"The experiment" Part 1 Done

I agree with Dobbie!

Not being funny, but icemoose was voted CDC of 2006, he has so much training from Cambridge and sees a lot of clients, so I would take his advice personally, but at the end of the day people, you have to do what you want to do, your body, your choice. No one will tell you told you so!

To say that "doing cardio" will slow your weight loss down is a massive sweeping generalisation. It's also wrong. If you're going to make statements like this you need to clarify your definition of "cardio".

Hi Guys :wavey:

As of this morning Wednesday 10th Oct, I weigh 12st 7lb's :hide:

My schedule for this week will be SS everyday, drink 4-5lts of water:tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop: and workout.

My plan is tonight, tomorrow and Friday do 45-60 min workouts:whacky068::whacky068: using the rower, treadmill and bike/cross trainer.

Saturday will be a rest day:whistle:

Sunday will do a tone and sculpt class:character00116:

Monday and Tuesday workout as usual.:whacky068::whacky068:

Then Weigh in on wednesday:scale: and start SS only for a week.

I may see a change,:clap: I may not:boohoo:, but interested in seeing the outcome.

OFM :wavey:xx

To say that "doing cardio" will slow your weight loss down is a massive sweeping generalisation. It's also wrong. If you're going to make statements like this you need to clarify your definition of "cardio".

Exactly! I'm not trying to devalue what Icemoose was saying, he gives very good advice on most matters. However, just because he was voted New CDC of the Year does not mean he knows everything there is to know about the diet. I for one believe in listening to my own body and taking notice of the way it responds.

BTW Cambridge's own official line reccommends regular exercise - why would they bring out a Fitness range otherwise?

I am very very reluctant to stop my running as the feeling I get once I've completed my 7km is "priceless".......I don't feel hungry, get really thirsty and I am able to drink 1litre of water with no problem, then I have the most fantastic SLEEP:):):), I am back SS today, no run tonight because it's first day of TOTM and not a good idea to be too far away from a loo, I will run 7km on Friday, 8km,Monday, 8km,Wednesday and will weigh in on Thursday morning and report back to you all. This has actually motivated me to stick to SS 190%.

I am very very reluctant to stop my running as the feeling I get once I've completed my 7km is "priceless".......I don't feel hungry, get really thirsty and I am able to drink 1litre of water with no problem, then I have the most fantastic SLEEP:):):), I am back SS today, no run tonight because it's first day of TOTM and not a good idea to be too far away from a loo, I will run 7km on Friday, 8km,Monday, 8km,Wednesday and will weigh in on Thursday morning and report back to you all. This has actually motivated me to stick to SS 190%.

Its motivated me too :)

How much do you tend to lose in a week?

OFM xx

Hi OFM, I started 4 weeks ago, SS for 5 days before goin away for a long weekend, during that 5 days I lost 7.7lbs, I'd ran twice that week. Since then I have struggled to get back into SS and learned a valuable LESSON don't cheat even ONCE, it is so hard to get back into it. Anyway, today is first back on SS, have not gained any weight so let's see what weight loss will be next week. If all goes to plan I would ran 24km by then and one Pilates class, my thighs definitely have more definition and I have calves to die for:)(even if I have to say so myself).............so running doing good.

When do you weigh?

Dyingtobeslim, that's an awful lot to be running while you're on SS. Do you run the whole distance? Or do you jog? Or walk part of it?

Hi OFM, I started 4 weeks ago, SS for 5 days before goin away for a long weekend, during that 5 days I lost 7.7lbs, I'd ran twice that week. Since then I have struggled to get back into SS and learned a valuable LESSON don't cheat even ONCE, it is so hard to get back into it. Anyway, today is first back on SS, have not gained any weight so let's see what weight loss will be next week. If all goes to plan I would ran 24km by then and one Pilates class, my thighs definitely have more definition and I have calves to die for:)(even if I have to say so myself).............so running doing good.

When do you weigh?

Ill be weighing in next wednesday morning.

I thought I did alot at the gym, but you out do me there :)

Im 5ft 3" and weigh too much at 12st 7lb, although nothing compared to my weight at the beginning of the year which was 18 STONE :eek::eek::eek:, it would be grand to see myself at 10st 7lb for crimbo and a size 12-14 :D

How tall you and how much do you weigh/ike to weigh?

OFM xx:)

I have to disagree with icemoose. Lets say that person 1 exercises while on SS - burns 500 calories per day bicycling (as I do) and consumes 400 or so. Net loss: 2100 calories, as my normal metabolism is around 2000 calories. Yes, said person will carry some weight in muscles due to water due to glycogen (not exactly accurate, but in line with what icemoose said). Person 2 doesn't exercise while on SS, but begins as she starts increasing up to maintainance. Said person will gain wait when they start exercising due to said process. Both people lose weight, looking at pure energy equations person who exercises will lose more per week, as they have a greater calorie deficit. Person 1 will also not put on the (meager) amount when they start exercising, although they may notice less water weight loss at the beginning. And water is water, you'll put it on again anyway when you start working up the stages!

I can explain this with all the technical bells and whistles if you wish, but I hope that I have described it adequately.

The danger with exercising while having a low calorie intake is that your body starts burning protein (from muscles (INCLUDING THE HEART)) as well as fat. This is one of the reasons that anorexic people have a tendancy to heart failure.

Note about starvation mode: Many people believe it's a load of codswallop. It's true that you burn less calories as you lose weight, but that's partially because of lost muscle mass (you can't avoid losing muscle while losing fat unfortunately) - a reason why many yo yo dieters have low metabolisms. But the idea that the body at 1200 calories exactly says "Oh no, I'll have to stop all this life maintaining stuff I'm doing" sounds like a bit of a myth to me. I can't see why it should be the case.

Personal expierence: I cycle a lot, have lost well over 1.5st in 4 weeks (SS), I know thats not a lot compared to some of you, but I started at BMI 29ish and am now just a healthy BMI (24.8). I refuse to be unhealthy just to lose weight.

Sorry if I sound like a bit of a know-it-all, I'm not, but I happen to be studying cytology (cells mechanisms) this semester ;)

Hugs,
Ida

Hi OFM, I am 1.66m tall and weight 77kg (12st1) my goal weight is 66kg (10st3), I weigh in KG's because that's all my scale does. Let's see how we do next week. When are you due to weigh yourself? I have decided that as much as I want to lose my weight fast - I'd rather lose slower than give up my exercise because in the long run it will be the exercise that will help keep the weight off:) so we're on "your experiment"

Hi,

I thought I'd update on my little experiment.

I have SS'd and kept on with the gym workouts and today Im down by 2lbs, I thought it would be more to be honest as I have worked really hard.

So as of today Im just SS'ing and no exercise, which will be hard as Im enjoying the workouts.

OFM XX

Hey OFM! 2lbs is good but it is disappointing when you have worked so hard. Good luck with the second half!

Hey OFM! 2lbs is good but it is disappointing when you have worked so hard. Good luck with the second half!

Thanks :) Im going to try and be really good and not go anywhere near the gym :)

ofm xx

If it is the cardio that is the problem, how about going to the gym and just doing lots of reps of light weights to keep muscle toned? I have only started today, but I normally work out regularly and It'll be wierd not going. I wasn't planning on pushing myself, but the occasional leisurely swim, walking etc should be okay, right? Also I play a lot of tennis, and was planning on carrying on doing that, and horseriding too occasionally! Anyone else do these kinds of things while on SS and have good/bad experiences?

Back