The really slow loss team!

0.5lbs on for me which means a total weight loss of 4lbs since I started 13th July. The consultant looked at my menus and said I am doing nothing wrong and advised I reduce down to 10syns from 12.
I am trying not to get too down but I knew this would happen.
I have to keep a complete food diary for 4 weeks which she will send to head office if I am still not losing.
Not had a loss since 2nd August.

Latte - are you doing EE? Getting your 1/3 superfree with every meal? Portions not too big?

This was my downfall on EE. Overeating on the carbs - after all they're free - and not enough veg.

They are only free at meal times and you have to balance this with your Hex's and superfree.

Latte - are you doing EE? Getting your 1/3 superfree with every meal? Portions not too big?

This was my downfall on EE. Overeating on the carbs - after all they're free - and not enough veg.

They are only free at meal times and you have to balance this with your Hex's and superfree.

Yep, that's why I only do an odd EE day - I simply don't lose any weight otherwise, even if I stick to the rules.

I do mostly Red or Green now and it seems to work much better for me (apart from occasional slip ups on birthday weekends :ashamed0005: :giggle:).

My biggest problems is using both HExAs - there's only so much milk I can drink and I often don't eat things that you can add cheese too :confused:

My biggest problems is using both HExAs - there's only so much milk I can drink and I often don't eat things that you can add cheese too :confused:
Me too Annya - I will often have an omelette with cheese and onion in for lunch. Really filling. Or a baked spud with cheese & baked beans. Yum.
Or my favourite it crumpets (no butter :cry:) with cheese, baked beans and a poached egg - but that takes up a load of syns which I like save for a little glass of wine ! (well go on, a large glass :eek:)

well i have come to realise i will never be booted off this team, i have lost a pound after my gain of a pound last week and sts for god knows how long previously. urgh i give up. i have gained and lost the same 2 measley pound for a month and a half. my friend lost 4 whole pound this week and its not even her first week, is it wrong that im getting a case of the green eyed monster? especially as i told her my dismay and she gloated how much shed lost??? i would have done the same though to be fair. im so annoyed. will i EVER lose this weight? i seem to be stuck!!! so in true falling off the wagon style i have had a bottle of wine, a sandwich a bar of chocolate, a bag of crisps and am off for something else. whats another gain between friends eh?? lol

Lou - you never know! It might give your body a kick into losing again. It does sometimes happen.

thanks pommette, i doubt it though. im having some health problems at the minute which is stalling my weight loss, i have to have an op in 2 weeks so hoping this helps things as i should start to feel better. at the minute i just feel like its an uphill struggle all the time and then when i get down i eat, like tonight. ive eaten loads, couldnt help myself and am still wanting more!! but tomorrow i will be good again. plod plod plod. wish i was a fast loser. even in my first weeks the most ive lost is 3 and a half. whats that all about? my sister lost 8 pound. lol.

Sorry you're not on top of the world Lou. Hope the op goes ok.

My average loss is less than a pound with the odd bigger one. I've only ever managed more than a pound 8 times since I started back on SW. And they were nearly always followed by a gain or STS! I've lost total of 0.5 kg (1.1 lb) in the last 5 weeks!!!! So you really aren't alone chica.

conlou1 said:
well i have come to realise i will never be booted off this team, i have lost a pound after my gain of a pound last week and sts for god knows how long previously. urgh i give up. i have gained and lost the same 2 measley pound for a month and a half. my friend lost 4 whole pound this week and its not even her first week, is it wrong that im getting a case of the green eyed monster? especially as i told her my dismay and she gloated how much shed lost??? i would have done the same though to be fair. im so annoyed. will i EVER lose this weight? i seem to be stuck!!! so in true falling off the wagon style i have had a bottle of wine, a sandwich a bar of chocolate, a bag of crisps and am off for something else. whats another gain between friends eh?? lol

Hi lou, you sound a bit like me an emotional eater, having a takeaway cos i didn't lose that week. I've had to get out the habit of it and I've found my losses are generally more consistent - still small but as long as it's off that the main thing. Everyone in this group would love a 4lb loss but I think we've all accepted our bodies don't work like that and just accept the losses we do get. Please don't get too disheartened. Rather than using any disappointment as an excuse to fall off the wagon I now try to use it as a motivator. I get all my books out, plan my menus syns everything incorporate some different meals and plenty of speedy foods and work extra hard wen im at my exercise classes. Don't give up hun xx

Thank you so much it is good to have support when I feel like a failure.
The consultant said she has no answers for me as I am doing everything right except for dropping yet more syns.
I only do Green days as I don't eat meat at all and I only eat a little fish but no shellfish. I tried EE but gave up after 2 days as I was starving.

thanks everyone!! its nice to know im not alone. im a very emotional eater, if im bored, fed up, mad i eat. the only time i dont is at times of severe stress and the weight falls off me, but would rather not be in that position lol. i think i needed last night, it felt great at the time and i went to bed after my last post to stop myself from eating anymore, but i kept waking with heartburn and stomach ache, my body just isnt used to eating rubbish and so late on a night. i have started making mackerely pate on a night using mackerel, quark, lemon, and vinegar and i dip carrot sticks and celery into it. but im wondering if this is slowing weight loss cos i know its strictly speaking free but its still extra calories on a night isnt it? in a morning i dont get hugry, but my hunger starts from after tea until bed. and its literally all i can think about, ive always been the same but when i was a teen my mum wouldnt let us eat after a certain time and couldnt help ourselves to snacks and i was very thin, so maybe this is the key for me, not eating past a certain time-does anyone else have a food ban after a certain time? and if you do what time do you think?

Wi tonight and not looking forward to it!!

Had a bad week due to looking after poorly mum. Meal times were all over the place and I just ate whatever was there. Trying not to think of the damage I`ve done!! :cry:

conlou1 said:
thanks everyone!! its nice to know im not alone. im a very emotional eater, if im bored, fed up, mad i eat. the only time i dont is at times of severe stress and the weight falls off me, but would rather not be in that position lol. i think i needed last night, it felt great at the time and i went to bed after my last post to stop myself from eating anymore, but i kept waking with heartburn and stomach ache, my body just isnt used to eating rubbish and so late on a night. i have started making mackerely pate on a night using mackerel, quark, lemon, and vinegar and i dip carrot sticks and celery into it. but im wondering if this is slowing weight loss cos i know its strictly speaking free but its still extra calories on a night isnt it? in a morning i dont get hugry, but my hunger starts from after tea until bed. and its literally all i can think about, ive always been the same but when i was a teen my mum wouldnt let us eat after a certain time and couldnt help ourselves to snacks and i was very thin, so maybe this is the key for me, not eating past a certain time-does anyone else have a food ban after a certain time? and if you do what time do you think?

Deffo!! I got in from the gym at 9pm and just had weetabix or sometimes I have scan bran and nuttella or some fruit with plenty of water. I normally don't eat alot before I go at 7pm so I know I need to eat something.
Last night my other half came in at 10 and was going to put a pizza on then reconsidered his decision and had some toast. It's well documented that eating after a certain time causes weight gain as when you go to sleep your metabolism does the same and stores everything - kinda like when an animal hibernates for the winter.
Have you tried doing SAS logs? Rather than just writing a food diary it helps to indicate triggers etc x

totally spot on, i made a mess of this at first as no one told me. hence why i changed to red/green

bless ya x

I am completely the same as you! I eat rubbish because it's a habit, e.g. sit down in front of the TV with something yummy, or as an end to a meal. Often I eat when I'm lonely or upset, and if I've had a stressful day, I long to dive headfirst into a pile of chocolate (unlike you, I eat lots when I'm stressed). Couple that with social eating, general eating when I'm bored at work/home, etc, then it's a recipe for disaster!

I have definitely adapted these habits a little since starting SW. What helps me quite a bit is just not having these things in the cupboard/fridge, eg. chocolate, or, if I do have 'bad' things, making sure I know the syns of them, and then at least if I do crack, I know how much I've cracked by, and am therefore more likely to stop before I do real damage!! I'll also try and prepare for urges - e.g. buying a bar of my favourite chocolate, and then cutting it up into 2-4 syn chunks, and wrapping them individually in foil, so if I want something, I'll eat a foil pack, and feel like I've eaten the entire thing without actually eating the whole chocolate bar, and for only 2-4 syns rather than 15 or whatever. It's definitely geeky but it means that I feel like I can have the chocolate without eating the whole damn thing!!!

Anyway, I also wanted to say about the mackerel - I LOVE mackerel pate, but just wanted to check you are definitely using plain mackerel, not smoked - smoked has syns :sigh: (I made that mistake when I first started SW!) If you're using the smoked kind that will definitely add up your syns.

Also for hunger, have you tried drinking tea or herbal tea? Mint tea can help hunger in the evening, I've found, and it also doesn't have caffeine in it so it won't stop you sleeping.

But I don't think that eating carrot sticks and free dip should affect your losses. My consultant is really clear that basically, you can eat as much free/superfree food as you like until you're full, and it won't affect your weightloss. I asked her this specifically and she said that if you're hungry, you should eat superfree/free food, and as long as you don't stuff yourself with it, and do it sensibly (e.g. on EE, eating carrots rather than pasta) you can snack as much as you like with these foods. Hope that helps

Sorry for the essay!!! :p

(WI tomorrow guys, fingers crossed these red days have been making a bit of a difference...!)

x

oops 2lb off again this week:D! Next week it will be difficult though as hubbies birthday weekend and meals out etc;)

It's not eating late at night - it's just how long after you've eaten before you go to bed.

I live in Spain where no-one eats until about 9:30pm. It's just too hot in the summer to cook any earlier and eating salad all the time gets very boring!

But I normally don't go to bed until at least midnight - more likely 1 or 2am!
So I would personally say don't have anything within 2-3 hours of going to bed, otherwise it will just sit there and give you indigestion and/or heartburn.

Regarding snacking - healthy stuff IS better than chocholate. But do not deprive yourself - there leads the road to failure. Our syns are there for our treats so do as hannah suggested. Break the bars up into bits and wrap them and only have say 5 syns worth at once.

I'm lucky, I don't have a chocolate addiction but boy can I binge on peanuts and crisps. Especially late at night! Like Hannah if I opened the bag (and you can only get BIG bags here containing about 70 syns worth) I'd just scoff the lot. If I didn't have any in the house then I would get really grumpy so the only way I stopped myself was getting my darling hubby to help. He used to give me a small portion in a bowl and then hide the rest.

It has worked! I really do seem to be almost over it 8 months in! Now I only get the urge very occasionally and as I have now stopped buying them completely it's not easy to go out to buy any at midnight!

Sorry for another long essay - but hope this helps too.

sorry ive multi quoted a few of the long messages so its going to take up alot of room :eek:

Deffo!! I got in from the gym at 9pm and just had weetabix or sometimes I have scan bran and nuttella or some fruit with plenty of water. I normally don't eat alot before I go at 7pm so I know I need to eat something.
Last night my other half came in at 10 and was going to put a pizza on then reconsidered his decision and had some toast. It's well documented that eating after a certain time causes weight gain as when you go to sleep your metabolism does the same and stores everything - kinda like when an animal hibernates for the winter.
Have you tried doing SAS logs? Rather than just writing a food diary it helps to indicate triggers etc x

i did an sas log last week, and i realised i dont plan alot of my food, in fact nearly all, and i tend to eat it before i work out the syn value, like a denial thing, cos i know that if i find out the syns and theyre high i wont eat it but i REALLY want it so i kinda lie to myself, and i think i was having too many hex's and forgetting id had them :/

I am completely the same as you! I eat rubbish because it's a habit, e.g. sit down in front of the TV with something yummy, or as an end to a meal. Often I eat when I'm lonely or upset, and if I've had a stressful day, I long to dive headfirst into a pile of chocolate (unlike you, I eat lots when I'm stressed). Couple that with social eating, general eating when I'm bored at work/home, etc, then it's a recipe for disaster!

I have definitely adapted these habits a little since starting SW. What helps me quite a bit is just not having these things in the cupboard/fridge, eg. chocolate, or, if I do have 'bad' things, making sure I know the syns of them, and then at least if I do crack, I know how much I've cracked by, and am therefore more likely to stop before I do real damage!! I'll also try and prepare for urges - e.g. buying a bar of my favourite chocolate, and then cutting it up into 2-4 syn chunks, and wrapping them individually in foil, so if I want something, I'll eat a foil pack, and feel like I've eaten the entire thing without actually eating the whole chocolate bar, and for only 2-4 syns rather than 15 or whatever. It's definitely geeky but it means that I feel like I can have the chocolate without eating the whole damn thing!!!

Anyway, I also wanted to say about the mackerel - I LOVE mackerel pate, but just wanted to check you are definitely using plain mackerel, not smoked - smoked has syns :sigh: (I made that mistake when I first started SW!) If you're using the smoked kind that will definitely add up your syns.

Also for hunger, have you tried drinking tea or herbal tea? Mint tea can help hunger in the evening, I've found, and it also doesn't have caffeine in it so it won't stop you sleeping.

But I don't think that eating carrot sticks and free dip should affect your losses. My consultant is really clear that basically, you can eat as much free/superfree food as you like until you're full, and it won't affect your weightloss. I asked her this specifically and she said that if you're hungry, you should eat superfree/free food, and as long as you don't stuff yourself with it, and do it sensibly (e.g. on EE, eating carrots rather than pasta) you can snack as much as you like with these foods. Hope that helps

Sorry for the essay!!! :p

(WI tomorrow guys, fingers crossed these red days have been making a bit of a difference...!)

x

OMG i did not know that about smoked mackerel :mad: i was told it was free and ive been eating like 2 big fillets at a time mixed with quark and lemon and vinegar. how many syns is an average smoked mackerel fillet? ill have to get the unsmoked in future. this makes sense as to why i havent been losing as ive also been using my full syn allowance each day on top and normally a flexi day on a weekend. theres no wonder im not losing much is there lol. thanks so much for the tip about choclate, im going to do this. ive just gone right off fruit at the minute and all i want to eat is rubbish haha.

It's not eating late at night - it's just how long after you've eaten before you go to bed.

I live in Spain where no-one eats until about 9:30pm. It's just too hot in the summer to cook any earlier and eating salad all the time gets very boring!

But I normally don't go to bed until at least midnight - more likely 1 or 2am!
So I would personally say don't have anything within 2-3 hours of going to bed, otherwise it will just sit there and give you indigestion and/or heartburn.

Regarding snacking - healthy stuff IS better than chocholate. But do not deprive yourself - there leads the road to failure. Our syns are there for our treats so do as hannah suggested. Break the bars up into bits and wrap them and only have say 5 syns worth at once.

I'm lucky, I don't have a chocolate addiction but boy can I binge on peanuts and crisps. Especially late at night! Like Hannah if I opened the bag (and you can only get BIG bags here containing about 70 syns worth) I'd just scoff the lot. If I didn't have any in the house then I would get really grumpy so the only way I stopped myself was getting my darling hubby to help. He used to give me a small portion in a bowl and then hide the rest.

It has worked! I really do seem to be almost over it 8 months in! Now I only get the urge very occasionally and as I have now stopped buying them completely it's not easy to go out to buy any at midnight!

Sorry for another long essay - but hope this helps too.

i am more of a savoury gal too, and crisps is my biggest downfall, i started buying french fries as theyre only 4.5 syns per pack, so i could have 2 a day if i wanted lol. i think im going to have a cut off time of 7-8pm. it will be really hard but i need to do this im getting really down about my weight and have been considering switching to atkins just to get a big chunk of weight off but i want to do it properly via sw so im not having to do seperate meals for myself.

also i read that apparently free food isnt free outside of meal times if you do ee?? is this right?? so if i was hungry later and did a big bowl of sw chips these would class as syns cos id eaten all my meals for the day?? if this is true it explains why im not losing along with everything else im doing wrong haha

Back