Syn free condiments - if there is such a thing

Hiya Guys

Basically my downfall is not chocolate, but tomato ketchup.

Honestly, can't eat a meal without the stuff! And that really takes up precious syns I do have.

I was hoping somebody could suggest some syn free condiments I could try instead of tomato ketchup. Or a syn free ketchup would be amazing! But is there such a thing?

Hope you can help me out :)

xoxo

if you search the recipie bit there are recipies for a syn free tomato sauce and a syn free barbeque sauce.
both are gorgeous and i depended on them throughout my journey although now im at target i dont bother i just use normal.

a fellow ketchup lover myself i was eager to make a syn free ketchup in one of the slimming world magazines a month or two back, however i was very diapointed, i followed the measurements and ingredients exactly only to find a disgusting spicy vinagar tasting sauce, not very helpful for what you wer asking i know but just thought id share my ketchup disappointment :(

I made the syn free BBQ sauce and although, yes it tasted nice, it wasn't quite BBQ sauce and had a backing taste of sweetener/artificial taste. My OH loved it and said I could bottle the stuff haha, so maybe it is because you know what's in it?? Some sort of voodoo psychological thing at work :D

As for tomato sauce...I don't ever want to replicate the yumminess of organic heinz!! :)

Ketchup is my weakness too. I get the reduced salt and sugar stuff so I feel at least a bit virtuous, even though syns are the same.

If you're a gravy fan, there's a nice recipe somebody linked to on their blog for a syn-free onion gravy. It was a tasty alternative to my usual Bisto Best Roast Onion and good for saving syns.

I've seen a few recipes, but not tried any as they look very faffy.

Personally I use pasatta, and add balsamic, sweetner, a teensy bit garlic powder, soy and woucestershire sauce, tweaking the amounts until it tastes right. Give it a good shake and keep in the fridge. I used this for a couple of years, until Branston took out their ketchup, and I find that one VERY difficult to resist lol

I make the syn free BBQ sauce & find its good. Only thing I don't like is the chopped onions in it so I use some onion granuals instead :D

I used to make a nice Chinese BBQ sauce which was soy sauce, tomato puree, garlic, ginger, pinch of Chinese five spice and some sweetener. It made a really nice glaze or marinade and was ok for dipping too. I guess the tomato puree would need to be synned though, unless passata is substituted but the tomato puree does thicken it up a bit.

i often make yoghurt and mint sauce which is free, or keep a jar of salsa in the fridge which is almost syn free - really cant stand dry food!

x-tuesdayemma-x said:
a fellow ketchup lover myself i was eager to make a syn free ketchup in one of the slimming world magazines a month or two back, however i was very diapointed, i followed the measurements and ingredients exactly only to find a disgusting spicy vinagar tasting sauce, not very helpful for what you wer asking i know but just thought id share my ketchup disappointment :(

I was the same, that recipe was in a mag a couple of years ago too and I remember getting the red wine vinegar esp for it and having to throw it out!

Think I'm going to end up living off of salsa as again massive ketchup lover here however love spice! Is there anywhere on here with a list of condiments syns? I will be starting class on Thursday but just as basic knowledge? I can't seem to go a meal wihtout sme kind of sauce on it? Mayo, BBQ, Ketchup, Dressings, Mustard?

I like red onion chutney.

Frylite red onion and garlic. Add balsamic vinegare and water and Splenda - simmer for ages. The Splenda takes the vinegary taste away - as does the chilis I add some times. I've also added apple and made a similar one with mango. Try it with a baked pot and cheese or on a quorn burger. My next batch will be used to make a goats cheese and red onion tart using a Smash base like the SW pizza.

Bleh not a fan of beetroot :( May have to try this DIY ketchup and hope for the best!

Back