syns

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by helen1985, 1 October 2009 Social URL.

1. helen1985

helen1985 Member

Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hello i was wondering if anyone knows a way to calculate syns? i have been doing this a week and am loving it but trying to get my head around syns... ie what makes a food high or low in syns. is it calories or fat or carbs? and is there a way of working out a foods syns if isnt listed in the book? xxx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Hi Helen,
    Not all foods have a syn value - you need to use your book a lot in the first few weeks to see what is free and what is not.
    Basically though, if it's a treat type food - crisps, sweets, choc, biscuits, booze etc it will have a syn value equivalent to 20cals per syn. These are pretty much empty calories!
    All foods like bread/cereal have a syn value if not used as a Healthy Extra.
    Some foods have free food allowances in them but also have syn values, like some ready meals.
    Use the SW website or buy a food directory for more syn values but do read your book, it will help!

4. helen1985

helen1985 Member

Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    ok great!! where do i buy a food directory as i don't go to the classes! xx

5. Laddiesboy

Laddiesboy I ♥ Slimming World :)

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st12lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(29.17%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Even if you don't intend to stick with the classes it would pay you to join. That way you get the books and the chat from your consultant, and the benefit of the first meeting.

6. helen1985

helen1985 Member

Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    i have the start up books that i got in a little folder from a friend. are there more books i can buy? i dont have time to visit classes as i work mixed up but long hours! xx

7. chunky-monkey77

chunky-monkey77 i seriously swear i am up 2 no good !

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(15.24%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    hi there as far as i know every 20kcal is 1 syn . hope this helps good luck and welcome

8. paperclip

paperclip Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    The 20 calories = 1 syn only works for things that have no free food in them at all - it won't work for something like a vegeburger, ready meal, etc.

You could sign up for the online version of SW if you can't make classes, but remember that they do have arrangements for people on shifts (like me) that can't always make it if you can possibly find 1 hr each week to go to class!

Big food directory which has syns for just about everything in the shops can either be bought by phoning up SW head office or on eBay (but expensive on there!).

Hope that helps.

9. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I understand from another board that it is no longer possible for non-members to buy books over the telephone. Sw are missing out on an opportunity there if you ask me!

10. helen1985

helen1985 Member

Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I agree there are a lot of people who dont want to attend the meeting but would buy the merchandise. i dont think the people are going to the meetings just to buy stuff, they wouldnt lose people from meetings just get an extra income from everyone else!! xx

11. paperclip

paperclip Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    Oops! Sorry, didn't realise things had changed!

Do you know anyone who goes to a local class who could buy one on your behalf if you give them the money?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.