Green Day Syn free bolognaise sauce

I put chopped onions; few garlic cloves and one can tinned tomatoes in a pot, cover and leave to cook on low heat (aprox 20-30 min)
Then wisk in a blender…pour back into the pan on low heat….season with salt, pepper and basil...syn free sauce ready

Im not a massive fan of chopped tomatoes, so I use passatta (seived tomatoes, about 28p a carton)

I cook onions, mushrooms in frylight, add garlic and mince and brown, then add the passata and a tablespoon of tomato puree.

laura35 said:
Im not a massive fan of chopped tomatoes, so I use passatta (seived tomatoes, about 28p a carton)

I cook onions, mushrooms in frylight, add garlic and mince and brown, then add the passata and a tablespoon of tomato puree.

I like your style I'll be trying this one!! :) xx

I usually brown the mince with a little fry light, add about 2/3 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 chopped onion and chopped mushrooms. I then add one medium sized grated carrot, this takes the bitterness out of the tomatoes and you can't see or taste it when cooked! I then add 2 beef oxo cubes and mix, adding to that a carton of chopped tomatoes and basil (from the best range at morrisons, saves adding fresh basil) and around half a large jar of passata (I save the rest and add to the sauce if and when needed) I then add salt and pepper and Stir, usually leaving my sauce to simmer for around 30 minutes giving all the flavours time to absorb into the meat, then, just before serving I add 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup, (yes I know what your thinking but my o.h only likes jar sauce and this gave a extra sweetness to the sauce like shop bought sauce.It's a couple of syns but in my opinion, totally worth it and when divided out between servings it's barely half a syn per portion! My sauce usually gets 6-8 portions depending on how much mince and passata I use. For the leftovers, I put them in plastic containers and freeze them. It is also great to put in the fridge for lunch the next day. I like to toast a wholemeal pitta(healthy b) cut it in half, spread some phili light inside and add the warmed up bolognese for scrummy pitta pouches! Filling, quick and totally delicious! Hope this helps x x

I do the same as above (veg, tinned tomatoes, garlic) but I also add Schwartz Garlic Italian (syn free) which is found next to the other herbs and spices. It makes it tastes very similar to Dolmio x

Mines is the same but I add mixed herbs, tsp of sweetner and a beef oxo x

Back