"The experiment" Part 1 Done

onefatmama

Hi,

How you all doing? :wavey:

Here is a little bit of history of me.

I started SS'ing in January this year, did it for a few months and lost 5 stone :D, then I had to stop because of pregnancy, but thats a long and very sad story :(:cry:, I started back ss'ing 4 weeks ago.

I started ss'ing and exercising the same time, completely different from the first time on CD.
This time the results were not good at all:mad::banghead:, yes I feel a hell of a lot healthier and I enjoy the workouts, but the losses and basically none existant :( I glug loads these days aswell :tear_drop::party0036:

So this week Im going to experiment, Im going to do 1 week just ss and 1 week ss and my usual workouts:whacky068::character00115: and see if there will be a difference.

I'm getting conflicting(sp?) advice from my cdc and gym instructors. one says no exercise, the other says exercise is very good for weight loss,he knows about my very small kcal intake and says my body does'nt go into 'starvation mode' I dont feel exhausted, I feel my normal self, which surprises my hubby as he thinks he'd be in a coma by now :giggle:

So the experiment begins:)

OFM xx

Personally i wouldnt have the energy to SS and exercise.....I felt sleepy till day 6.

Lemme know how your experiment goes xxx

From seeing hundreds of clients now I can tell you 150% that if you do cardio your weight loss will slow right down.

M.

Why is that? you would think if you did exercise then the weight loss would speed up. I know that muscle weighs more than fat (convinced I am actually very muscleY!), I woul like to understand how the science of this works. Any takers on giving a science thicky a mini lesson?

Basically without any glycogen or sugar in your body when you do vigorous exercise the body really struggles to make energy quickly enough.

This usually results in "flu" like symptoms but more importantly it usually means you retain water, also your body can go into starvation mode which effectively means it becomes hyper efficient and not burning calories, so you tend to find your finger nails stop growing etc etc as your body strives to save energy.

I have a guy who saw every morning (100 lengths!!) and literally lost nothing for 2 months and admitted that basically he was frozen cold all the time, his hair and nails had stopped growing and he felt awful all the time.

He had 1 week of doing nothing but gentle walking and lost 18 pounds!! Hence the lesson was learnt...

M.

Oh thank you for that. Now I feel good that I am not going to the gym but I have started walking about 20 mins aday (I know that is a bit crap but best I can do). I am not cancelling my Gym membership as it is probably the most expensive membership in the whole world as I have not been to the gym for over a year but still pay my fees. Now I have read what you said it makes sense,:p

Basically without any glycogen or sugar in your body when you do vigorous exercise the body really struggles to make energy quickly enough.

This usually results in "flu" like symptoms but more importantly it usually means you retain water, also your body can go into starvation mode which effectively means it becomes hyper efficient and not burning calories, so you tend to find your finger nails stop growing etc etc as your body strives to save energy.

I have a guy who saw every morning (100 lengths!!) and literally lost nothing for 2 months and admitted that basically he was frozen cold all the time, his hair and nails had stopped growing and he felt awful all the time.

He had 1 week of doing nothing but gentle walking and lost 18 pounds!! Hence the lesson was learnt...

M.

That really doesn't make sense - I've been doing cardio for 8 weeks out of my 12 so far and have continued to have good losses on CD... nothing can be so hard and fast as that. Surely everybody is different.

BTW.. I agree with the experiment idea... its a good way to tell...

Everyone is different I would agree but I can only go on experience and having seen a lot of people it is more than coincidence.

I will bet 50p that suddenly when relaxing a bit the scales start to drop quicker.

M.

I've had to drop my 4-5 cardio workouts to 1 per week, I was finding that I had a rotten headache afterwards no matter how much water I drank. The following day I found I was really hungry even though still showing I was in ketosis. If my loss isn't too good this week then I'll drop them totally to see how it goes.

Very interesting thread...

Good luck with your experiment - I think it's worth testing "your" body as of course everyone is different.

I'll be interested to read how you get on...

H xx

Thanks for explaining that Mike - I didn't understand why not before, I did a really intensive hour long workout this afternoon and now I am still freezing. its good to know the science behind it!

*secretly very chuffed to know that I don't have to be huffing and puffing trying to keep up with the skinnies in the gym anymore*

Actually the being freezing is a standard sign of being in Ketosis.

...and I have tried relaxing it down to say 1 session a week and guess what - that's where my low losses happened. To be honest - I think the best thing people can do is test their own body safely and know their own limitations.

If you don't feel you have the energy - don't do it! If you do, try it!

Everyone is different.

This is very interesting, Ice Moose explained it to me a few weeks ago, I lost 7.7lbs my first week and ran 14km that week. I've struggled to get back on the ss wagon due to weekend away etc....today is day 1, I am running tonight and Friday night and will stick to SS 100% this week and see what my loss is next week.

Problem is, as much as I want to lose my weight FAST I am afraid to stop going to my running club because I have improved so much and just scared to not go at all. BUT if my losses are not great then I amy stop for 4 weeks until I lose 1 stone then go onto 790 to lose last stone and a half.

I understand the cardio thing (I did some pretty heavy workouts in the early days and almost fainted once): I understand carbs are fuel and we're not taking in much of it but what about resistance exercises?

I'm a great advocate of doing a combination of both types of exercise - although to my shame I'm really not doing much of either right now! When I was a gym bod though, I did probably an equal amount of both; exercising and 'toning' (for want of a better word) the muscles is basically building the 'engine' that burns the fuel. I love the weighs machines (I'm not suggesting pumping iron of course - just moderate resistance) ... you feel so much better for gently working a muscle group that would normally just do nothing in our modern lifestyle.

I find this one to be a really difficult dilemna. As Icemoose has said, in my experience from clients, weight loss tends to slow down a little if they're doing lots of exercise. On the other hand, it seems 'wrong' to discourage exercise, as it's a great habit to get into if you want to change your health and fitness for life, and maintain your weight loss after goal.

Funnily enough, i've been ssing for the past few weeks, and i'm always a 'textbook loser', losing 1lb every two days after the initial big loss in the first week. This week however, i've been decorating my living room all on my own (very pleased with myself :D ), which has been very hard work! My whole body is aching, and I feel physically exhausted... in a good way, if that makes sense. Unfortunately, i've not shifted even a pound since last Friday, despite sticking rigidly to ss. I've probably not drank as much water as usual, as I haven't had time to stop (have been decorating 10 hours a day - it's a fairly big living room!), and due to the physical activity aswell, i'm probably retaining water. The lack of weight loss is a bit disappointing, but it's interesting that it's coincided with the extreme jump in activity.

I think there must be some kind of middle ground - perhaps exercising moderately a few times a week, being careful to only burn a couple of hundred calories each time?

Jo x

Very interesting thread - I too have started to exercise - well just increase my exercise from Nil - gently walking, cycling, sit ups only so I'll be interested in how the experiment goes. We are all different - perhaps it may have something to do with your fitness levels when you start the CD? Who knows, only you know your body so it's up to you to work out whether you should (or want to!) exercise I guess. Must be frustrating for those who are used to working out regulary tho. Good luck guys! Vx

Hi Guys,

Just to add my bit to this thread. I am a self confessed gym addict under normal circumstances and tend to do 5 x 45min cardio sessions and 2-3 x 1 hour weight sessions per week. This is fine while on a foodie diet (WW/SW etc) but not for VLCD.

Since being on SS (started Thurs) I have not been to the gym and have seen great losses (10lbs so far). I know that the loss is inflated as first week but still more than I was hoping to lose. I fully intend to increase exercise as I work up the plans, but shouldn't we be using our heads about the exercise maths?

If we are consuming approx. 400 kcals per day, is it really a good idea to hit the gym and burn 400kcals in one session??? I don't think so. We need the vital 400 kcals to keep our bodies ticking over .... this is my logic anyway and it seems to be working for me.

Back