The 'determined to not cringe away from the camera at Christmas' diary...

hippychick85

Hello, so I decided to start a diary, for someone reason I thought you needed 50 posts to start one but I must have read it wrong.

I have always been slightly curvy with boobs and hips, but comfortable in a size 12. However just before my 21st my Granddad died and I took it bad, luckily my fella was on hand to make me feel better with icecream and hariobo :sigh:

It wasn't long (about a year) before I was in a 14-16 but I convinced myself I was still happy with my size, it was just curves. Anyway to short a long story short I continued to live in denial as my weight and dress size kept creeping up. Then I got diagnosed with a prolactinoma (a benign prolactin secreting tumour in the brain) and after I was told it was connected to weight gain....well it was the perfect excuse...It is the tumour making me fat, not the chocolate/ crisps/ 4 scoop icecream I have just eaten.

In this magical world of denial I lived in, I convinced myself I was eating healthy as I ate 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and my portion sizes were not huge...I mean pepper on a pizza is a portion right...

I graduated from uni, then graduated from my post grad cringing at how fat I was in the pics. It's not my fault I would think, I couldnt lose weight if I wanted to...the tumour wont let me...It has nothing to do with the tube of pringles I have just scoffed.
Well, my fella asked me to marry him last year after 6 years together, we have been engaged a year and a half now...and even though we have an agreement that we won't get married till I work of the weight (my stipulation not his...before anybody starts sharpening pitch forks). I was still in denial especially when we moved in together and there was an unlimited supply of naughty stuff.

My wake-up call came from playing just dance, you see as well as being in denial about my weight I was also in denial about my fitness level....Yeah I might be big but I am still athletic.... I thought before I collapsed doing a very good impression of a beached whale after only half a song.

So that was that I signed up to slimming world, an aerobics and an aqua aerobics class...even though I was convinced I wouldnt lose any weight/ I would give up...but after 3 1/2 lbs in my first week I was hooked. Something about knowing the weigh in is coming keeps me honest and the tumour hasn't hindered my loss 1st award in 4th weigh in. I am so much more determined than I gave myself credit for, and the thing I am looking forward to most? Being in the family pictures at christmas, instead of hiding from the camera and untagging myself when it finds me!

Phew so that was a long first post...I promise they wont be as long from now on....

x

Thank you KateR and crazycatlady,

Just a short update today. I have had a really good week sticking to plan, even though I was doing a great cake pigeon impression whilst shopping over the weekend (Sarah Millican...so funny!). Was my nephews birthday today and he chose to go to the chinese buffet, I didn't go for two reasons 1.It's my weigh in on a Monday night and 2. I really don't have the self control for a buffet yet...
...so I went to get weighed and lost...1lb....1lb seriously! My other half has been eating Mcdonalds, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, pizza...and I have had fruit and salad :confused:

I realise I can't lose 7.5 every week, but a lb seems disappointing, my aim was for 2 lb so I would be in the 15's...but hey ho just have to aim for 3lb for next week.

Anyway, should have a longer update later in the week just wanted to have a vent. Going to do double aqua this week and hoping not to faceplant the water again.

Thanks for the comments crazycatlady and KateR.
Absolutely shattered! Circuit training Monday night, Aqua aerobics Tuesday and Wednesday night. Giving myself tonight off but not sure what body magic I want to fit in over the weekend....could go for a walk, do some living room weight lifting/ lunges or a work out dvd.

Been good with food and syns although it is seeming a bit of an effort to fit my healthy extras in because I am trying to up my super free. Determined to get my club ten for my birthday which is mid July. Only 3 more weigh ins before so Im not as hopeful now. Would need to lose 3lb a week... Im not that bothered my original target was to get my club 10 for August. I just decided to make it a bit more difficult. 3lb a week is doable though....at least I think it is. Im averaging 3lb a week at the moment anyway.

My weight loss so far...
Week 1: -3
Week 2: -1
Week 3: -2.5
Week 4: -7.5 (WOW!)
Week 5: -1

Have had such a good week, using between 5-7 syns a day. However last night I used about 18 syns and I feel really bloated today, not sure if feeling bloated is due to the over synning, the fact that I munched on lasagna crisps (I know the debate free or not free so I synned them just incase) or if it is just psychological...maybe I am not actually bloated and just feel it because I feel guilty.

I am feeling a bit negative about dieting this week, so tempted to go on a big binge but I know I would feel even worse after. I just really want to see some difference now...15lbs down and I can't see/ feel any physical difference. I was measuring myself weekly, but my slimming world friend has insisted I don't measure myself for a month so I am gonna give it a go and try and resist.

Going to have a free 'fry' lite up for dinner so I am looking forward to that. Will hopefully be positive again come Monday if I have lost...if not I might just treat myself to a krispy kreme to cheer myself up :D

Well done so far!!! You have done amazingly.

We are similar in that, I too was in denial about being happy ... And I blamed it on my pcos. It's really hard but we can get to the weight and size we want! It just takes time and determination!!

Keep going lovely!!

X

Thank you Mrs.Steel, it is so easy to blame it on the medical condition. Don't get me wrong I still think it is a factor but obviously it isn't as big a factor as I anticipated. Good luck on your weight loss, you are right we can do it!

You're right - it is still a factor, but we can make sure it's limited by how we eat and how much exercise we do! Slowly but surely our symptoms may even improve!

X

I have become slightly worried today, after watching a weight loss program, about loose skin after I achieve my weight loss. I am 1 stone down and have another 4 to go so it may seem odd worrying about it now however I carry a lot of weight on my stomach and I am wondering if there are any tips to limit the 'saggy' skin as I lose weight. I am 26 and never had children, I am losing on average 2-3lbs a week and I have been exercising for 45 minutes twice a week which I have increased to three times a week last week.

I am more interested in inch loss to weight, although I am following slimming world.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to prevent/ limit the loose skin?

I have posted this on.the health and beauty thread to, as it is literally been something I have been thinking about for the last 5 hours.

You need to keep hydrated with plenty of water and on areas that have been really stretched (for me thats my tummy and bingo wings) apply something with loads of vitamin e. I use bio oil and palmers butter. I would use bio oil all the time but it's expensive so I alternate. I'm a similar age and situation to you but if you lose the weight relatively slowly, look after your skin and tone your muscles at the same time then you shouldn't have a problem.

If the weight comes off very quickly and you don't tone muscles at the same time you have more chance of looser skin

I hope that helps? X

Lost another 1.5lb this week, weight loss is going slow at the moment so I decided to measure myself (promised I wouldn't do it for a month as I was doing it daily and becoming frustrated with lack of change).

The results *drum roll* since starting slimming world I have lost 1 inch of my bust, 3 inches of my waist, 2 inches of my hips and 2 inches of my thighs. That's including a 16.5lb loss. So even if the last two weeks have been small losses I have to look at how much I have achieved so far. However I need to lose as least another inch of my bust, and 2 inches of both my waist and hips by the beginning of August. I am hoping this is possible as I really wanted to fit in my size 18 summer clothes. I will see how much I have lost this week then decide if I need to cut down syns or exercise more. Ideally I will need 2lb-3lb a week loss judging by how much I have lost for my previous inches (1 stone for 2 inches).

Wish me luck x

Woo lost 3lbs this week, which is good as I had a bit of a splurge this week. I was still under 105 syns but ate a big sharer bag of crisps to myself over Friday, Saturday night and had 2 bottles of wine consuming 40 syns each night...It's the worst I have eaten since starting Slimming world so in comparison to my previous two weeks where I have used a lot less syns in a week and have lost 1lb and 1.5lb. However I did one less session of exercise last week too...so eat more exercise less lose more weight!?!

I am going to stick with my three, at least, exercise classes a week as I enjoy it and it makes me feel good how it is becoming more manageable and I am no longer doing a beached whale impression after five minutes. However, maybe I should use more syns, ensure I am using at least 5-10 a day as currently I can go days without any...part of me is worried that I will use my syns and gain weight...

Anyway I need to lose 1.5lb this week to get my 1 and a half stone award and I am 4.5lbs of my club 10. So I have started out my week well with lots of superfree, including super speed breakfasts of melon and strawberries and drinking lots of water. My goal is still to fit in my size 18's for holiday, I have 21 days before I go holiday shopping and 35 days till holiday I need to lose at least another inch maybe two by then, however it is my birthday cocktail night next Friday and I will probably use way over my syns that weekend and maybe a gain.

So any advice should I up exercise, try and ignore scales and concentrate on inches for a few weeks...should I cut out bread etc? I understand that it is important to take it slow with weight loss but it would devestate me to have to buy size 20's for my holiday when I have worked so hard for the past two months (losing 19.5 lbs).

Hey lovely!

Well done on your loss! You are doing so so well! If you are doing plenty of exercise then maybe work on your measurements? Muscle is far denser than fat so it takes up less space but makes you heavier on the scales. My trainer is giving me heavy weights sessions to really build up muscle which will up my resting rate of metabolism. (so when im sat on my arse watching biggest loser i am burning more kcals hehehee)

I know several people on this site who dont weigh in at all and just work purely off measurements.

If you want to change up your diet, ive heard of people incorporating JUDDDD principles along side the SW program. Also, getting rid of processed sugars is something that people swear by. So white bread, ready meals, diet drinks, jars of sauce etc.

Just go with what feels good for your body

Keep going, you are doing brill

x

Not updated on here for a while. All is going well so far I am now 13 stone 5...however I did have two slices of cake yesterday so I could have gained a couple of lbs :sigh:

I wanted to post some pictures but having cringed away from cameras for so long the only ones I had where on my phone (self-taken) which I lost a month ago. I realised this morning that I had some from last halloween (no idea what weight but I am assuming between 16-17 stone) and from last night.

The ones with the pink lashes are from last year...although I hope you can tell which is which. I can see a difference in my face but still feel I have a long way to go and I was hoping to be happy with another stone and a half. Taking me to 12 stone but now Im thinking maybe 11...

Attachments

• halloween1 2011.jpg
    halloween1 2011.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 27
  • halloween1 2012.jpg
    halloween1 2012.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Halloween2 2011.jpg
    Halloween2 2011.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 26
  • halloween2 2012.jpg
    halloween2 2012.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Finally made it into the 11's havent had my picture taken in a while but I have one at 12.3, Im happy with my legs but feel like I'm still holding too much weight on my stomach. 6lbs till Target so I will have to decide wether to drop it again...the other pic is of me at my graduation (2 years before starting slimming world and I was at least a stone larger when I started)
Rach Grad.jpg

Rach Rocky Horror.jpg

Back