The lamb mince debate

mastiffmum

I'm no sure if anyone has noticed, but some of the recipes in the sw magazine, list lean lamb mince as the ingredients, NOT extra lean. For example in jan/feb issue, there is a recipe for Harissa spiced lamb burgers using 511g of lean minced lamb, syns per serving EE free, Original fee. I think it is near on impossible to get the extra lean variety, unless especially made by your butcher, which would cost a fortune. So my theory is that if sw say lean is syn free, then I will be taking that as gospel!

So I think we can all stop fretting over the minced lamb now, besides, if a lamb shank in gravy with over 20g fat is classed as syn free, then I don't see why a portion of the mince isn't.

Off to make donner kebab me thinks.........LOL

Very occassionally I use lean lamb mince, and I just buy the lowest fat content, depending on which supermarket I am in, and just ignore the fact that it has any syns.

I also cook and drain/pat down all my mince before using it in a recipe just be sure.

I did find extra lean lamb mince in Tesco extra but not for ages . If a recipe says lean that's what I use.Not sure if I'm fooling/cheating myself though!

Back