The first day of the rest of my life!

831Kids

Hi my name is Ruth and this is my first day on Xenical! I am a yoyo dieter but my health has taken a turn for the worse, being diagnosed with Diabetes and an underactive thyroid! Time to turn my life around, for the sake of my kids! I am very nervous about using the tablets and like many of you not impressed with the lack of information given to me by my Doctor. However, have been reading this site now for an hour and your stories and advice is inspirational - hope I can be one of you very soon to someone else! Starting weight today is 23 stone 2 1bs - a long way to go, but every journey has to have a beginning!! Want to do my kids proud x Wish me luck x:family2:

My Goals
:

Lose 10lbs by the end of February
Lose 2 stone by my birthday (28th March)
Lose 3 stone by end of April
Lose 3.5 stone by end of May
Lose 4 stone by end of June
Lose 4.5 stone by end of July
Lose 5.5 stone by my 20th anniversary on 8/9/10!

Last edited:
Good morning Ruthie, and welcome. You have made a great start, by coming here! We are all in the same boat and the support you get here is invaluable. If you stick with the fat rules- no food more than 5% fat and no more than 15% fat at any meal, then Xenical will work well for you. The way it works for me is to keep me on the straight and narrow, I'm too afraid of the side effects! Pick a weigh-in day and try to stick to it-scale hopping only makes me depressed, although I still do it! By all means do it for your kids (all 831 of them??!) but do it for yourself too. Any questions, just ask, there's always someone lurking around here to give an opinion or answer a question. Good luck with your journey, and keep posting, it's great motivation.

KB x

How funny - just replied to one of your threads - I am new to this and not sure what I am doing! How do you put your goals on - is it just a case of editing what you have written?

Ps - 831 kids? Thankfully no - just the two!! 831 is a code for I Love You - 8 letters, 3 words, 1 meaning!

Oh I love the 831 thing, that's lovely. If you log in and look at the top left of the blue strip you'll see "usercp" If you click that and look down the left hand side you'll see "edit signature" and you can add your goals there, or a ticker, or whatever suits you. When you have first joined you don't have much signature space but after posting for a while you get more. Hope that helps. I see you have your ticker already, this takes up most of your signature space to start with so you'll just have to keep posting!

KB x

Well, Day 1 is nearly over! I have survived it! I feel very positive actually and its amazing how that little blue pill makes you not want to eat anything fatty! I am hoping this is what I needed to keep me on track! Even enjoying a glass of ice water (in a wine glass) and not feeling deprived! 7 weeks to my birthday and my goal of 2 stone!!

Hi Ruthie, how is day 2 going? Hope all is well and you are powering ahead. Will you be weighed by the nurse or have you set your own weigh day yet? Here's to a great day,

KB x

Hi Kitty - Day 2 has gone well! Its so surprising though just how much fat is in things - thought I was going to have a nice healthy spanish omlette for tea until I found out how bad they were - dont think the little blue pill will like that!! Also love pilchards on toast - thats a no no! Ended up with tomato and pepper soup which was lovely, but feeling hungry now, so off to bed to avoid temptation! Its daft, only day 2 yet I already feel better/healthier - is that in the mind?? (ps - got your friend request and tried to accept but not really sure what I am doing!!):family2:

My Goals
:

Lose 5.5 stone by my 20th anniversary on 8/9/10! __________________
Ruthie xx:)

Morning Ruthie, you were up late last night! The friend request hasn't gone through so I'm not sure what went wrong, we'll have to try again. I lost 2 pounds this week but am hoping for more next week. Having said that it will be a challenge as 17th is a very good friends birthday, 19th is my husbands birthday and on 20th my 11 year old will be 12! He has decided not to have a party with his friends but wants a family party with the grannies, grandas, aunties, uncles, cousins etc. No mean feat as we are a big family and his menu reads like every blue pill poppers nightmare but I'll just have to do my best.
I know what you mean about the fat in food, it amazes me where you find it when you least expect it. You'll find that you learn quickly, though and it soon becomes second nature. Sometimes it helps to post your food fro the day on here and then we all get to pick over it! Have a great day,

KB x

Hi - well Day 3 going equally well - discovered sushi today - never had it before because I thought it was raw fish but I had a chicken one from Tesco and it was yum! Followed by huge bowl of fresh pineapple - gorgeous lunch! For breakfast I had flakes with strawberries and a low fat yoghurt and I am making a chicken for tea so will probably do a huge salad to go with that! :D
Well on track I feel to achieve my first goal at the end of February - just hope the couple of meals I have got booked in dont put me off - I tend to feel like a failure when I have a "treat" and think whats the point - but got to change my whole attitude to this new lifestyle! Can I miss a tablet if I am going out for a meal? Any advice?

My Goals
:

Hi Ruthie, The problem with missing a tablet if you go out is that you might find that the other tablets you have taken are still in your system and you get the side effects anyway, to be sure you need to stop them a day or 2 before and do you really want to do that? Up to you of course. What sort of food will you be eating ie Chinese, European etc and maybe someone can help with the lowest fat but tastiest options? It's so hard, I know, I love creamy sauces and big steaks and garlic butter and the like but have had to get used to other things....

The trouble is one of the meals is the Cookery Teacher at my son's school. He has made friends with her son who also goes to the school and she has invited us around next Saturday - have only ever chatted on facebook to her so dont really know her and her husband and as its the first time of meeting I dont really want to say "can you cook something low fat please" which is what I could say to a close friend! Its a hard one! My other meal is at a restaurant on Tuesday and I have already offered to drive the other girls there and will opt for a low fat option as all their food is great!

Well you'd like to think that the cookery teacher wouldn't be serving you anything dripping in grease but I take your point. Hmm difficult one all right, not sure what I'd do in those circumstances, maybe just go with the flow, keep it as low as you can and take whatever consequences arrive on Sunday? (plan for a day at home!!)

You have got me scared now!! Dont think I will enjoy the meal knowing whats in store!!

Today has gone really well - chicken, small portion of pots and corn for tea! Have you had a good day?

My Goals
:

Yes, good day, weigh-in this morning but only 2 pounds off. Then realised it's TOTM and that might explain the "picky" week I've had and that really cheered me up and got me focused again. Onwards and downwards!

Hey, 2lbs is a bag of sugar - my sister once said to me years ago to put it in a carrier bag and carry it around all day - soon realise how much you have lost!! It worked! (didnt last all day - about half an hour!)

Well, here I am on day 5 - feeling very positive still despite the blip this morning when hubby presented me with a box of Thorntons to say Happy Valentines Day - MEN!!! He got a telling off and apologised and has taken them away. Had a chat about being supportive, which he normally is, but said he had bought them a couple of weeks ago! Still!! I am very excited for my weigh in on Wednesday morning as it will be a week since starting the little blue pills! I have been so good - I deserve to be rewarded!

My Goals
:

Morning, Ruthie and you have every right to be excited about Wednesday you have had such a positive week. Poor hubby, but well done you for sending them away. I bet the old Ruthie would have eaten them and said "I'll start again next week" wouldn't she? My hubby was well warned that if he bought chocolates he's be wearing them, so I had flowers instead. They'll last longer than chocolates ever would have in this house! I'm really looking forward to hearing about your weight loss in Wednesday, keep up the good work!

KB x

Hi Kitty - too right the old Ruth would have eaten them all in bed first thing!! But the new Ruth was fab and sent them packing! Then, and we need a drum roll please ...................... we went for a 2 hour walk around a huge reservoir which was beautiful - 10 minutes in I suggested we head back cos my hips were already aching, but by half way I was well up for it and got into it! 2 hours walking is a huge achievement for me since having cellulitis in my leg 2 years ago - still suffer now but my positive head just kept me going! Have to say, suffering a bit now, but that can only be good - meant I used muscles that havent been used in a while! Had chicken, roast veg and a small portion of Mash made with skimmed milk for tea and half a bottle of Rose - first treat this week! Well, it was Valentines Day!

OMG!!!!

OMG!! I cannot believe what the scales are saying! I have lost 1 stone in 1 week!! How fab do I feel? :D I have been so motivated and felt so positive but I didnt expect that!! I have already reached my first mini-target of a stone before the end of February! I am sure that long walk on Sunday helped - not walked for 2 hours in many many years! It has made going out tonight and on Saturday a lot easier - I will be able to stay focussed! Tonight I am going to drive and I can order something healthy but worried a little about Saturday as its a "Food Tech Teacher" that is cooking a meal for us and already know she is doing a rich choc pudding for dessert! Help!!! But what I have to remember this time is that this is a complete lifestyle change and I am allowed to enjoy the odd celebratory meal or else I will drive myself mad with guilt! That's where I have gone wrong in the past! Onwards and upwards!!!

My Goals
:

Lose 1 stone by the end of February(achieved 16/2/10) :girlpower:

Ruthie!!! :happy096: Oh well done you, that's amazing, I thought weigh day wasn't till tomorrow?? That's an incredible weight loss, and what motivation for you to keep going. Enjoy those meals out but not too much and if I were you I'd say it loud and proud to that teacher, "I'm cutting down, so just a small portion for me" then you still get your treat but not enough to push you off track. I'm sure you are so proud of yourself, well done.

KB x

Back