Tall ladies?! 5'8 ish?? BMI madness or delusion?!

I am also 5'9 and once got down to 12st 4 - I was slim even if I did still have a BMI at 26! I'd lost 4 stone and was strutting it in a bikini on hols, flat stomach but still curvy 10-12/14 size. I then went to the doctors for the first time in ages and told him what I'd done - his answer was "well your still overweight". This really got to me and next time I've learned I'll stop at the weight that suits me, not some stupid medical chart!

emzybop said:
I am also 5'9 and once got down to 12st 4 - I was slim even if I did still have a BMI at 26! I'd lost 4 stone and was strutting it in a bikini on hols, flat stomach but still curvy 10-12/14 size. I then went to the doctors for the first time in ages and told him what I'd done - his answer was "well your still overweight". This really got to me and next time I've learned I'll stop at the weight that suits me, not some stupid medical chart!

That's exactly why I'm so determined to get my BMI below 25, lol. I have to go to the doctor's quite a lot, as I have numerous health issues, and I don't want them to ever be able to tell me I'm overweight, even by a few pounds. I started out as morbidly obese, so it's obviously a big improvement to be "only" overweight, but it's become a personal goal to be "normal". We all know BMI's a load of rubbish, but until the medical profession finally admit that and ditch it, they'll always use it as a stick to beat us with unfortunately! But I absolutely agree that you should stick with a weight you're happy with - that's what I planned to do originally, until I decided I'd go for broke and aim for under 25. :) xx

It's definitely a personal thing to how you feel best, however the doctors are always going to advise you to get your BMI below 25 because of the associate health benefits. Whether you choose to or not is up to you though.

I'm a bit taller than most if you at 6 foot and currently weigh 12st 6.5lbs. This feels heavy for me and I would like to get to 10st 9 which is where I feel most comfortable and confident.

Just keep aiming to lose and then re-evaluate each time you reach a milestone. There is a lady in my class that has altered her target probably 5 times. Every time she gets there she says she doesn't quite feel right yet!

Im 5ft 7.5 and my target is 12.5 then see how I feel. I do work with a girl your height who is 11stone and shes a stick. Just ignore the bmi and when your happy try to maintain x

I think if you've got a bust and a bum, then the BMI just doesn't seem to be able to cope - and anyway, it's supposed to be an indicator, not an absolute

If you're happy at 12st 7, then set that as your goal - better to be happy with something you can maintain than unhappy trying to lose a few pounds just to meet an arbitrary (and average) target

That's what I think, anyway :)

Hello,
I don't know if im posting this in the right place or allowed to? I have a diary where I usually rant.

Im 5'8 and according to my doctor my ideal weight is between 9 stone 7!!! and 11 stone 7.

I was aiming for 12stone 7 as this is the lowest I ever remember being and I was about 17 at the time!

If I was anywhere near 9stone 7 I think Id look horrific.

Can anyone else around my height give me some advice - am I deluding myself do I need to lose more when I get to 12.7??

I know what you mean Emma!! I'm 5ft 11 and according to the BMI chart 12st 12lb is the heaviest I can weigh to be in the 'healthy' range, which is obviously where I long to be, but I haven't weighed that since I was a teenager! I'll just keep going and see where I get to, I've got a lot to lose so I'm taking it in stages. x

I think the BMI's here are a bit off - when I was at my smallest I was 11st10lbs and I looked gaunt (I'm 5ft9) But I have put my goal as 12st7lbs which according to most BMI calculators is 24.9 - but isn't on here...Don't really understand!

kosherdieter said:
I think the BMI's here are a bit off - when I was at my smallest I was 11st10lbs and I looked gaunt (I'm 5ft9) But I have put my goal as 12st7lbs which according to most BMI calculators is 24.9 - but isn't on here...Don't really understand!

Hiya. 12st 7lbs and 5'9" is BMI 25.84. For my height of 5'8" the healthy range top weight is 11st 10lbs, so I've set 11st 7lbs as the most I want to weigh. :) xx

image-1470986658.jpg

Last edited:
I also read somewhere recently that BMI was originally developed for health insurance and 27 was set as the top normal BMI but the insurers changed it to 25 so they could charge more people extra premiums... Not sure if there is any truth in it though

I also read somewhere recently that BMI was originally developed for health insurance and 27 was set as the top normal BMI but the insurers changed it to 25 so they could charge more people extra premiums... Not sure if there is any truth in it though

No, that's not true, BMI levels were set by the WHO, having been around since the 1800s. Although obviously insurance companies, along with the medical profession, will use BMI as a yardstick because they've got nothing better! The best bet is just to aim for a BMI below 25, then they can't nitpick, lol, that's been my theory throughout this process anyway. :) xx

I'm 5'9", and when I was younger I weighed a flat 12st7lbs (oh how I wish my weight had stayed unchangeable!) so I reckon that was the perfect weight for my body as I never went up or down. I went for a check up at the docs at the time and was weighed (told it was fine) and had my waist measured (solidly in the green and healthy zone) so 12st7lbs is my target weight too!

At that weight I was a size 14 in jeans and a 12 in tops, flat stomach and could pull off a bikini. I was fairly active and I do seem to build muscle easily so I think this contributed to my weight, as well as having a little junk in the trunk haha. Whenever anyone heard my weight at the time they were always shocked as I never looked heavy, despite all my friends being short and teeny.

I was also 100% confident in my appearance at that size and never felt fat (hence it being the benchmark I've set myself).

i am 5'10 and a half and my ideal weight is 12.7 although this is still above a healthy bmi? ridiculous really! i am still going for that weight as any lower would look silly as i have been under this weight before

:)

natalieelise1 said:
i am 5'10 and a half and my ideal weight is 12.7 although this is still above a healthy bmi? ridiculous really! i am still going for that weight as any lower would look silly as i have been under this weight before

:)

No, that's ok, that's a BMI of 24.8, so officially healthy. :) xx

oh thats good to hear :)

Hi folks, I am 6ft 3ish. When I first checked up on the BMI idea it said I needed to be 11stn!Last time I got down to 12 stn something and my hip bones were sticking out and I looked terminally ill. So I am not convinced that BMI's work over certain heights. So I am going on how I feel. I am aiming to be a size 14 again. I am not even remotely athletic so I can't blame muscle mass!!

My physio says mid 12s was about right for me so I think i will take that. Got to be better than 22 something!!

L

I'm 5"9 currently 15st 3lbs & a size 16. According to the NHS BMI calculator my ideal weight is between 8st 11lbs and 11st 14lbs which is crazy!!.

When end I met my husband 8 years ago I was a size 10 and around 12st 6lbs. 8st 11lbs seems really thin for someone my hight :/

I'm 5"9 currently 15st 3lbs & a size 16. According to the NHS BMI calculator my ideal weight is between 8st 11lbs and 11st 14lbs which is crazy!!.

When end I met my husband 8 years ago I was a size 10 and around 12st 6lbs. 8st 11lbs seems really thin for someone my hight :/

Yes, because you'd be bordering on underweight if you were that light. Somewhere in the middle of the healthy range would be the place to aim. :)

Back