Tesco Batter Mix

Qua Sae

I just did a syn calculation on SW online & just wanted to make sure I was right. Lol.

I want some pancakes & tried making them with just egg & sweetener, but they just tasted like really thin omelettes :(

I figure I could just use a mix if I work out the syns.

According to the calculator, it's only 6.5 syns for the whole pack & this doesn't seem like an awful lot to me?

Per 100g:
Cals:190
Protein: 7
Carbs: 32.4
Fat: 3.3
Serving size: 128g (This is the size of the mix bag)

Just add one egg & water to the mix (Both free) & cooked with fry light.

you have worked out syns wrong somewhere.

There is no free food in batter mix, so you can work it out using 20 calories - 1 syn.

Which means the pack is 9.5 syns for just 100g of the mix, which I am presuming is in it's packet form and not made up.

so 12 syns for entire packet if the packet is 128g

If Gemmy input the various figures into the calculator and didn't click on 'free food' option, surely the syns should be correct. Isn't the 20 cals per syn a rough guide if you can't use the on-line calculator?

According to the packet, the nutritional information is if made up according to the instructions so the egg & water would be in there? Obviously the water can't be added as a free food, but the egg can? I think I've well & truly confused myself. Lol.

I am still not sure it qualifies for a free food allowance unfortunately, because it is a batter mix. Egg is not the main ingredient, so can not be selected as a free food. You can only select the main ingredient as a free food.

Ahh, I see. No you can't use egg as a free food when doing the calculation as one egg won't be the majority of the mix. Try it again in the calculator but say there's no free food involved. This will give the true syn value.

Good try though - LOL

So to be on the safe side, I should syn it as 12.. Although I'd share with OH, so 6 for half the mix?

I'm not entirely sure how using free foods on the syns calculator works.. But if there's more flour than egg, then the egg can't be used as a free food on the calculator?

If Gemmy input the various figures into the calculator and didn't click on 'free food' option, surely the syns should be correct. Isn't the 20 cals per syn a rough guide if you can't use the on-line calculator?

the 20 cals = 1 syn is accurate for anything without a free food allowance. It is exactly how the snackulator works and how the syns calculator works when there is no free food allowance.

Ok, I have one more query.. The mix bag size is 128g but the batter all made up will be more than that. Does that mean it would be more syns?

If it's roughly 9.5 syns for 100g of made up batter mix.. Then I'd have to weigh it before cooking it to get the correct syn amount.
Annoyingly, they have a weight for made up yorkshire puddings (21g) but not pancakes!

So to be on the safe side, I should syn it as 12.. Although I'd share with OH, so 6 for half the mix?

I'm not entirely sure how using free foods on the syns calculator works.. But if there's more flour than egg, then the egg can't be used as a free food on the calculator?

If you look at the side of the syns calculator it has a "syns calculator tips" section, which covers items that do not have free food allowances etc, as well as how to work out a products free food allowance.

Usually things like batter mixes etc will have nutritional information for just the mix (unprepared) as well as prepared. I would use that nutritional information for unprepared to be completely accurate. They rarely have only nutritional information for prepared.

However always try searching syns online first, which will probably have it listed.

Last edited:
Gemmy, adding free food (water & egg) to the dry weight syn value can't make it any worse. You can't use them as a free allowance (as previously mentioned) but they're not going to add any more syns and sharing it with your OH will only help.

Back