Tea Loaf - 4.5 syns per slice :)

missy1978

Big Bird
I adapted this recipe from one on the SW website and wanted to share as it's hands down the best low fat cake recipe I have tried yet! It comes out with an almost Soreen-like texture (not quite as chewy though!) so whilst not quite like traditional tea loaf it is still lovely and not at all dry like low fat cake can sometimes be. The syn value is from the SW website - all I added to the recipe was the spices.

1 cup of cold tea (I used an american cup measurement of earl grey)
227g dried fruit
227g self-raising flour
2 beaten eggs
6 level tbsp artificial sweetener (you can use more if you like but I didn't want it to be too sweet)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Soak the dried fruit in the tea overnight (or for as long as you can - it really does make the difference!)

Add all the other ingredients, mix until combined, then pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper

Bake at 180°C/Gas mark 4 for 40 minutes or until it looks done (brown on top and nice and firm).

Once cooled, remove from tin and slice into 15 slices.

Attachments

• image-3837319348.jpg
    image-3837319348.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 435
I made it again on the weekend - went down a treat with some non-SW friends! Might make one for group on Thursday...

Sounds lovely....I think I'll have to try this and soon...maybe soak the fruit tonight.
Shall freeze the slices to ration it out...yum

Looks great! I love baking and have missed it so much since found SW. Very happy to have found a low fat cake recipe that is actually nice! :) x

That curry is awesome :) Wish I had made it up, it's from a book called Appetite for Reduction - my fave cookbook at the moment!

Back