Snacks Syn Free Snack

Chrissie J

Hi,

For all who love salted roast peanuts, but have had to drastically cut the amount you eat because they are very high in syns, you will hopefully love this.

Recently i was recommended a snack recipe which makes a good substitute for salted peanuts....and its free of syns

Basically you take a tin of either chick peas or red kidney beans, drain and rinse them off. Pat most of the water off and sprinkle with your choice of herbs, spices and sea salt. Mix them all about to make sure you get a good even cover. (I particularly like sea salt and lots of chilli powder) Then roast in the oven for about 30-45 mins at about 190 in a fan oven. I think that’s about 200 in a normal oven???

You should end up with a nice syn free crunchy and salty snack. Yum Yum. You can play around with the herb and spice combo to suit your taste or mood.

I hope this has helped some of you.

x

That sounds great =)

Which would you recommend, chickpeas or kidney beans? Also do you think you could make up a batch and store them for a few days?

Hi Katie

I would recommend the chickpeas. I’ve not needed to store them before as they don’t normally last that long. I can go through a tins worth in one sitting. Especially, if sat in front of the TV watching a good film. I’ve been told they do store well in an air tight container for a few days though. I hope this is of some help.

Chrissie

thank you =)

I will try this in the next few days, I will try some different seasonings and find my favourite!

Hi, these are yummy!!! I made 2 batches up with chickpeas, 1 I put lamb oxo on and the other chicken with dried thyme (tastes like the walkers sensations). Really tasty and even my hubby was starting to pinch them....off to tescos for me now to buy some more.

We would have to syn these as it's not using the food how it's intended, right?

I disagree, chickpeas are intended to be cooked. I think that if you would consume loads and loads of them all the time and wouldn't normally eat something of a similar calorie content at all then yeah you technically should syn them. However, if you eat them occasionally, and instead of eating something else then no its just eating chickpeas. For example, if it's a choice between roasted chickpeas and making up a pasta 'n' sauce, well that's just eating your free food allowance.

That doesn't make any sense I realise this lol.

We would have to syn these as it's not using the food how it's intended, right?
I had this discussion at group last week. Apparently I'm allowed to blend chickpeas in to hummus but not slice and bake potatoes for crisps? Baked chick peas sound AMAZING. yum!

They do sound nice but I just want to know for sure if I should syn them before I make them lol

just made these seasoned with salt, garlic and chilli powder, ate some alone - they are nice. Then mixed the rest in with sundried tomato and garlic couscous its lovely (though not syn-free anymore)

Wouldn't they be free on a Green day? Maybe not on Extra Easy/Red though??

Why would they have to be synned?

From SW Website - same answer applies to these Chickpea "Nuts".

ARE COUSCOUS CAKE AND LASAGNE-SHEET DORITOS FREE?

You might be disappointed to hear that they’re not. Because changing the use of a food can make it easier to over-eat, to protect your weight loss they become Synned.
When foods like pasta, rice and grains are used in their original form they’re low in energy density (calories), bulky, appetite-satisfying foods. Pasta, couscous and rice are usually the main ingredient in a meal packed with other Free Foods – giving it sufficient bulk to be satisfying as a meal in itself. However, when ground down, used as flour (like in couscous cake), seasoned crisps (like Doritos) or puréed (like smoothies) they’re often used as additions to a main meal… and on top of your day’s Syns. It is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky way, and as such would then be counted as Syns.

What a shame they have to be synned. Still going to try make them for hubbie and will try them myself as a treat. Thanks for the recipe x

Back