Syn free lemon curd

DellyLouLou

Syn-free Lemon Curd
Found this on another site so gonna give it a whirl - can also be varied for use as cake fillers etc

Ingredients:
3 heaped dessert spoons of sweetner
1 lemon, juiced and rind grated
2 large eggs
2oz virtually/fat free fromage frais

Method:
1. Mix the sweetner and lemon rind together in a small-ish glass bowl (small enough to fit into a pan of boiling water later)

2. Mix the eggs and lemon juice together then add to the sweetner and rind mixtue

3. Put glass bowl over water in a pan and heat gently for about 10 minutes

4. Whisk frequently until the mixture starts to thicken

5. Once the mixture is fairly thick, add your fromage frais and mix in well.

Tip: If desired, yellow food colouring can be added to make it look more 'lemon curd-ish'

Variation:
Exchange the lemon for orange
and add a belgian chocolate Options sachet at the same time as the fromage frais. This could be a nice chocolate cake filling

Let me know how you get on with this one and what you think!

Enjoy!

:D

Not a prob hun x

i tried this and found the fromage frais was not needed as it just turned it to a cream instead of lemon curd, 2tbspoons of splenda, juice and zest of a lemon and the yolk of an egg all mixed in a bowl over simmering water does the the job

applejack1pie said:
i tried this and found the fromage frais was not needed as it just turned it to a cream instead of lemon curd, 2tbspoons of splenda, juice and zest of a lemon and the yolk of an egg all mixed in a bowl over simmering water does the the job

Might try this my mate did it with fromage frais and we didnt think it was anything like lemon curd lol x

just made this...lovely thank you xx:D

I made this but used Greek 0% yogurt and it was delicious

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Do you think you could use quark or creme freche OR a vanilla yogurt? ... I have nothing else :D

Ela ine said:
Do you think you could use quark or creme freche OR a vanilla yogurt? ... I have nothing else :D

I'd go with creme freche

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well - I thought Id be clever and double the ingredients to make more - It didn't thicken so its back to the drawing board :cry:I will not be beaten

Do you use the egg yolks only or the whole eggs ?
One says eggs the other says egg yolks Just a tad CONFUSED!!

I have done the one at the top and you use whole eggs :)

I made a 2nd batch and used the whole egg :) Turned out better than the first lot but im still not sure if i like it or not. Took some to work this morning and 5 ppl ended up having it on their toast and 3 took the recipe so it cant be all bad haha

Made this and have eaten it all either in Greek yog or with a wicked white choc options cake cut placed a huge dollop of the lemon curd in and topped the whole pot of Mullerlight banana custard on.
It was yummmmmmmy!!

I made some Syn free lemon curd this afternoon but decided to cook it in the microwave instead. Gorgeous!! I put 2 large eggs and a teacup of granulated sweetener (or to taste) in a BIG microwave proof bowl and whisked it together with a hand whisk. Thought at this point you could add Butter Buds if you wanted. Then I added one teacup full of freshly squeezed lemon juice - this took 4 large lemons. Could add some grated zest too, I suppose, if you like. Anyway, I whisked it all together and cooked it on full power, stopping at one minute intervals to whisk it thoroughly so it didn't get any bits of egg cooking off and causing stringy bits! This took 8 minutes but, of course, your microwave might be quicker/slower. Waited until it was of a consistency to coat the back of a spoon and when it had cooled enough I put it into a covered bowl in the fridge, where it thickened up some more. Not quite as thick as shop bought but so much tastier! Thought I might try orange curd next time or even orange and lemon. Using some of this to fill a JS meringue nest (2.5 Syns) and will top with raspberries, as suggested by Debrigger. :D Might make a Half Syn Roulade over the weekend and fill it with lemon curd, raspberries or blueberries and a little sweetened Quark or WW crème fraiche (half a Syn per level tbsp.). Yum - the options are endless! x

Back