The last time I ever join a slimming club .....

fat&40

Thought I'd start my own diary, hopefully to keep me on track. I've never written a blog or diary before so we'll see how I go.

I was 40 earlier this year and for as long as I can remember I've wanted / needed to loose weight. Over the years I've tried everything;

Slimming Magazine 1992 - lost about 20lbs, gave up
Scottish Slimmers (before it was scottish slimmers) 1995 - lost a couple of stone, gave up
Slimming World 1997 -(remember loosing 9lbs first week) lost a couple of stone, gave up
Weight Watchers 2000 - lost 35 lbs, then excellent C moved onto bigger and better things, I lost interest and gave up
Xenical - didn't loose a lb, not 1 - fat just wasn't the issue it was portion control & carbs!
Slimming World 2003 - lost a couple of stone, got pregnant, stayed for a few months then gave up
Slimming World 2005 - tried to loose some baby weight, again couple of stone - gave up
Slimming World July 2011 - this is the last time!

Now the very fact that I can remember these is scary. When I first went to a 'slimming club' I weighed 14 stone 7 lbs (hell I wish I weighed that now). But 19 years, 1 wedding, 2 children and many many groups later, I've lost & gained a ridiculous amount of weight. As of July 2011 I weighed in at 19 stone 10 lbs :eek:.

I'm now about 7lbs from my normal quit level (i.e. 2 stone) but I have never started from this high before. NO I still feel very motivated, the group I am in is good and the support on here helps loads.

Wednesday evening is wi for me and while I'd love to loose 5 stone in the next 20 minutes :8855:, realistically 1.5 lbs will be ok. I'm trying to convince myself as it didn't go on overnight it won't come off overnight.

Last week my dd had a birthday so off we go to a chinese buffet - now normally this is my idea of heaven, all those wontons, prawn toasts, duck pancakes etc - you see I'm one of lifes pickers but it was her choice so I decided to flexible syn at 60 (came in at 61.5). I do know if I'd spent the last 40 years eating proper meals and not picking on, well anything really, then I probably wouldn't be here.

To add a little interest to proceedings I have PCOS. I was diagnosed almost 19 years ago and while I know this is one factor in my life, it isn't the only reason I am fat - I like food, I overeat and I love carbs. Now I do know that the pcos will not help the carb issue but I just have to live with it. There is no magic pill to help - tried metformin (weight gain :() some years ago. Saw medical herbalist too - spent a fortune, no difference. Low carb is the only way for me - shame it's taken 20 years to work it out :rolleyes:

aw babes well you have started now hey, its a long battle and 1 that i can safely assume not many want to undertake but you have realised your flaws and have to fight them head on :) i wish you every success in your journey babes x :) and look forward to seeing your progress :) x

Lost 1.5 lbs last night and got my 1.5 stone sticky and sotw - obviously some low losses, well apart from 1 girl who lost 3 but she'd put on last week so didn't get sotw (how does that work?).

Next target is to get at least 2.5 lbs off next week then I'm in the 17s. I did join the Sept challenge and "very optomistically" aimed for 13 lbs - now I'm not going to loose 6 next week but overall I'm pleased.

Food wise last night's tea wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. I had some hoisin sauce so added that to some pork steaks, carrots, mushrooms & leeks and put in slow cooker, served with rice & broccoli. The problem was there was just too much liquid so I thickened it a bit with some smash. It never ceases to amaze me how little liquid you need in a slow cooker.

Tea tonight will probably be a bit of a mixed grill - got some gammon steaks / sainsburys low syn sausages / mushrooms / tomatoes / eggs all sitting in the fridge.

Hi there and welcome to Minis! Well done on your losses so far, you're doing great!

I too had tried and failed far too many times before. Then I got to my 40s and realised it was now or never. I've been on SW for 15 months now and lost 5 stone - so I'm definitely a tortoise, not a hare. The difference is that I've managed to keep my willpower - and I think that's because I've managed my expectations much better this time around!

Even when it gets tough, or you have a bad week, don't give up and remember - it will come off if you keep going!

Good luck! x

aw babes well you have started now hey, its a long battle and 1 that i can safely assume not many want to undertake but you have realised your flaws and have to fight them head on :) i wish you every success in your journey babes x :) and look forward to seeing your progress :) x

Hi there and welcome to Minis! Well done on your losses so far, you're doing great!

I too had tried and failed far too many times before. Then I got to my 40s and realised it was now or never. I've been on SW for 15 months now and lost 5 stone - so I'm definitely a tortoise, not a hare. The difference is that I've managed to keep my willpower - and I think that's because I've managed my expectations much better this time around!

Even when it gets tough, or you have a bad week, don't give up and remember - it will come off if you keep going!

Good luck! x

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definately in it for the long haul. For me I need to be able to tweak family favourites or at least new menus that all will like - I don't want to be "on a diet" and that's what I like with sw.

Hiya, and well done on your 1.5lb loss this week, and all that you have lost so far.
I look forward to following your journey, as I think from your opening post, you are defiantely in the right mind set to succeed this time!
I'm all for tweeking family favourites, as I would never dream of cooking something different for me, 'As I am on a diet!'

Hello honey and welcome to Minimins.
I also have spent many years dieting on and off many of them dieting with SW but my heart was never in it (apart from the very first time when I lost 7 stone but then got pregnant and gained it all back again)

Anyway I am looking forward to reading your diary.

xx

Hi f&f. Looking forward to following your journey. I'm 41 and looking back now ca'mt believe I thought I was fat when I was 10.5 stones when I turned 30!

Lots of contributing factors to my weight gain but not going to dwell on them - going to put all my energies into being slimmer by the time I hit 42 in 6 months time.

Xx

Hello honey and welcome to Minimins.
I also have spent many years dieting on and off many of them dieting with SW but my heart was never in it (apart from the very first time when I lost 7 stone but then got pregnant and gained it all back again)

Anyway I am looking forward to reading your diary.

xx

Hi f&f. Looking forward to following your journey. I'm 41 and looking back now ca'mt believe I thought I was fat when I was 10.5 stones when I turned 30!

Lots of contributing factors to my weight gain but not going to dwell on them - going to put all my energies into being slimmer by the time I hit 42 in 6 months time.

Xx

Thanks for the support - It makes such a difference knowing others are serialdieters like me.

Not been around today, bit of a mare really - dd not well. She's ok now but all round a bit of a day.

So what to do this weekend - well there is a food festival on that I usually go to but tbh that could just be a danger zone too far. The food I can avoid but I'm a sucker for decent coffee - not a problem in itself however........ I need sugar in it! and I'm talking 2 spoons of lovely brown sugar. One isn't too bad or even 2 but really I don't want to be wasting all my syns on sugar. I've tried sweeteners and tbh I'd rather not bother. This is the thing if I'm having regular instant (Millicano is my brand of choice atm) then I drink it black no sugar - ideal but give me decent coffee and I want milk and sugar.

I suppose on an sas log this would definately be a trigger.

Happy Monday ....

What a busy weekend; been on plan ok but feel like I need a bit of a push. Bit annoyed that I did waste a few syns on sugar in cappuccino but not too bad.

Over syns a little on Saturday but kept to plan the rest of the time. My meals definately need an overhaul; I'll get my thinking cap on...

todays menu

Breakfast - tried magic porridge - sorry fans of this but I managed 2 tsp then in the bin it went. Time was running out then so settled for a banana.

Lunch - smoked salmon, lettuce, tomatoes & cottage cheese with a snackpot yoghurt - all free

Snacks - plum / nectarine / apple / pear / satsuma

Dinner - cottage pie with carrot / swede on top (instead of potato) with broccoli

Woo hoo its Tuesday

Feeling a bit more positive today on the sw front - though sadly work is a bit of a pain atm.

todays menu - another red one!

Breakfast - 2 weetabix (1 hexb), milk (1 hexa) & banana

Lunch - smoked salmon, lettuce, tomatoes & cottage cheese with a diet irish yoghurt - all free

Snacks - plum / nectarine / apple / pear / satsuma

Dinner - gammon, new pots (hexb), french beans

Need to get some exercise in - haven't done anything this week :eek:

Weigh in tomorrow and 2.5 lbs will see me into the 17s :) (never thought I'd ever be happy about that statement!) Can't imagine how I will feel when I say into the 12s. I don't remember ever being 12 stone anything :(. I remember being 13 stone 5 lbs - but that was 1992!

Good ;uck for your weigh in tomorrow :)

xx

Sunny Wednesday

Why do I always feel a bit apprehensive on weigh in day - I've been good all week, well within syn allowance on a daily & weekly basis (except my little extra on Saturday which was 22.5 syns). Really think I should get my 2.5 off but I always feel a bit bigger on a Wednesday. I'm struggling with a migraine so not feeling my best.

Yesterday's dinner went completely &*$% up - didn't fancy the gammon so changed to a green day and ended up with *fried* potatoes & french beans with baked beans & mini babybel light (hexa)

todays menu - red

Breakfast - banana

Lunch - sw quiche with mini babybel light (hexa), lettuce & tomato, snackpot

Snacks - plum / apple / pear / satsuma / alpen light (1/2 hexb)

Dinner - maggi chicken, carrots, onion, potatoes (hexb). The maggi chicken is 5.5 syns between 4 according to website so I'll round up to 1.5 syns. This won't be eaten until after wi tonight.

Yoo yoghurt 2.5 syns

Syns for the day 4

Ooops still haven't done any exercise :eek:

Last edited:
Thoughtful Thursday

I did it - 3.5lbs off last night, got sotw & sotm and I now weigh 17stone 12.5 lbs. Will be trying to get 2.5 off next week for 2 stone & club 10 - ooh I do love shiny stickers and I don't like odd 1/2 lbs - they just don't look pretty.

I do like this sotw & sotm - got 2 fab recipes books for sotm (Aug & Sep) and the fruit basket at our group is always very good.

todays menu - green

Breakfast - weetabix (hexb) & ss milk (hexa) & banana

Lunch - butternut squash soup, snackpot

Snacks - plum / 2 apples / pear / 1/5 cupcake (at work made by a colleague, so know Kcals 300 - rounding up to 2 syns)

Dinner - sw quiche with cheese (hexa), yoo yoghurt 2, new hifi bar (1/2 hexb)

Syns for the day - 4

Last edited:
Well done on y our fab loss and SOW and SOM woop woop xxx

Thank crunchie it's Friday

Been a long week at work.

Dinner last night was changed - unplanned haircut meant I overrun on time. Luckily I always try to have some sw quiche in the fridge - it's a lifesaver for me.

todays menu - red

Lunch - sw quiche, lettuce, tomatoes, snackpot

Snacks - plum / apple / pear / satsuma / new choccie hifi bar (hexb)

Dinner - Not 100% sure but thinking 3 sainsburys cumberland sausages (1.5 syn), mushrooms, egg & tomatoes, ketchup (1 syn)

Syns for the day - 2.5

Hows it going 40?
I've only just stumbled across this diary and have read it from page one! I didn't realise we joined the same week.
It reminded me in your intro, I have size 14 clothes upstairs and every size up to a 28. I have been in them all in the last 7 years.

A little similar to you I have repeatedly lost weight, but the most annoying thing for me is I do it all - the full 7 stone. I have lost it once, then spend the following years gradually putting it all back on. Right with you this time, this is the last time - I cant do this to my body anymore.
I normally have red days too - planning roast beef tonight. Have a good day x

Monday madness & weekend roundup

Saturday menu - red

Lunch - scan bran (5) & hm syn free pate, yoo yoghurt (2.5)

Snacks - sw quiche, apple, grapes

Dinner - Roast chicken, jacket potato, peas (1)

Syns for the day - 8.5

Sunday menu - red

Lunch - Harry Ramsdens large haddock all batter removed

Snacks - sw quiche, plum, grapes, costa coffee skinny cappuccino (3) with sugar (3)

Dinner - chicken stir fry, chinese 5 spice powder & soy sauce, yoo yoghurt (2.5)

Syns for the day - 8.5

Monday menu - red

Lunch - sw quiche, salad, cucumber, tomatoes, snackpot

Snacks - apples, satsumas, plum, nectarine, pear, small hifi bar (1/2 hexb)

Dinner - shepherds pie with carrot / swede mash (3.5)

Syns for the day - 3.5

This week I'm going to try to make something different which isn't too expensive. So far;

Chicken & bacon pate (C brought into group last week as a taster). I think I put a bit too much pepper & garlic in but it's still very nice.

Chicken stirfry - leftover roast chicken, bag basics stir fry veggies & extra bag of beansprouts sprinkling of soy sauce & chinese five spice. Will make again but add some hoi sin for a few syns.

Fish Pie - bought frozen fish pie mix and some extra frozen fillets. Will do this on an EE day with packet parsley sauce (few syns), add sweetcorn & peas & top with mashed potato - serve with loads of veg.

Last edited:
Back