The danger zone

Honestly I'm from florida so we are country folks and my grandfather and uncles all wore suspenders. women would use belts or just used men suspenders... I'll have to ask my cousin did they have a particular name or just suspenders..

I know wrinkly.. but I love some of the brit accents.. especially the northern ones.. when i was in london they tended to like my accent. I dont have a southern accent at all, it's neutral. Most tend to think I'm from california or seattle

Used to attend the same church as an American lady who I actually thought was Mexican. Then again my sister in law who lives on the English/Scottish border was described as foreign whilst on holiday in Dorset. :D

No No, I mean suspenders for holding up nylon stockings. LOL

LOL at jim ohh garder belt LOL...

LOL @ Wrinkly too

Use tights Jim they're much more convenient, at least they are for an OF like me.....

Ah, garter belt. OK That's got that sorted then, enquiring minds and all that. :D

glad I could help you out jim :p

LOL, I'm always amused at the differences in our common language, same as I wonder why you don't use stones.

There's enough variety in the english language (north/south etc) without even starting to compare the english/usa versions! LOL.. :)

That's so true! Hadn't even heard of 'mardy' or 'mithering' til about 10 years ago!

My Gran used Mardy and Mithering all the time. She also used to say things like "And what's that to do with the price of fish"

I say all sorts of weird things lol.. it's only when the 'customers' at work look at me like i'm a psycho that i realise the local sayings are creeping back in! Then the ol 'forces sayings' also creep in and the ex forces officers get what i'm on about n the others just look at us like we're weirdos.. Hahaha.. i love it!

we use the price of fish thing down here too. I use a few words and phrases which people don't expect - I call girls lasses and I sometimes use the northern 't' instead of 'the'.

I say, "Sod that for a bunch of soldiers" indicating I'm not going to do that particular task, no matter how mush the user begs me.

lol i say sod that for a game of soldiers too laura! i came out with at work the other day 'im gonna see me arse in a minute', they looked at me like im weird as i just said it without thinking but thankfully the ex forces guys knew what i were on about n laughed!!

Wow all the regional dialects and etc.. I would be total lost LOL but it would be fun to here all the weird sayings.. we have a lot of them in the southern part of the USA and it varies from state to state..

I tend to say 'sod that for a laugh' but, yes, we have game of soldiers too. And when I was young and fibbing to mum about something she used to ask if i thought she came in on the last banana boat. And my bro lived in bristol and couldn't understand some of it - I think the main thng cam up in an episode of Gavin and Stacey with 'Wheres that to', where daan saaf we say 'where's that gone?'

breakfast dinner n tea is a biggie for me!! my old boss in the raf wouldnt let me go to dinner when i asked until i asked to go to lunch!! it grated after a while lol

Back