The Joys of night shift!!

jeffreysdriver

Alas the time has come for me to start night shift again. Been doing not too badly with the old green day Slimming World - been making veggie bean stew-come-chilli type dishes and taking MugShots or beans, and plenty of fruit and a couple of Mullerlights to work with me.

But...

I've found that i've completely lost my appetite! I'm a bit worried now that i'm scuppering the whole weight loss thing!

I was working Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights (8pm to 830am), and I think over the whole 3 nights I ate about 4 punnets of fruit (Rasps, Blackberries, Cherries), an apple, half a rice/veg dish and a bean stew. And a litre of water a night. Before I go to work i've been having a bowl of Bran Flakes with milk (breakfast at 7pm is odd!!).

Its just not very much!! Since 7pm last night, i've eaten my Bran Flakes at 7pm; an apple at the back of midnight; bean stew at 3am; a Mullerlight at about 4am, and then some SlimmingWorld chips for (what is technically) breakfast, at 730pm tonight!!

Am I going to muck everything up???

:(

I doubt it will be mucked up! You might have a small gain when you go back to eating "normally" again, but nothing that won't come off again as quickly as it went on.

There's no point in making yourself eat if you're not hungry, but try and eat as much as you can manage until you are back onto day shifts.

so /hugs! and no you haven't mucked it up!

I'm the same at the moment - nearing the end of my first week on nightshift and I'm just not eating the same as I would be during dayshift.

Thankfully it's only for the month. I'm trying to keep to having free foods and within syns. I'm not going over but I just feel like I've lost none. Gah! We'll see on Wednesday when I do my weekly weigh in (am an online at home person thingy!)

I'm so close to getting to that stone lost aswell I really don't want to see a gain, which I have a feeling is going to happen just because I'm not eating enough! :cry:

I dont think you are eating too little, in fact, you eat more than I do. When I am on nights, I only eat my meals between the time i get up (anywhere between 1 and 3pm) and the time I go to work (10pm). I never take anything to work with me as it would be gone in the first hour of being there. Then when I get home, I feed the dogs and go straight to bed so nothing there either. Ive been doing SW on and off for the last 8 years and I do 7 nightshifts in a row every 5 weeks, so far no problems, but as zombiecakes has said, you will have a good loss on your night shift week, and either a small loss or a STS on the week you go back to normal eating patterns, thats what usually happens to me.

hi, I only work nights! I am a midwife so the place is full of chocolates and stuff so have to take stuff to keep me away from it all! I also have a 21 month old so i dont sleep in the day either so am up for hours (I dont do my nights consecutively) I an worried that i will eat too much! this is my first sw day, and first night this week! did sw years ago, but has changed a bit now with ee! I am planning to take my dinner with me and snack on friut in the night? and coffee!!!!! good luck fellow night owls, it is harder than normal to loose weight when you work odd hours, but it can be done! keep up he good work guys.xx

Wow, i would really struggle with night shift eating, the only thing that keeps me on plan is the routine of breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

What i would recommend though is maybe swapping some of the fruit for some veggie snacks instead - carrot, celery, cucumber sticks, things like that. I think 4 punnets of berries is a hell of a lot of sugar and you might get a better loss for cutting it down a bit? I found my losses were much better when i swapped fruit for veggies! xxx

Wow, i would really struggle with night shift eating, the only thing that keeps me on plan is the routine of breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

What i would recommend though is maybe swapping some of the fruit for some veggie snacks instead - carrot, celery, cucumber sticks, things like that. I think 4 punnets of berries is a hell of a lot of sugar and you might get a better loss for cutting it down a bit? I found my losses were much better when i swapped fruit for veggies! xxx

OOoooh now that's a good idea!!! I never thought of that! i figured that because the fruit was spread over a few nights it would be ok but i never even considered the whole sugar content thing! Pants!

I'll be heading to Asda before Friday so will top up on the old red pepper :) will need to find something to dip it in though...

hi, I only work nights! I am a midwife so the place is full of chocolates and stuff so have to take stuff to keep me away from it all! I also have a 21 month old so i dont sleep in the day either so am up for hours (I dont do my nights consecutively) I an worried that i will eat too much! this is my first sw day, and first night this week! did sw years ago, but has changed a bit now with ee! I am planning to take my dinner with me and snack on friut in the night? and coffee!!!!! good luck fellow night owls, it is harder than normal to loose weight when you work odd hours, but it can be done! keep up he good work guys.xx

The chocolate thing is hell!!!! I'm an RMN and it's all my ward seems to get as thank you gifts lol. Not that i'm complaining, as it's really nice to feel appreciated, but its far too tempting!!

I work in a gaming company and all we have is vending machines of crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks - oh and they have been buying pizza for everyone because of the football..

:'(

That and being on nightshift for the month. My god I could eat my arm off.

I have the same problem too, im a midwife and do quite a lot of nights but i dont find they interfere with my weight loss.

I tend to eat as normal as if im not going out on nights the day of my shift and then have an alpen bar and a cup of tea at my 9/10pm break, i then have a baked potatoe with beans and cheese at my MN/1am break (i see this as my lunch for that day) and then my toast and banana and a yoghurt at 5/6am (my breakfast for the day). So when i then get up at about 2ish i just have my dinner as normal about 5pm and im back on track.

Its worked so far :)

hi aileen, where do you work? we dony tend to get breaks! so when i eat its grabbing somethin on the hoof or when writing paper work! gad its not stopped you loosing weight! hope it doesnt stop me! I have just finished a night and managed to stay away from the crisps, bicuits and other crap people bought in, i had my couscous and salad while doing my delivery notes! gonna have a green day today! good luck everyone.x

Hi Amanda, i work in Lanarkshire in Scotland.

I hate the temptation of chocolates in work, its murder! They were tonnes yesterday too cos we had been so busy!

Back