The CD and mental illness

Seaneen

Short and pink
Hello,

I have manic depression, and rather on the quite bad end of the scale (my actual diagnosis is severe bipolar I disorder, rapid-cycling).

I'm fairly stable at the moment (on medications and off work after some disasters going down in jobs because of my moods) and consulted the doctors before starting this diet. My CPN was agreed that it might mentally help me as my self esteem suffered badly when I gained three stone taking the medications. The GP gave it the go ahead too.

I was just wondering if any of you have experience of mental illness and this diet, and if it mentally helped you out. My CDC knows I'm manic depressive and was initially worried that the "wellbeing" feeling would tip into mania, but that hasn't happened.

Anyway, sorry if this is an odd topic to bring up.

Hello, yeh I suffer from anxiety disorder and am on citalipram for it i know the cd is not doing any harm, infact i feel better and full of energy and my confidence is growing.

Please dont feel alone hun, just remember, 1 in 4 people suffer from a mental illness, the thing with mental illness is that you cant put a plaster on it to make it better.

By being on this site, you are amongst friends and I bet there are a lot of people on here that suffer from some sort of disorder.

I wish you all the best with the diet and I promise you that when the weight starts to drop off (and it will) you will feel so good about yourself and I reckon you will be able to manage your disorder better.

BIG HUGS xxx

Hiya and welcome to minimins :)

I've not had personal experience however i'm intrigued that your GP has allowed you to SS whilst having bi-polar and from a professional view (i'm a CPN too) i agree that it will be very beneficial to your mood so good luck with it all!!!

My mum suffers with bi-polar and she too has rapid cycles and desperately wants to do the diet however her GP won't sign the consent form :( i'd love to hear how you get on to feed back to her, it might just give her the incentive to go back to her GP and bug them. I think you'll probably find you'll feel the best you've ever felt!!!!! xxx

The GP signed the consent form because I wasn't overweight before I started taking medication. I was only diagnosed in Oct 2006 after a period of hospitalisation. He did try to fob me off at first but I rationally explained to him my reasons for wanting to do this.

I'm not expecting a diet to work miracles on my moods; I still struggle with symptoms daily and so far it hasn't affected my moods at all (except for being cranky when hungry).

Best of luck to you Seann and i think you'll find once you start to feel good about how you look your mood will improve, course you'll still have your off periods as is part of the illness but its definitely a postive step on your road to recovery!!!

Hello,

I have manic depression, and rather on the quite bad end of the scale (my actual diagnosis is severe bipolar I disorder, rapid-cycling).

I'm fairly stable at the moment (on medications and off work after some disasters going down in jobs because of my moods) and consulted the doctors before starting this diet. My CPN was agreed that it might mentally help me as my self esteem suffered badly when I gained three stone taking the medications. The GP gave it the go ahead too.

I was just wondering if any of you have experience of mental illness and this diet, and if it mentally helped you out. My CDC knows I'm manic depressive and was initially worried that the "wellbeing" feeling would tip into mania, but that hasn't happened.

Anyway, sorry if this is an odd topic to bring up.

Bless you hun
I am a sufferer of depression but nothing as severe as yourself - it must be dreadful for you! As the other posts said, please do not feel alone and come and post on here as much as you need to!
I have only found positive things to take from this diet/journey/change of life - which has to be a positive...
If you start to feel manic at all - you must get to your GP asap luv.... I've only had good feelings and they are much more on an even keel than highs and lows that I was experiencing before xxx

Ach, depression is horrible. I am glad this has been so positive for you.

The boyfriend and the CPN are on close-watch for any emerging mania (I tend not to realise I'm getting that way) so I should be okay. :) Thank you for the kind words :)

Hi Seaneen,

What you have to be carefull of is that the diet can slow down or accerate the absorption of some meds, but I'm sure your CDC would of check with HO.

All the best with keep posting you have some great support here.

Back