syn value for a homemade cake

speccy4eyes

Silver Member
My daughter is making cakes at school today as part of her lifeskills class.
I know she will want me to try one but I have no idea how to syn for something that is homemade simply by looking at ingredients
Does anyone have any ideas ?

The teacher has given me the ingredients as
4 oz of butter
4 oz of self raising flour
4 oz of caster sugar
and 2 eggs

Sounds very bog standard sponge cake.........makes 18 cupcakes (apparently)

Next week they are making the cakes off of the mary berry recipe cards (free in the daily mail this week) so It would help if someone could give me the syn values per measurements so I dont have to ask again next week and I can try and work it out myself in the future lol

thanks in advance

When i made cakes for my birthday it was worked out that they would be 5 syns a cake and that was pretty much the same ingredients. You need to work out each ingredient individually (they are all in the book/online), add them together and then divide by however many cakes there are. If no one else does it i'll work it out for you later if i get time.

EDIT:
I did it now while i have chance.
Flour is 4 per 25g, caster sugar 5.5 for 28g, butter 3.5 for 10g

I've added a few syns onto each ingredient incase it she goes over a bit. I get..
sugar 24 syns, flour 19, and butter 42. So 85 for the entire mix...divided by the 18 cakes it apparently makes 4.7 ...so 5 syns. If she has more or less cakes than 18 just dived 85 by how ever many she made, it might reduce or increase the syns a little :)

Last edited:
Are you a member? You can just check the syn values of each ingredient on syns oline or in your book. If youre not a member you can still get the books on ebay.

Just add up the syns for all the ingredients and then divide by however many you make :)

So:

4 oz of butter - 9.5 per 25g so 42.5 syns for 112g/4oz
4 oz of self raising flour - 4 per 25g so 18 syns for 112g/4oz
4 oz of caster sugar - 5 per 25g so 22.5 syns for 112g/4oz
2 eggs - eggs are Free

So 42.5 + 18 + 22.5 = 83 syns for the lot.

If she makes it into 18 it will be 4.5 syns each. :)

Well we almost got the same :p

wow
that was a quick response
Thank you to both of you
In answer to your questions
NO, I am not a member, I started doing slimming world from home to support a mate who has now dropped out again, but I'm still going
I have 3 books at my disposal (all 2011) low syns snacks, free branded foods and the food directory (which I am waiting to take delivery of)
Are there any others that I need (I know they are probably slightly out of dat but I have been updating them with info from this site

So 4.5 syns a cake......I can live with that seeing as I only seem to be getting through a maximum of 5 syns most days

Thanks again

Back