Synesthesia? Anyone want to play?

Bess

Plod, plod, plod.....
For ever I've seen names, letters and numbers in colour (sometimes sounds too) and thought everyone did. Seems I might be a little unusual!?? Wacky? Moi?
Anyway, it's called Synesthesia and I like it.
So:
1=red
2=blue
3=pink
4=green, the dark leaf green.
5=yellow
6=red, a bit orangier than 1
7=greeny blue
8=apricoty colour
9=orangey yellow
10=dark blue, bit sparkly.

By the way, Katie is a very pretty shade of pale orange/yellow, Alli is red, Lelly a leaf green, Laura is dark green .......nuts or what?!

What about you lot then?

I've never heard of this but it sounds awesome! Have just got up so seeing everything fuzzy at the minute :)

ohh never heard of this and how weird that you thought of me as green, as this is and always has been my favourite colour and so much of my wardrobe consists of green!

ohh never heard of this and how weird that you thought of me as green, as this is and always has been my favourite colour and so much of my wardrobe consists of green!

You're a lovely soft spring green Lelly.:)

In our family we thought it was just a thing we did, one of those daft family things, you know. My OH thinks we are bats, he can't do it, but DD no 2 heard an article about it on Woman's Hour, so I 'listened again' and found it has a name! So there's lots of us who are bats too!!

I'll play....

1 Red
2 Blue
3 Yellow
4 Pink
5 Green
6 Black
7 Orange
8 Yellow
9 Purple
10 White

I've realised I don't do this normally...

Don't do it normally? You mean you don't normally tell people or don't you see numbers, letters and words in colour?

What am I please? :rolleyes:

You are bluey/purple my Darling, not very dark, sort of violet and a changing colour, a bit iridescent, very pretty.

Aww, how lovely! You have brought tears to my eyes! Pathetic but thank you!! :p

:) x

This is really cool! I don't see colours in names, words or letters but I do give people I know colours. Most of my friends are a certain colour and funnily enough I always see myself as raspberry (pinkish) red.

If I was going to try and give colours to you guys - I would give...

Katy - purple
Bess - deep blue / green (not decided)
Lelly CD - Yellow
Curly - Sky blue (bright blue)
Wales - moss green
Laura Croft - straw yellow

Complete guesses based on what i know of you from your posts :). I also like to give people a season. I'm Late Summer / early Autumn.

So don't worry Bess - you're not the only wacky one around here!

Don't do it normally? You mean you don't normally tell people or don't you see numbers, letters and words in colour?
I don't see numbers etc in colour. I've heard about it, and I'm loving this conversation though :)

Lelly CD - Yellow
Wales - moss green

!
straw.jpg

Like this?

Well - not really like straw - I couldn't think of a good way to describe it. More like a chick really - a light yellow but not pale....If I knew how to insert an image I'd find one LOL.

EDIT - Or like an unwaxed lemon - sorry I'm not very good at describing colour but as just cutting up a lemon for my dinner and realised it was the right colour! :D

Last edited:
This is really cool! I don't see colours in names, words or letters but I do give people I know colours. Most of my friends are a certain colour and funnily enough I always see myself as raspberry (pinkish) red.

If I was going to try and give colours to you guys - I would give...

Katy - purple
Bess - deep blue / green (not decided)
Lelly CD - Yellow
Wales - moss green

Complete guesses based on what i know of you from your posts :). I also like to give people a season. I'm Late Summer / early Autumn.

So don't worry Bess - you're not the only wacky one around here!

Ah but do you give them colours because you choose to, or do they sort of have colours without you thinking about it? Because if it's the latter, you have synesthesia too!
Interesting about the seasons, I can't see that one, it's very much a matter of conscious preference for a particular one for me. See if you can give me the season I like best of all and I'll tell you tomorrow if you are right!
Really coincidental the colours you have picked out for me. My very favourite colours are blue and green! Clever you!

Ah but do you give them colours because you choose to, or do they sort of have colours without you thinking about it? Because if it's the latter, you have synesthesia too!

Oh I choose to but have done it forever - my Mum does it too. She is the one that got me into seasons - and it's not really about whether it's your favourite or not but the colouring and different personalities of each I guess. My Mum thinks I'm an Autumn / Winter and she is probably right - I think my own late summer / autumn label is how I seem myself but not necessarily how I'm seen by others...

I would say that you are spring....:flirt2:

Wow! Absolutely right!! Amazing. I love the spring, the absolute very best bit is May/June though. May just has the edge I think. Clever you, I'm so impressed. :happy096:

Ohhhhh! Missed this last night! Have read about this I think in a novel, can't recall the name. Loved the idea of it. I don't do it... I am quite number dyslexic, so seeing them in colour might have helped a bit!

I like the idea of being orangey yellow because it sounds sunny and warm, but having dark brown hair those cols don't suit me in real life, have nothing at all those colours. But my lovely Dad, yellow was his fave colour, I always associate it with him. He had an amazing (scary) yellow waistcoat. Quite something for a working class boy who repaired/built cars all his life! He was a true eccentric and an inspiration, so I associate that colour with life I suppose, and enthusiasm, and a certain wildness. If I ever see sunflowers I buy them to take to the grave, they were his fave flower.

So... sidetracked, but happy to be orangey yellow.

Alli's assigned col even more interesting. My fave col is rich moss green, which I love, but am sitting here today in purple Laura Ashley shift dress & bright pink cardi. I love the combination, and it suits me, so I know I will be buying more purple.

I can't decide on a season, as I love them all... get kind of 'emotionally involved' in each season, LOVE the changing, LOVE the nature. Spring might be the fave though as you are so desperate for it after a long scottish winter! I could never live somewhere that didn't have four distinct seasons.

I have been trying to do this but nope, doesn't wok for me, only ones that ring a bell are Alli's Lelly-yellow & Curly blue, but that's only because I am thinking of the yellow flower & the turquoise dress in the profile pics. Doh.

Great thread Bess. Can we all have a pair of rose-coloured glasses to see the world through?

xxx

LOL - Part of the reason I see Lelly as yellow is no doubt the flower in her signature, but also her sunny and warm personality :)

I see you as an autumn person btw...

It isn't really about what colours suit you....it's ....it's ...something else.

The name..Katy..well, not just the name really because there are other Katy's but your name. I 'see' the name written in my mind's eye and it's just that colour - warm slightly orangey yellow.

I thought everyone did it, for years, well you would, wouldn't you? :)

And music - well you should see it!! A kaleidoscope of colour, depending on the piece, constantly on the move of course!
Sometimes people change colour, when they are ill for example. Or just growing up can do it. My eldest daughter used to be such a pretty translucent salmony pink with gold edges, now she's 25 she's got deeper colours too, warm russety shades all mixed in.

You lot are going to think I am completely barking!! Surely someone else must do the same?

Last edited:
Have never met anyone, but it IS in this book... perfectly described... will try & think of it & send you! I know it's miles away from colours that suit... just explaining that I don't do it, really! I wonder if it is like seeing auras? Do you ever see dark/ominous cols for people you're not sure of? Or is that a different kind of thing? And seeing illness... could be scary.

The music though... wow. Would love that. You are so lucky!

xxx

Back