The plateau!

clairejen

Lurker
OK, this thread is for anyone, whatever diet, to share how they dealt with a plateau so that we can all benefit from each others experiences.

It seems to happen with so many diets, great losses in the first week, pretty good in the second and then, maybe the next week or at some time in the following weeks, it all grinds to a halt. You are doing everything right but the scales won't budge. There is an interesting discussion of this on the traineo forum, somebody commented that when you put on weight it doesn't happen smoothly at a pound a week or whatever, so why should we expect it to be smooth in the other direction.

I have just been stuck for nearly three weeks, despite being ultra good on DDs. To try to get things going again I tweaked the diet by lowering my DDs to 470cals, cutting out coffee and changing my UDs so they were controlled calorie and lower fat using the unit diet. After a few days the scales started moving again - whether because of the adjustments or just because the plateau was over I will never know.

Other techniques I have read include:

gritting your teeth and just riding it out in the knowledge that it must end eventually.

going low carb on the UDs

giving yourself a break by changing the diet to 1500 cals a day (or whatever) for a week and then restarting

increasing calories and exercise levels to try to boost metabolism

I'm sure there are plenty more ideas that have been used successfully.

Back