Green Day Syn free 1 pot chicken & rice curry

HollyM

I have just made this for tea. I found a recipe for biryani and altered it to suit slimming world, and to suit paella rice cause its so easy to cook. It does seem like a lot of different spices I know, but they are not expensive, last a long time, and you end up with a much better flavour than a ready made paste. We thought it was smashing & tasted like a "proper" curry - Hope you like it!

Serves 4, syn free on extra easy or green (if using chicken as Hextra)

• 452g diced skinless chicken breast
  • 2 large white onions sliced thin
  • 1 red or green chilli (optional)
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic (crushed)
  • 1” fresh ginger (crushed)
  • spray-light oil for frying
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch ground cloves
  • 2 whole cardamom pods
  • ½ tsp lemon pepper
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 3 tbsp 0% greek yoghurt
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 900ml chicken bovril stock
  • 2 tbsps finely chopped coriander leaves
  • 1 cups Paella rice
Preparation:

• If you like marinade the chicken in tikka paste (check the syns).
  • Bring the chicken bovril stock up to the boil in a saucepan.
  • Add the lemon juice and ½ the coriander to the stock, cover and leave to simmer.
  • Coat a pan with spray-light oil and fry ½ of the onion till golden brown.
  • If you are using a chilli, cut it in half lengthways, remove the seeds and add to the pan.
  • Now add the cardamon and the remaining onion then fry till they are translucent.
  • Put in the ginger and garlic, fry for 2-3 minutes then fish out the cardamon pods.
  • Mix all the spice powders together, stir in and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the chicken and keep frying till the meat is fully sealed.
  • Pour the rice into the pan and stir until evenly covered then pour in the stock.
  • Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes till almost all the liquid is absorbed.
  • Finally stir in the yoghurt then and sprinkle with coriander leaves then serve.

It really was lovely - mouth is watering just thinking about it now - and it was so easy to make!

mmmmm sounds delicious will be trying that this weekend.

Back