The Final Straw!!

Alia

Silver Member
I'd love to know what was the final straw that made you finally decide, once and for all that you really need to do something about your weight problem.

There has been quite a few things that have happened to me in the past that should have made me want to lose weight yet I've managed to sweep them under the carpet for so long.

I went to a restaurant years ago with my ex hubby and mine and his parents and they had the chairs with arms on them and they were a little snug to say the least. Half way through the meal I burst into tears in front of every one cause the arms of the chair were cutting into my thighs causing me so much pain. On top of that my mum bless her was so upset seeing me in pain that she shouted a waiter over and asked for them to bring me a chair without sides on them - it felt to me like the whole restaurant heard or saw what was going on and I've never felt so humiliated in my life.

On a holiday a couple of years ago when we boarded the plane my hubby saw that the seatbelt wouldn't fit and stood up and rather loudly shouted to the stewardess as she passed that we needed a seatbelt extention - I was mortified. Again on top of that the flight was so uncomfortable for me due to having no leg room and seats where the arm between two chairs did not lift up. I remember being so relieved as we went to land at heathrow and then wanting to cry when the piolet changed his mind as he was about to land and took off again and diverted us to Germany, I nearly burst into tears. Even that did n't make me want to change my lifestyle

A trip to Alton Towers while I was previously doing SW allowed me to go on most of the rides until I came to one that needed a harness over your shoulders and they need to click down to lock - the poor guy did everything he could do to make it lock barring sitting on it and it just was n't happening and he had to ask me to get off the ride with every one looking at me - of course I did what I'm guessing lots of overweight people do, I laughed it off

The final thing that happened to me and made me want to lose weight and this time get to target was having a miscarriage in March - I'd had a scan the previous week and everything was ok and when we went for the scan after I'd been bleeding the pregnancy had gone. I asked if there was any apparent reason for why it had happened I was told they would never really be able to tell what happened but my weight could have been a factor. I disagreed with her as I have 6 children and I've never had a miscarriage before. Ater a couple of days of distress and being so upset with the baby I had lost, I realised that if I do ever want to have one final baby to complete our family then there was no way I was in a good state health wise to carry a baby to term. I don't have good pregnancies, I'm sick from start to finish and after soul searching I came to the conclusiono that even though I could carry a pregnancy now I did n't want to go through the illness I suffer from whilst being so - my last pregnancy was the worst, I was sick from morning till night and could hardly function which was n't too much of a problem as all my kids at that point were so much older and able to sort them selves out. If I was to have a bad pregnancy again I'm not sure how I'd have coped if the same thing happened again and now having a 2 year old to run around after. That prompted this final weightloss journey for me and I've decided to not get pregnant and concentrate on losing weight until some time next year.

Alia, did you have Hyperemesis? I had that with all three of my pregnancies, including going into hospital for IV fluids, I was so sick.

The thing that made me decide to finally do something about it was when my daughter asked me if I was having another baby. And a few days after that I went to buy myself some shorts for the summer and my usual size didnt fit, and I was determined I wasn't going to buy the next size up so joined a couple days after, and haven't looked back.

I wouldn't have any photographs taken as I hated seeing myself! Then I realised there are so so many pics of my husband with our two beautiful girls & hardly any of me, that I thought was sad!

Then New Years - I hated trying to find something to wear as everything was to small, to tight or just frumpy looking, so this new years I am going to look fab!! lol

I just want to say I'm glad that we are all brave enough to take this step! Especially OP! Wish you all the very best of luck!

I just wasn't happy. I'm one of those people who 'apparently' doesn't look big. But I felt I did. I could see it in the clothes I had to buy. I think the final straw was realising that H & M trousers/jeans in size 18 couldn't fit me.

Hi
I just feel like an elephant, and on every photo I look like one!!!!! I am trying very hard and will be slim sooner or later!!
Good luck everyone, we can do it!!!

Alia, did you have Hyperemesis? I had that with all three of my pregnancies, including going into hospital for IV fluids, I was so sick.

The thing that made me decide to finally do something about it was when my daughter asked me if I was having another baby. And a few days after that I went to buy myself some shorts for the summer and my usual size didnt fit, and I was determined I wasn't going to buy the next size up so joined a couple days after, and haven't looked back.

Yes I did hun and it was the most miserable time in my life. I was in and out of hospital constantly and on tablets from start to finish to try to control it but it was so bad I could n't even function - plus when you are carrying twins there is twice the hormone so it makes you feel even more sick - scared stiff if it were to happen again :eek:

These are sad stories that you have all shared and I admire your courage to post.

My turning point was waking up with chest pains in the morning and sweating profusely after climbing a couple of stairs! I have a 4 year old that I want to see grow up.

Those reasons for losing weight have made my eyes leak, I can hardly see what I'm typing here :cry:

I hate having my photo taken, and when I do I delete them.

My daughter made a comment, ''the grand children will never be able to look back on photos of their granny''

that made my mind up to do something about my weight.

like most people I have a catalogue of embarassing moments that should have changed me, then a couple of years ago, something snapped and I decided I had to do it, and drastically, something just urged me on from inside, it was weird.

I lost 36lbs with lipotrim in 14 weeks, and felt great. then a few months later, after maintaining for a few months, I had a fall and collapsed a vertebra in my spine, into my spinal cord. I was left incontinent of the bowels, and well on the way to paralysys, thank god for OH paying for bupa for me as gp missed it.

I often wonder if somehow I knew what was coming? the fall down the stairs at my previous weight could have been enough to paralyse me, and the recovery would have been much more difficult at my previous weight. it certainly was odd.

anyway, 10hr surgery and weeks in bed and a wheelchair later, I gained all of the weight back, plus a bit. although I was happy to be walking again and relatively well.

it stings that after 14 weeks of doing a starvation diet, I got fat again. hey ho.

then i set a date for my wedding, I vowed I could never starve myself again, there is simply no need for it unless you are medically desperate. it was hard, it was hell really. I was horrible on it.

anyway, I joined sw when I moved to devon, lost about 10 lbs, put a bit on again, lost a bit, got frustrated and bought two books that promised to help:

over coming weight problems - from the CBT therapy rage, and
the beck diet solution - both available on amazon.

since doing the 'find your motivation' exercises in these books, I have managed to keep losing a little each week.

I now find that I am not losing weight for clothes, vanity, numbers, for my wedding etc... I am losing weight for life, and for me, that is enough. that is all i need.

to lose weight for life.

good luck and well done to all you lasses for bearing your souls on here so we can help each other along a little. its what is special about being a woman. (sorry to the few men on here, but us lasses rule). :)

Thank you for this thread, and everyone's openness.

Like a lot of us I think, I knew deep down, and kidded myself it was hormones, stress, I wasn't that big etc. Lost some, gained some.........

But after a series of traumas (sorry, I'm not able to share.....yet) I plucked up the courage to weigh myself.

That was it - the numbers were horrific and I cried for a day then began again. And here I am, determined never to go back *there* again!

xx:)

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories you are all so brave and inspirational. My story is quite simple, i was always the big sister (having a large chest of 34g since about 16 didn't help), after i had my daughter i was determined to get back into my skinny size 12 jeans but i let it slip and it got to a point where my marriage was suffering.

My husband loves me so much and never had a problem with how i looked but i did and he couldn't do anything to make me happy. I didn't even want to be intimate for months. That hurt him that he couldnt fix it. So i took charge! It was lose weight and be happy again or lose my husband by pushing him away. I took my approaching 30th birthday as the impetus and the summer loomed and i wanted to feel better on the beach.

I've lost 10 and half lbs already and people are starting to notice. That had made me feel better and my marriage is improving, i'm not biting poor hubby's head off all the time hehe.

I had to realise that i needed to do this, only i could do it and since i started hubby has been 100% supportive buying in the right products whenever he goes shopping and making sure i'm able to get a babysitter to get to my weigh ins.

Yes I did hun and it was the most miserable time in my life. I was in and out of hospital constantly and on tablets from start to finish to try to control it but it was so bad I could n't even function - plus when you are carrying twins there is twice the hormone so it makes you feel even more sick - scared stiff if it were to happen again :eek:

The sad news is, the chances are high for you having it again.:( You may be one of the lucky ones, but for most, they have it in subsequent pregnancies, whether singular or twin pregnancies. I was on medication for all 3 of mine and had constant trips to the hospital staying for days at a time. I lost a hell of a lot of weight, and in part, i think that having HG and not being able to even keep down water, made me over eat once I was done having them. So for 2.5 years I kidded myself that because I couldn't eat for 3 yrs straight (I had 3 kids in 2.5 years) that I deserved to eat whatever I wanted:sigh:

If you were to have it again, I have a link for a HG forum (of which I am a moderator) that has a lot of info and support for the disease. So when the time comes feel free to ask for it, if you don't already have it from the last PG.

Like a lot of us I think, I knew deep down, and kidded myself it was hormones, stress, I wasn't that big etc. Lost some, gained some.........

...I plucked up the courage to weigh myself.

That was it - the numbers were horrific and I cried for a day then began again. And here I am, determined never to go back *there* again!

xx:)
That is mine exactly- I kidded myself for years that I was fat and happy and refused to 'conform' by weighing myself and worrying about it- read as 'lying to myself'

I too cried for a day and have never (and don't ever intend to) look back

Thanks for sharing, everyone

i have a million reasons to lose weight, and none to keep it.....!

ive joined slimming clubs since i was about 19....and i am now 31! I went to Mexico in October 2009 and when i came back i was the heaviest i have EVER been in my life - and i didnt like it one bit.

I rejoined SW and have not looked back this time - i have my ups and downs, but its chipping away bit by bit and i WILL get to target this time.

I also would love children, so my sensible head made me realise my chances of catching when i was morbidly obese were slim. I also would love to be a bride one day too - and want to love my photos, not feel like burning them!!

Thanks for this lovely thread - it's made me re-focus on my dreams and hopes for SW xxx

The final straw for me was when the doctor told me i might not be able to have kids at my weight, i'm a newly wed and we've been trying for a baby for 13 months and nothing happened and got refered to the fertility clinic and they told me they wouldnt help me in less i lost the weight and for a month i ignored it sayin i could do it myself and didnt need there help till i have a big breakdown and realised i needed to lose it as i so wanted a baby, got my next appointment in august so hopefully will get some help as ive lost a stone so far :) xx

Good luck at the fertility clinic - that is the reason that made me decide to do SW.
We've been trying for nearly 5 years, I've got PCOS (got diagnosed when we had our IUI - other tests hadn't shown it up). The IUI failed and we decided to have a break for a year (ended up two years cos of things going on and I piled on the weight). We went back to the docs and have been referred to the fertility clinic again (appointment at the end of the this month) but the doc said my BMI is 30 and it needs to come down to have a better chance.

I want to try Clomid (we weren't offered that before as we were going through IUI which is a step afterwards), as I found the IUI extremely painful (I know childbirth would be worse) and distressing (Nurse shouting at me to stay calm or it wouldn't work whilst I was there in tears cos of the agony - no wonder it didn't work)! If the Clomid doesn't work (pray to god it does), then it's IUI (get two more treatments) and failing that IVF (get one) so I want to give it the best possible chance of it working. And that means losing weight.
I also want to wear a size 12 (or less) on my 30th birthday if our treatment doesn't work (cos it will give me something to focus on, instead of just giving up on everything like I did last time, if that makes sense).

my story is not as soul searching nor as deserving as the rest of you.
Old fatbellygutbucket shouted down the garden to me 'Oi Lard ar*e' when the neighbours were having a bbq.
Mind you it was when my F.A. nearly eclipsed the sun that I decided to do something about it!!

All sorts of reasons really.. Hitting Size 30 clothes YET AGAIN.. having vague chest pains and realising that Mama Cass died at the same age I am now due to fatness... A looming holiday and the need to fly economy class in a seat that I know will be too small for me... Worrying about diabetes (I have an evilly sweet tooth and left to my own devices would literally eat sugar all day)... Aching knees... and above all a sense of incredible self loathing due to my out of control eating.

Take your pick :D

I had been living in blissful ignorance that I needed to lose weight, even though when I was in bed on a night I had pains under my ribcage from the roll of fat pressing underneath.
It wasn't until my son said that he wanted to lose weight and I bought some scales that I found that I was as heavy as I had been at 9 months pregnant. :(
We have both being following SW since April this year and although the weight seems to be coming off slowly, I can't complain as I still have my wine etc on a weekend.

Michelle

Back