The getting married thread

lentil2 said:
Lol....I did suggest he take my name!! I mean, why not?? Break with tradition and all that!!! I hate tradition!!
I just got a look!!!!
Lol

I suggested that and even had a compelling argument - he has three bros so his name would be carried on within 3 families, I have 1 bro so it only be carried on thru one So only Fair I keep mine and he takes it lol he still refuses!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Seriously though - who started up all this changing name nonsense which has left us woman in this position lol!!

It can be a bit of a pain, especially if your OH has a dodgy surname! My OH asked if I would have taken his name if he had his mums maiden name, which isn't great, I was like errr yeah I think so, maybe!

How much is everyone aiming to lose before the wedding? I'm aiming for 1.5-2 stone or be in a size 14, currently in an 18 at the mo x

Haha...I am like your OH, it wouldn't bother me if I didn't get married. I think as long as you are happy together, that's the main thing. I think marriage often brings a lot of pressures and
I don't know why it should change things but I think it does for some people. Having said that, I am really happy that I have been asked and had no hesitation in saying yes!! And I'm really happy about it and it does somehow make me feel complete. Never thought I'd say that!!
Changing my name however is a different matter. I'm like you on that one!! I have always said if I ever got married that I would keep my surname...afterall, I've had it all my life, why should I change it now!! See I told you I wasn't very conventional!!!
I'm still undecided on that one though now it's actually happening! I think these days more women are keeping their name or changing to a double barrelled name. Our names don't really work as double b so that's out of the question.

people have mentioned the double barrelled thing to me but my second name would just embarrass his second name (i love love love my second name), wouldnt wanna make his feel bad haha. i know how you feel about the complete thing, i was very independant before i met oh and declared i was never getting married and why should the woman change her name blah blah but he is my best friend/soulmate and complete is a very good way of describing it hun! xx

It can be a bit of a pain, especially if your OH has a dodgy surname! My OH asked if I would have taken his name if he had his mums maiden name, which isn't great, I was like errr yeah I think so, maybe!

How much is everyone aiming to lose before the wedding? I'm aiming for 1.5-2 stone or be in a size 14, currently in an 18 at the mo x

ideally want to lose 2stone 9.8 pound but realistically ive never actually weighed that low well maybe when i was 10 haha so 25.8lb is my goal so far and see what i feel like when i get there! xx

hi guys, im getting married on 29/10/11, and im soo excited, i have everything sorted apart from the weight loss lol

hi guys, im getting married on 29/10/11, and im soo excited, i have everything sorted apart from the weight loss lol

Hi hun, welcome to the thread :) how long have you been on the diet for? dont worry you will get to goal, im planning on coming on here anytime i feel weak so if you ever need someone o chat to, i'll be on quite a bit lol. I'm gonna start a wedding folder and plan with pictures/options and dates of payment etc and will look through it for inspiration.

Fearless xx

Name thing is difficult. My OH really wants me to take his name. Don't like it though, as I have to spell it everytime I say it!
I'll keep my name at work I think. Just to rebel a little bit!
I only have a sister, and female cousins, so my name will die out in this generation. I'll keep it as a second middle name for passport etc.

I'm planning on losing 8stone. It seemed a ridiculous goal, but now I'm almost halfway - it doesn't seem so crazy!

Wow - there are a lot of brides on here!

Hi guys, I'm getting married on the 10th sept 2011, in the lake district! Fingers crossed for good weather!!!! We are having a bigish wedding, budget is approx £12000, not including honeymoon. I collected my dress a few weeks ago as the shop has no room to store it, it's very tempting to try it on all the time, so I've left it at my dads so I can't. Have my 1st fitting on 1st aug, and hoping to loose another 2 stone by then, lost 2 st 5 lb so far, and that's since they ordered the dress and it fit almost perfect when I tried it on a couple of weeks ago!!! Don't know what happened there. However since Easter I've been really struggling to get my head back in the zone, every day starts off well, then ends badly. I'm determined today to be good from now on, hen do is 24th June in London, and I want to be another stone down!
Anyway, good luck guys, we can do it! X

I only restarted on saturday, and i have 4 stone to lose, i dont think that this will happen, :(. Me bridesmaid dresses got delivered last week and i keep going in the room to look at them lol. i wish i had more stuff to do but i dont, so its just a waiting game now :(

I only restarted on saturday, and i have 4 stone to lose, i dont think that this will happen, :(. Me bridesmaid dresses got delivered last week and i keep going in the room to look at them lol. i wish i had more stuff to do but i dont, so its just a waiting game now :(

dont beat yourself up before you get going hun 4stone in that time frame is definately achievable you just have to be 100% committed to the diet and it will happen, average loss is 1stone a month with bigger losses in the first month so more than possible :D have you got a pic of your dress?

I'm planning on losing 8stone. It seemed a ridiculous goal, but now I'm almost halfway - it doesn't seem so crazy!

wow well done Hun! Has it taken long? I want to lose about 7 stone and it seems such a feat!

Name thing is difficult. My OH really wants me to take his name. Don't like it though, as I have to spell it everytime I say it!
I'll keep my name at work I think. Just to rebel a little bit!
I only have a sister, and female cousins, so my name will die out in this generation. I'll keep it as a second middle name for passport etc.

well done hun you have done so well so far! when did you start the diet?

I'm due to get married/civil partnered September next year but in the mean time we're trying for a baby with a sperm donor so the wedding will come when I've managed to save anything or do anything on the cheap! unfortunately but correctly the kids come first in house! Which means expensive Clarks school shoes come before favours!

I have picked my dress though which is stunning if I do say so myself! my OH is wearing a dress to so its going to be a whole lot of wedding dress about on that day! Our colour scheme is black, white and silver, black suits, silver cravats/waistcoats, black and silver bridesmaid dresses and both mine and the OH's dresses are blak and white...apart from that...we really don't have much else sorted! hope you are all well today xx

Love the colour scheme Emma - sounds really elegant and sophisticated! Good luck with trying for the baby, hope it goes well! How r u getting on with CD Hun?

I'm due to get married/civil partnered September next year but in the mean time we're trying for a baby with a sperm donor so the wedding will come when I've managed to save anything or do anything on the cheap! unfortunately but correctly the kids come first in house! Which means expensive Clarks school shoes come before favours!

I have picked my dress though which is stunning if I do say so myself! my OH is wearing a dress to so its going to be a whole lot of wedding dress about on that day! Our colour scheme is black, white and silver, black suits, silver cravats/waistcoats, black and silver bridesmaid dresses and both mine and the OH's dresses are blak and white...apart from that...we really don't have much else sorted! hope you are all well today xx

what made you go with that colour scheme? its unusual but sounds good, must have pics when time comes! mine will be purple but just cos im addicted to anything purple, OH said ide like **** if it was purple :8855: have you got pics of the dresses? im addicted to them atm :p

edited question as also chatting in pm lol x

Last edited:
well done hun you have done so well so far! when did you start the diet?

Thanks. Started beginning of January. Hope to hit my 4 stone off this week.

wow well done Hun! Has it taken long? I want to lose about 7 stone and it seems such a feat!

I started on 6th January. I'm hoping to get to 4 stone loss this week. It would have been more, as I only lost a couple of pounds over the past few weeks as I had to move to SW for 3 weeks.

The time will fly by honestly! Its gone so quick for me.

My best advice would be:
- stick to it 100% (there's no point restricting yourself to shakes for 6 and a half days and then picking on a carrot which could set you back)
- drink as much water as you can. It definately speeds up my losses.

Good luck!

Jayellekay said:
I started on 6th January. I'm hoping to get to 4 stone loss this week. It would have been more, as I only lost a couple of pounds over the past few weeks as I had to move to SW for 3 weeks.

The time will fly by honestly! Its gone so quick for me.

My best advice would be:
- stick to it 100% (there's no point restricting yourself to shakes for 6 and a half days and then picking on a carrot which could set you back)
- drink as much water as you can. It definately speeds up my losses.

Good luck!

Thanks Hun, I'm intending to stick to it 100% but have got a few meals off planned over next few months but hope to keep them to just that. Can I ask why u did sw for 3 weeks? Did u continue to loose straight away following the move? I was thinking sw once at goal but know it can b carb heavy unless u follow the red plan

My colour scheme is purple and white with steel gray suits. I want to keep it quite simple.

Black and white looks really good, very crisp. Especially bridesmaid dresses x

Back