Tall ladies - Does it help if I can envisage being slim? I just can't

boardwitless

Silver Member
First, Great forum! I have found it so helpful over the past week since starting - for inspiration and answer to questions that have been asked before so big thanks for that

Right, first weigh in tomorrow after one week SS (and have done quite well even if I say so myself ;)) - I know I will have lost weight as my scales show a difference over the past few days. However, I'm tall (5'11') and can carry nearly 16 stone without really looking too overweight - my CDC was surprised I was that heavy. I can't say that I have ever had a usual weight as I can go up and down like a yoyo so I'm heading for a conservative 13 stone at first and then see how it goes.
My point is this - as my weight can easily fluctuate by a couple of stones and no-one really notices because I'm tall, the only thing I can envisage changing is the reading on the scales - that is, I can see myself at target weight by the scales but I still think I will be the same shape as I am today. Do I need to get a better body image in my head and will this help? (I'm buying clothes for holiday in July/Aug at size 18 as I can't see myself in smaller sizes!)

I have tried so many diets in the past and learned how to cheat on all of them so I'm finding the Cambridge ideal at the moment as there is no leeway for cheating. I'm hoping I can go all of the way but inspiration from taller ladies would help (what size are you now/ are you expecting to be? etc)

To be honest, I can't see it either! But I will be, and so will you! I don't think you can really until you get there. My advice though would be take photos, starting and along the way. It should help! There's only one point I saw myself as thin and that's when I saw a dress and for the first time in my life could see myself as smaller. And that was only a 16/18!

I'm strange with sizes, waist and bust are an 18/20 but my hips are a 24. I'm hoping to get down to a 12/14 and I'd be very happy!

Thanks Caroline, it's strange that I can remember having a 28" waist :cry:but I thought then that I was fat so I've never ever thought of myself as slim and can't imagine it now. My CDC is tall too so maybe I'll compare some of her 'before' pics to me now

I don't remember ever having a 28" waist! I have been overweight as long as I remember. I've got an underactive thyroid which makes it easier for me to put on weight, and as a child I easily piled on the pounds. A lot of stuff went on within my family and home life when I was young and I think I just turned to food. That's where I found my comfort. And I just didn't want to be noticed, and I think that helped. But obviously the more weight I put on the less active I became. And now I'm finally doing something about it! I've spent my entire teenage years being very overweight, I'm not spending all my 20's that way! So I'm determined to actually see first hand me thin, not just imagine it. And I think that's what helps me when I can't picture it!

A 28" is a size 8, that's definitely not fat!! I think you need to look at what it is that makes you feel like that. No matter what size or weight you are, you have to build up your self esteem so that when you look in the mirror you see yourself as the amazing, wonderful and gorgeous woman that you actually are. Now as well as at size 8!!

I'm tall and I put on 3 stone in a few months and only went up 1 dress size. I'm 15 stone now and a size 16. Want to lose another 2 and a half stone, hoping to get to a size 12 on top and a 14 bottom. I think visualization really helps me as I want to be slim so badly, but sometimes when I'm tempted I lose sight of that. Had a bad day today, but back 100% ss tomorrow, I am determined to get these last couple of stone off!!!

I've gone from a size 18/20 to a size 12 just since February, so this will happen sooner than you think. (I've never been a 12 in my life either!) Have a look at the Inspiration Slide Show to get an idea of how the diet has worked for other people - it's quite amazing. And look at the photo albums of outstanding dieters like Porgeous (http://www.minimins.com/members/3269-porgeous.html) which should really give you a boost.

I tend not to get too hung up on weight these days, it's size and appearance I'm more concerned with (my weight loss hasn't been amazing over the last few weeks, but I'm still a size 12!). Just be open-minded and let the diet do the rest! :)

Wow! I have just found the Inspirations Slide show and have gone all through it just saying "Oh My God" for the past 10 minutes. It really helps to see how shapes and faces have changed (and style and confidence has obviously improved!). I can envisage more how my shape may change now - and I need to get some photos done quickly before I begin to change so I can see a difference. Normally, I take the photos as I don't like to be on them!

Believe me you will sooooooooooooo be able to see the loss!!!
For me, it wasn't until I reached my goal weight and compared photos that I reaised just how big I was. I'd been fooling myself for years thinking yeah I'm 16 stone but I carry it well when no, actually I didn't.

I'm 5 10 and started at just over 16 stone, size 18 top and 20 bottoms. My CDC couldn't quite believe what I weighed the first time I went to see her and neither can anyone I've told since. I too seemed to be able to put a stone or two on and no one noticed.
I'm now at my target weight of 10 stone 7 and am currently a size 12 top and 14 bottom.
My closest friend has said for weeks that she can't get her head around the fact that I've lost 5 and a half stone as she never thought that I had that much to lose but we shocked ourselves today by looking at some holiday snaps taken a couple of years ago. We hadn't really looked at them since the holiday and when I last saw them I remember thinking I looked at bit larger than I would have liked to, however when I saw them today I was gobsmacked, I looked huge!!
I guess what I'm trying to say is yes, us tall girls carry 16 stone better than someone shorter and it's probably going to take a little longer for you to notice a difference or drop a dress size (took me over 2 stone to drop one size) but when you finally get to your goal weight your perception of the old you will change and you're not gonna believe the difference!
Best of luck and sorry for rambling. xx

I agree with Lard... I have kidded myself for many years. At first you do 'hide' the weight well and perhaps get away with being heavier than you look... then you get used to that size, and it creeps up, and you think, well, not good, but not SO obvious... you choose clever clothes and pretend it doesn't matter. This is the story of my life over the last 16 years. Having now lost almost 4 stone, I can say honestly that I was in denial, in equal parts hating my size and still hanging on to the thought that it might not look as bad as I thought. Well, I have the photos... it DID. I looked big, I looked obese, I looked exhausted and lost and older than I actually was. And now... I am slim again. I didn't think I would get here, but I am so, so glad that I did. And you can too... you will look fantastic and feel even better, so give it your best shot. Big hugs and all the luck in the world.

xxx

Back