or not!

I am trying to keep my calorie count under control and have to choose what to eat and not eat as well as watch the syns each day.

If I have posted this on the wrong forum sorry - I didn't know where else to ask this question.
It's a case of nutrition. Rocky biscuits contain what is known as "empty calories", from a nutrition point of view it does absolutely nothing good to you, whilst a banana contains fibres, vitamins, minerals and is 100% unrefined sugars, meaning it is natural and good for you. Your body will burn calories eating a banana, whilst it will very likely burn less and store the biscuit. Moral of the story? Stick to fruit. ;)

Thanks, makes sense - even if it wasn't the answer I had hoped for! I will cut the calories and keep to the free foods. Just can't shift the last few pounds...

You will make it! Either up the ante by hardcore exercise or eliminate all sugars from your diet. The sugar thing will only be temporary as you are just cutting calories. Exercise is the best option, push yourself until your limbs shake and you would will reach your target. Don't forget to drink lots of water, it's necessary for weight loss! :D

why cany you have the rocky thats what syns are for

It's a case of nutrition. Rocky biscuits contain what is known as "empty calories", from a nutrition point of view it does absolutely nothing good to you, whilst a banana contains fibres, vitamins, minerals and is 100% unrefined sugars, meaning it is natural and good for you. Your body will burn calories eating a banana, whilst it will very likely burn less and store the biscuit. Moral of the story? Stick to fruit. ;)

However we also have syns for a reason so if the OP wants the biscuit then she should have it. There are no awards for martyrdom on SW. Even if you were to cut out all the syns it is not enough calories to contribute even a half pound weight loss. If you are struggling for those last few pounds look instead to your free foods and ask if your portion sizes are reasonable. Also make sure you have a lot of variety in what you eat so you keep on challenging your body.

Thanks for all your feedback and encouragement. This week I'm going to have a really good go at getting over this sticking point. I'll cut the empty calories and stick to alternating Red/Green days. I generally use my Syns on extras not on the HE list but have had mad biscuit cravings and a need for something crunchy (and not carrots or celery!). I will set up my food diary on this site to keep a track of what I'm eating. Thanks again.

But you are also aiming for an exceptionally low BMI (lower than SW allows in fact if your stats are correct you are already below the recommended lowest weight for your height according to SW) So losing an extra may be very difficult and not actually good for you

No my stats are correct. I have started competitive bike riding and needed to get rid of some weight but it is converting to muscle so I am actually very healthy but thanks for the advice on BMI.

Also a banana will fill you up (a bit anyway) whereas I could eat about 5 rockys and not feel any different, so with a banana you're less likely to reach for something as well afterwards.

To me it is a matter of choice, I will eat plenty of free foods and then if I want something else to eat after I will simply choose what I want - it might be something free like fruit or a yogurt or equally it might be a mini choc bar and counting the syns.

I eat what I want, not what I think I should have which is why I think SW is so successful! :eatdrink051:

You do seem to be going for quite a low target weight, especially as you are so active. My stats show my target as being almost the same as yours but I am about a billion inches shorter!

Back