The really slow loss team!

Snacks should as first choice be Superfree - so fruit or veg basically.

The theory is you can have free foods as snacks as well. The "good" free foods to snack on are quark, ff yogurts, ff fromage frais and ff cottage cheese - and avoid the foods with carbs - spuds, pasta, rice, beans.

If you do snack on SW chips as well as having say pasta or rice at meal times you will almost certainly not lose weight - 'cos effectively you are just having an extra meal.

There was a huge discussion on a thread somewhere about this some time ago, and the conclusion was that if you do this then you should syn it. Like eating syn free roulade although this in theory doesn't have syns it does have lots calories - so scoffing a whole cake is just plain silly.

And what do too many calories do? Make us put on weight.
Now I know with SW you don't count calories but at the end of the day we have to use a bit of common sense.

Mackerel syns values for 28g on Red/EE
Tinned mackerel in brine or tomato sauce is free.
Tinned mackerel in oil is 0.5 syns
Smoked Mackerel is 1 syn. But 2 fillets (depending on size) will probably be 4 or 5 ounces - therefore 4 or 5 syns. On a green day it's 5 syns per 28g so 2 fillets are almost 2 days worth of syns at once!

Random 1lb on. I've come to accept this now I'm so close to target but would have loved that 1.5st award! X

Random 1lb on. I've come to accept this now I'm so close to target but would have loved that 1.5st award! X

Bummer :(

But on the bright side, at least your not up for a verbal warning ;)

It is really tough to lose those last few pounds (I am finding it tough enough tolose those few first pounds muchless!) - keep on keeping on, you will get there :)

okay........i lost 2 and a whopping half pounds !!?? before you all start ignoring me that is a two week weigh in so average is 1lb ish each week.

thankyou hunny ! i really dont know if i am eating enough you know...or maybe it has just been a yo yo week of over/under eating, i dont know! i am contemplating trying a red day but as a fish eater but non meat eater i would like some heyalp.

okay........i lost 2 and a whopping half pounds !!?? before you all start ignoring me that is a two week weigh in so average is 1lb ish each week.
Well done Felicity - at least you don't get a verbal warning as it's over 2 weeks!!! :D

. . . I am contemplating trying a red day but as a fish eater but non meat eater i would like some heyalp.
Link to a salmon recipe further down the thread here
MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum - View Single Post - The really slow loss team!
The mackerel pate (not smoked of course) that Conlou mentioned earler sounds good too (mackerel, quark, lemon, and vinegar). I reckon you could do this with with either tinned salmon or tuna as well. Fresh Cooked salmon migh also be yummy!

Try a steamed trout. Put a whole trout in a tin foil parcel with a few prawns stuffed up the middle with just 1 tablespoon of white wine in to steam it. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180c. Skin the trout when it comes out of the oven and serve with a prawn & leek sauce. Take LOTS of leeks chopped into batons and slowly sauted until almost a mush, add some cooked prawns and heat through, then add a tablespoon of quark at the end off the heat so it doesn't curdle.

I didn't like the sound of the leeks with the trout when I first saw this recipe on a Spanish TV programme but it is fantastic. You can also do it with mussels instead of the prawns if you like them. Even better!

Last edited:
Snacks should as first choice be Superfree - so fruit or veg basically.

The theory is you can have free foods as snacks as well. The "good" free foods to snack on are quark, ff yogurts, ff fromage frais and ff cottage cheese - and avoid the foods with carbs - spuds, pasta, rice, beans.

If you do snack on SW chips as well as having say pasta or rice at meal times you will almost certainly not lose weight - 'cos effectively you are just having an extra meal.

There was a huge discussion on a thread somewhere about this some time ago, and the conclusion was that if you do this then you should syn it. Like eating syn free roulade although this in theory doesn't have syns it does have lots calories - so scoffing a whole cake is just plain silly.

And what do too many calories do? Make us put on weight.
Now I know with SW you don't count calories but at the end of the day we have to use a bit of common sense.

Mackerel syns values for 28g on Red/EE
Tinned mackerel in brine or tomato sauce is free.
Tinned mackerel in oil is 0.5 syns
Smoked Mackerel is 1 syn. But 2 fillets (depending on size) will probably be 4 or 5 ounces - therefore 4 or 5 syns. On a green day it's 5 syns per 28g so 2 fillets are almost 2 days worth of syns at once!

thanks for the info on mackerel, i buy a 4 pack of mackerel and blitz it all with quark and lemon etc and can easily eat it through one day or over 2 days as snacks as i thought it was free so in effect ive been having an extra 5-10 syns on the days ive been having them. i knew the tinned in tomatoes was free which is why i presumed the smoked was :( gutted now. would the tinned mackerel still be ok in a pate do you think? well tonight i saved some of my tea to eat later as i knew id be hungry so instead of having another mini meal i just ate less at tea time and ate the rest when i got in, and nibbled on my laughing cow light cheese triangles cos i had saved my healthy a's so ive had a good day today. i feel better cos now i know where im going wrong, i cant believe i didnt check the syn value of smoked mackerl i just presumed it would be free with being fish lol-live and learn

would the tinned mackerel still be ok in a pate do you think?
Lou - I'm sure it would. Although I love smoked mackerel, ordinary is my favourite. Slightly different taste of course but just as good.
Make sure it is in brine not oil as again there are syns - but not as many!:D

Well done on splitting dinner. I'm sure that will help.

We've all made silly mistakes - mine was making big bowls of pasta & veggie salad in syn free dressing for green days and snacking on that all day! I also wondered why I wasn't losing! :eek:

thanks pommette, your a star. i feel so much more motivated now i know where im going wrong. i also have made the mistake of snacking on past etc in the past, i also find tht too many muller lights stop my weight gain, along with too many bananas :/ i think the trap alot of us fall into when starting on sw is were told you can eat AS MUCH free food as you like, but theres more to it than that, and if you want to lose weight you need to just limit it to meal times, ive done sw for many years on and off and im still learning. i think the red and green days you can snack more on free foods but the extra easy works but you do have to be stricter in a lot of ways, but its better at meal times. im going to go and buy a lot of fruit today to snack on, it will cost me a fortune cos i dont like apples or oranges i like stuff like strawberries and nectarines etc. my friends mum lost alot on it in 6 months and she gave me a bit of a pep talk last night and said some thing to me that made total sense. i said that i think im kidding myself when eating something that its ok to eat when i know deep down it isnt, and she said 'i decided when i went that i was paying too much every week to not follow it properly, and i cut out alcohol and everything because i thought if im paying 5 pound a week i want it to work' and it just hit home, im spending a lot of money each week and to not follow it properly is so silly. so thats it now, no messing, no going into denial, i am going to really put 100% effort in. and that means im cutting out alcohol, unless its a special occasion, no drinking a bottle of wine (or 2) on a weekend and no take aways, no treat night, no eating something and not counting the syns, no more lying to myself. thanks so much for all of your advice it really has been a big help :) xxx

thanks pommette, your a star. i feel so much more motivated now i know where im going wrong. i also have made the mistake of snacking on past etc in the past, i also find tht too many muller lights stop my weight gain, along with too many bananas :/ i think the trap alot of us fall into when starting on sw is were told you can eat AS MUCH free food as you like, but theres more to it than that, and if you want to lose weight you need to just limit it to meal times, ive done sw for many years on and off and im still learning. i think the red and green days you can snack more on free foods but the extra easy works but you do have to be stricter in a lot of ways, but its better at meal times. im going to go and buy a lot of fruit today to snack on, it will cost me a fortune cos i dont like apples or oranges i like stuff like strawberries and nectarines etc. my friends mum lost alot on it in 6 months and she gave me a bit of a pep talk last night and said some thing to me that made total sense. i said that i think im kidding myself when eating something that its ok to eat when i know deep down it isnt, and she said 'i decided when i went that i was paying too much every week to not follow it properly, and i cut out alcohol and everything because i thought if im paying 5 pound a week i want it to work' and it just hit home, im spending a lot of money each week and to not follow it properly is so silly. so thats it now, no messing, no going into denial, i am going to really put 100% effort in. and that means im cutting out alcohol, unless its a special occasion, no drinking a bottle of wine (or 2) on a weekend and no take aways, no treat night, no eating something and not counting the syns, no more lying to myself. thanks so much for all of your advice it really has been a big help :) xxx

Wooo-hoooo!!!! Lou is back in the groove :D

Go Lou :party0049: go Lou :party0049: Go Lou :party0049:

Well, after falling off the wagon (4.5lbs off in two weeks!) normal service has been resumed!!

Just 0.5lb off this week!! :D Still at least it`s in the right direction!! :D

Does that mean I can come off the naughty step now? I`m getting a numb bum!! :D

Wooo-hoooo!!!! Lou is back in the groove :D

Go Lou :party0049: go Lou :party0049: Go Lou :party0049:
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOPEE from me too!

We can all do this, tortoise speed included. Well done chica!

Well, after falling off the wagon (4.5lbs off in two weeks!) normal service has been resumed!!

Just 0.5lb off this week!! :D Still at least it`s in the right direction!! :D

Does that mean I can come off the naughty step now? I`m getting a numb bum!! :D

you may return to normal duties (well done i know you feared the worst this week so its brilliant)

can i ask a daft question?? i had cereal and milk for brekkie....grapes and a banana mid morning....salad with prawns for lunch....if i were to have SW quiche with quorn ham and salad for tea am i on a red day or green day with prawns as a Hextra??

if i keep it as a red day i still have extra a and b to gorge on dont i ? or am i getting this very wrong?

can i ask a daft question?? i had cereal and milk for brekkie....grapes and a banana mid morning....salad with prawns for lunch....if i were to have SW quiche with quorn ham and salad for tea am i on a red day or green day with prawns as a Hextra??

if i keep it as a red day i still have extra a and b to gorge on dont i ? or am i getting this very wrong?

Sounds red to me......yep and you would have another A & B to go. There would be no point in having green unless you was gonna have lots of potato/pasta etc with your dinner.
Enjoy :)

Lost 1.5 lbs at WI - really NOT sure how that happened, guess it's the red days I've had instead of EE - thanks for the tips about that!

I'm really happy but am not going to get complacent as for the FIVE weeks before that I was losing 1/2lb each week so...! Think I'll stick to red days and see if I can keep it up!

Your support has really helped guys, I hope I can stick around here for a bit longer! :)

xxx

bought the tinned mackerel in brine and made it the same, hmmm....not as nice and quite sloppy hahaha, must be the fat making it thicker lol, but i put some red pepper in with it and am going to snack on that cos its definitely syn free isnt it?? i used 2 tins of mackerel in brine (drained) lemon juice, vinegar, red pepper and quark. i will just have a bit with some celery. and ive bought lots of fruit, so ill maybe opt for the fruit first then if im really peckish then go for the dip??? god i feel like ive never done this before hahaha.

p.s. sounds definitely like a red day to me too, enjoy your other hexa hexb xx

That mackerel dip sounds great ConLou - so glad you're now using non-smoked mackerel, I'm sure that will help you in the right direction for weight losses :)

Think I'm going to make a massive amount and have it on my 6 Ryvita Crackerbreads as a red day breakfast! :D

xx

That mackerel dip sounds great ConLou - so glad you're now using non-smoked mackerel, I'm sure that will help you in the right direction for weight losses :)

Think I'm going to make a massive amount and have it on my 6 Ryvita Crackerbreads as a red day breakfast! :D

xx

thanks hun, i thikn the mistake i made was i put too much quark in. i think next time ill blend the mackerel and lemon and vinegar first then add the quark a tiny bit at a time, cos its kinda lost the mackerel taste a bit. i had a look at the pack of 4 mackerl that ive been using and its 280g per pack and you get 4 in a pack so its 10 syns per pack, so i thought i could still make this but instead of eating the lot if i split it into 4 then thats only 2.5 syns per portion. its just soooooo more-ish!!! made a syn free beef curry was nice but missing something any tips greatly recieved i put in it

beef, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, 4 large tomatoes, 3 onions, half pack mushroom, red pepper, green beans, spinach, 2 oxo cubes, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, cardamon seeds, garam masala and half a large green chilli. but it just tasted a bit bland to me.... not sure how really. hubby said it was really nice so maybe its just my taste buds gone on strike haha-any ideas?

Back