Syn hoarding

I've seen this discussed a number of times and what I've taken from it is that SW don't encourage you to do it that way but if it works for you and doesn't affect your losses then I don't see it being a problem. I think it partly depends on what your personality is too - if you can have one day in the week high syn and still stick to plan and low syn the rest of the week then that's good but some people find that they have a high syn day which turns into 2 or 3 and makes sticking to plan harder.

SW have changed their views on this over the years as it was always allowed. I think the change is more to do with not encouraging binge eating rather than not losing weight. I don't think it has much effect on weight loss, obviously, you wouldn't eat a load of SYNS a day or 2 before your weigh in, but generally speaking it can help some people stay on track.
I think it's one of those things that if it works for you, ie keeps you on track....then do it!!

I would find it hard...as once you have a big blow out its harder to restart

There are a couple of options if you think you're going to go over syns on a particular day. The first and the one SW will recommend being flexisynning, you choose a maximum number of syns for the day in advance (say 20 or 30) which you don't go over and then get back on plan the next day. It's meant for special occasions and not a weekly thing. You have to be prepared for the fact you don't lose that week, but then again, you just might. There is link to flexisynning http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wor...xisynning.html (Flexisynning)

The other option which SW don't endorse but what you are suggesting is to look at your syns over a week rather than a day, so 15 x 7 = 105 for the week. You could for example have 5 syns a day for 6 days (30 syns) and leave yourself 75 syns for a night out or you could have 20 on one day and 10 on the other to balance things out. Again, this doesn't work for everyone and is a case of trial and error to see how you get on. (I use it and it works just fine) If you are at group your consultant will not promote you doing this and will suggest you flexisyn so I would suggest you keep it under your hat ;).

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I am trying it (counting down from 105) this week and am finding it easier to stick to plan for some reason.. I will see how it goes with the WI on Tuesday. Trial and error I guess.

I think as I find it so satisfying still seeing a big number of syns written down I'm less inclined to use them. Sounds weird but it's working well this week!

I only go to an express group, so I wouldn't have anyone to tell even if I wanted to, ha!

Make sure you use at least 35 over the week (5 a day) as some people find NOT having enough syns affects their losses badly!

I have mine on weigh in night. Otherwise I use 0-5 most days

I find weekly less stressful! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I tend to have a max of 5 syns a day then allow myself a meal off (don't even count the syns!) so far it's working for me. This week My naughty meal was a small pizza express pizza , some garlic bread with 3 large glasses of wine and a kinder bueno! I find I can get back on it really easily and it helps me get through the week. Going for an Indian Friday so that will be my naughty meal.

This is my first week (weigh in tonight!) and I have used my syns weekly rather than daily as had my engagement BBQ on Saturday where I had 30 syns but didn't use my 10 on the day before or the day after to make up for it...will find out how that's worked out for me at class I guess!!

There's always been a lot of debate on this. For me personally, I always took my syns weekly. That works for me. I like (or at least I did before I became pregnant!) to have a bottle of wine on a Friday and Saturday night. A bottle of red wine is 25 syns, so that alone would take me over my allowance if I were to take syns daily.

For Slimming World to become a lifestyle change, and not a 'diet' you need to have some semblance of stuff you enjoy, to prevent it from becoming a chore. Doing things the way I have above has made this plan work for me for the last 4 years.

Thanks everyone - lots of good comments! :)

(If I'd logged on before the weekend I may've stuck to plan more, totally messed up, will power diminishing!)

a blip is ok we are human BUT put it behind,you and don't be negative...you do have willpower don't let one slip start an avalanche...get back on track today..one day at a time

a blip is ok we are human BUT put it behind,you and don't be negative...you do have willpower don't let one slip start an avalanche...get back on track today..one day at a time

Thank you :) I have been struggling for a couple of weeks now, I KNOW what to do and I KNOW that it works when I stick to it, I don't know what's wrong with me, it's really getting me down, dreading weigh in at lunchtime today.

(If I read this I'd think - pull yourself together!! You can do it!!)

Back on track today, it's a new day!!

Back