Target - How did you set yours??

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Especially as i've never reached it??

Did you go by bmi??

I'd like to set one next week and buy a countdown to help towards my goal time but i'm not sure where to start?

Might be best to have a good chat with your c and they will be able to help you decide

I think for me it was simply down to the figure I want to see in the scales and it's within my healthy BMI.

Hey hun,

Setting target is an individual thing for everyone. I started by googling 'what should i weigh' it gives you a bmi calculator (follow link below) the 'normal' bmi is 25 so this gave me a starting point.

BMI healthy weight calculator - Health tools - NHS Choices

Then there are charts, either in your book or via the below link, this shows you the 'ideal' weight for your height so you could use this.
Find Out Your Ideal Weight with our Weight Chart, are you Over Weight

If you use the link below (and scroll down half the page) it gives you a table to show in lbs or kilos what your ideal weight is for your height
Ideal Weight For Women? Find Out Here (by Terry Kyle) - Find Out Your Ideal Weight Now - Ideal Weight For Women?

The only trouble with all of the above is that each person is an individual, i have quite a wide frame and know fine well that i would look pretty ridiculous at the lowest weight for my height (110lbs - which would mean i need to lose another 50lbs!!) I have set my target a few lbs above my heighest ideal weight, i can see what i look like when i get there (i have been to target recently so know i would like to use a few more lbs after it) and then once i reach this interim target i can move it lower if i so wish. You dont want to set yourself a target which is unachievable or wouldnt look right for you.

Good luck hun!!

xx

I've set mine as 10st, I remember years ago after having my 1st baby when I got to 10st I was really happy so i'm hoping i'll feel the same this time, knowing me I probably won't tho! :rolleyes:

Thanks ladies, i've been looking at my healthy bmi range and OMG!!!!

There was me thinking at just below 9st for my wedding i'd be well within the healthy range I was in fact at the top end of it!!!

Oh well, I think it is personal preference and I like the idea of settingan interim target and working towards that.

I think I will have a chat to my leader and get it arranged!!!

xx

I set my target to 11 stone 7,wich ends up at a bmi of 26,just a tiny bit out of the healthy bmi range,but im not sure if i would look right any lower lol

I am thinking for me rather than a goal weight - a perfect dress size would be great, to be able to go into any shop that pick a size 14 (never been smaller than a 16) would be my dream. My aim is to loose another 2 stone which will make me about 11st 6lb which I hope will equate to a 14!

I have set my target weight at 11st 7lbs which is still overweight according to my ideal BMI. However I am broad and quite muscular as I have (had) PCOS so I am going by dress size instead.

I was 11st 6lbs when I got married 8 years ago and I could run my hand around the inside of the waistband of the size 12 pair of leather trousers I got married in and the bum was a bit baggy too, but I wasn't slim enough for a 10 (never have been as an adult :sigh:). My corset was a size 16, but I am very top heavy and had to have it tailor made to accomodation a size 16 bust and a size 12 waist!

So I would say size rather than what the scales say - if I got down to the lower end of my healthy BMI I would look positively emaciated!

I also have to take into account that I am 52 now and being too thin will just make me look like a haggard old bag :eek: and I am very proud of the fact that nobody thinks I look anywhere near my age ;)

Mine is smack bang in the middle of what would be a healthy BMI reading for me, though that wasn't the only reason! My target's a number I can look down at on the scales and feel happy with - and know my doctor's not going to have a fit about!

I think it's a very individual thing, and to set it you need to figure out what's important to you. Some people in my group have even set a dress size target, because that's what it is they want to achieve :)

I set myself a target to loose 4st for my 65 birthday which was the 7th September, at last night's weigh-in I had lost 3st 11.5lbs, Almost!

I originally set my target at 10st 10lb but I have changed that to an initial target of 11st 10lb which is just inside my healthy BMI & I will see how I feel about lowering it when I reach that. I cannot remember the last time I weighed what I weigh now so I'm going to take it 1 step at a time from now on :D

I never knew what my target weight should be, didnt know how much I weighed when i was slimmer so set a target and when i got close reduced it, hit it, struggled to keep to it as kept losing, so reduced it again!

looking at weight ranges per the link, I am considered overweight (just)! Find Out Your Ideal Weight with our Weight Chart, are you Over Weight
but I am a size 6 - so how does that work.

No one can actually see that scale number, what they can see is you, and whether you want to achieve stick thin or curvy, or be happy to be in a size x as long as it is realistic, take it 7lbs at a time as you move down in weight

i have never been asked about target, for me to get to my bmi it would mean i need to lose another 5 stone, I will probably aim for the weight i was most comfortable and fit.

My first target was my club 10, second was another 7lbs, final target is lose another 3 lbs. Mini targets helped me and I won't change my final target now as it feels right and I can wear the size I want to comfortably

Lucylu79 said:
Thanks ladies, i've been looking at my healthy bmi range and OMG!!!!

There was me thinking at just below 9st for my wedding i'd be well within the healthy range I was in fact at the top end of it!!!

Oh well, I think it is personal preference and I like the idea of settingan interim target and working towards that.

I think I will have a chat to my leader and get it arranged!!!

xx

You must be about my height. I'm now 120 pounds, I have no idea what size frame I have tbh but I'm about in the middle of ideal weight, my bmi is about 22. i think like a lot of women I wonder about being smaller but I'm pretty happy the way I am.now. Good luck with yiur weight loss journey!! Xx

You must be about my height. I'm now 120 pounds, I have no idea what size frame I have tbh but I'm about in the middle of ideal weight, my bmi is about 22. i think like a lot of women I wonder about being smaller but I'm pretty happy the way I am.now. Good luck with yiur weight loss journey!! Xx

Nah lovely, your a whole 3inches taller than me!!!!!

Your weight losses are really good, well done, I would love to be 120lbs!!!

Lucylu79 said:
Nah lovely, your a whole 3inches taller than me!!!!!

Your weight losses are really good, well done, I would love to be 120lbs!!!

Thanks! Well whatever target you decide on you WILL get there soon enough, I wish you all the best! This is a great support network. Xx

Thanks! Well whatever target you decide on you WILL get there soon enough, I wish you all the best! This is a great support network. Xx

Your so right, i'm learning things about the plan that I never knew before! I hope I can take it all on board and get my weight loss kick started!:rolleyes:

Back