Textured Vegetable Protein

Martha39

I've noticed TVP is free on both plans. Does anyone use this? What is it? Anyone got any recipies for it and where do you buy it?

I've noticed TVP is free on both plans. Does anyone use this? What is it? Anyone got any recipies for it and where do you buy it?

i've seen these in indian grocery stores alot!! but i have never used them!! i'm told its used as a meat replacement in currys or broken down and used in things like veggie cutlets and burgers etc!

might try it if i do and it goes well i will let you know! xx

Hi Martha,

I use TVP in the mince style, its basically like quorn but a dry form.

I normally crumble in a stock cube and then cover in boiling water, leave it to soak for 5/10 mins and then use as I would quorn mince. I live overseas and we cant get Quorn products here so I use it in bolognaise, lasagne, shepherds pie, savoury mince, chilli.....the only thing I find its not good for is formed foods such as burgers and meatballs.

Another benefit for me is its about 20% of the cost of the real stuff and so much lower in fat and cholesterol :)

Enjoy!!

Claire x

Wholefood shops usually sell it or Holland and Barrat stock it I think - I don't like the texture of personally but it is a lot cheaper than Quorn

Back