Syn free condiments - if there is such a thing

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by sweet-simplicity, 16 February 2011 Social URL.

1. sweet-simplicity

sweet-simplicity New Member

Hiya Guys

Basically my downfall is not chocolate, but tomato ketchup.

Honestly, can't eat a meal without the stuff! And that really takes up precious syns I do have.

I was hoping somebody could suggest some syn free condiments I could try instead of tomato ketchup. Or a syn free ketchup would be amazing! But is there such a thing?

Hope you can help me out :)

xoxo

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. lurverick

lurverick Now to maintain.....

Start Weight:
    12st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st3lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(31.4%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world.
    if you search the recipie bit there are recipies for a syn free tomato sauce and a syn free barbeque sauce.
    both are gorgeous and i depended on them throughout my journey although now im at target i dont bother i just use normal.

4. x-tuesdayemma-x

x-tuesdayemma-x Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(6.78%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    a fellow ketchup lover myself i was eager to make a syn free ketchup in one of the slimming world magazines a month or two back, however i was very diapointed, i followed the measurements and ingredients exactly only to find a disgusting spicy vinagar tasting sauce, not very helpful for what you wer asking i know but just thought id share my ketchup disappointment :(

5. Spicy

Spicy Lurker

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I have worcestershire sauce which is free.

6. Stefanie

Stefanie Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st8lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st10.5lb(24.08%)
    I made the syn free BBQ sauce and although, yes it tasted nice, it wasn't quite BBQ sauce and had a backing taste of sweetener/artificial taste. My OH loved it and said I could bottle the stuff haha, so maybe it is because you know what's in it?? Some sort of voodoo psychological thing at work :D

As for tomato sauce...I don't ever want to replicate the yumminess of organic heinz!! :)

7. Tinsel81

Tinsel81 Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ketchup is my weakness too. I get the reduced salt and sugar stuff so I feel at least a bit virtuous, even though syns are the same.

If you're a gravy fan, there's a nice recipe somebody linked to on their blog for a syn-free onion gravy. It was a tasty alternative to my usual Bisto Best Roast Onion and good for saving syns.

8. mojomcl

mojomcl Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st5lb
    Current Weight:
    20st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I've seen a few recipes, but not tried any as they look very faffy.

Personally I use pasatta, and add balsamic, sweetner, a teensy bit garlic powder, soy and woucestershire sauce, tweaking the amounts until it tastes right. Give it a good shake and keep in the fridge. I used this for a couple of years, until Branston took out their ketchup, and I find that one VERY difficult to resist lol

9. Gettingthinnerbytheday

Gettingthinnerbytheday Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I make the syn free BBQ sauce & find its good. Only thing I don't like is the chopped onions in it so I use some onion granuals instead :D

10. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I made this & it didn't taste right at all X

11. Tinsel81

Tinsel81 Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I used to make a nice Chinese BBQ sauce which was soy sauce, tomato puree, garlic, ginger, pinch of Chinese five spice and some sweetener. It made a really nice glaze or marinade and was ok for dipping too. I guess the tomato puree would need to be synned though, unless passata is substituted but the tomato puree does thicken it up a bit.

12. LizzyC86

LizzyC86 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(3.7%)
    Diet:
    WW Pro Points
    i often make yoghurt and mint sauce which is free, or keep a jar of salsa in the fridge which is almost syn free - really cant stand dry food!

13. frugal fifer

frugal fifer Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    5st9lb(29.59%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I was the same, that recipe was in a mag a couple of years ago too and I remember getting the red wine vinegar esp for it and having to throw it out!

14. Skulldilocks

Skulldilocks Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.29%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Think I'm going to end up living off of salsa as again massive ketchup lover here however love spice! Is there anywhere on here with a list of condiments syns? I will be starting class on Thursday but just as basic knowledge? I can't seem to go a meal wihtout sme kind of sauce on it? Mayo, BBQ, Ketchup, Dressings, Mustard?

15. Ophelia105

Ophelia105 Silver Member

I like red onion chutney.

Frylite red onion and garlic. Add balsamic vinegare and water and Splenda - simmer for ages. The Splenda takes the vinegary taste away - as does the chilis I add some times. I've also added apple and made a similar one with mango. Try it with a baked pot and cheese or on a quorn burger. My next batch will be used to make a goats cheese and red onion tart using a Smash base like the SW pizza.

16. lisajade

lisajade Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    20st0.5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    I have some pickled beetroot on the side, it's nice and tangy like ketchup :)

17. Skulldilocks

Skulldilocks Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.29%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Bleh not a fan of beetroot :( May have to try this DIY ketchup and hope for the best!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.