Syn free houmous

sliminspired

So I've just made the syn free houmous from may/June mag It taste nice but I feel there's something missing Any suggestions What I could add to it?

how do you make the syn free houmous x

Magazine recipe - chick peas, fat free yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, salt pepper, garlic and blend I added coriander to it It's very edible but I feel there's something missing

I think the problem is that usually hummus has tahini in it which is a sesame paste. That is what gives it the distinctive flavour. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good alternative and the hummus recipes I've tried always feel lacking. Just had a thought though, for only 2 syns, perhaps a tsp of sesame oil might perk it up a bit? Let me know if it works!!!!
Liz
X

I think the problem is that usually hummus has tahini in it which is a sesame paste. That is what gives it the distinctive flavour. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good alternative and the hummus recipes I've tried always feel lacking. Just had a thought though, for only 2 syns, perhaps a tsp of sesame oil might perk it up a bit? Let me know if it works!!!!
Liz
X

Thanks liz84 - I will give it ago Does tahini paste have lots of sins in it? 2 syns of sesame oil is not that much surely the paste can't have that much syns in it!!!

Well tahini is 4.5 syns per tbsp but I don't think it's quite as intense tasting as the oil so you might need a fair amount. Not sure to be honest, it might have to be an experiment!!
Liz
X

I made some last night. 2 cans of chick peas, 3 cloves garlic, some lemon juice and a small tin of cottage cheese. Salt and pepper and some paprika. Blend with a few drops of water and voila! This made loads so going to freeze some. The closest thing to real hummus!

I make the one from the website, a can of chickpeas, 2 cloves garlic, lemon juice, roasted peppers, salt and pepper and a splash of water to get the right consistency. Goes lovely in a sandwich with roasted veg!

I would suggest adding tahini if it's plain hummus for a few syns - bearing in mind it makes loads so if you only have a small serving, you won't have that much!

Alternatively, for a syn-free hummus, you could add roasted red peppers (from the jars in supermarkets in brine) or chopped jalepenos etc. This makes it syn free and overcomes the need for the tahini to add the flavour.

My personal favourite is roasted red pepper.... mmmmm... might make some tonight now! x

Back