The really slow loss team!

Brilliant to see so many people here! Slow losers might actually be the majority!
All the best with success ex GrannieAnnie! Let us know how you get on x

Hi Ladies,
Please can I join you? After an initial sucess, my weight loss has slumped to 1lb per week, which is so depressing.
I was actually not feeing too bad about it until I looked at my progress online... It seems like I won't reach my club 10 till after christmas now, I was hoping to do it by September originally and at a rate of 1lb per week it will take years to reach my target :(.

I did weight watchers years ago and they said 1lb a week was fine and healthy etc but seems so depressing when you have lots to lose:(:(

Have started doing zumba dvd everynight this week, hopefully that will bring some improvements to the wobbly bits which will make me feel better :D.

Welcome Claire - there's plenty of room for another one :)

If you have a look at the posts on here you will realise that you are far from alone! We all chug along, with an occasional woo-hoo at a rare 2lb loss, then back on the 1lb, 0.5lb, STS or even gains so we all understand how you feel :hug99:

Aww thanks Annya, that's very sweet of you!!

Am determined to make this week a good one!! Fingers crossed!

Welcome Claire and most importantly well done everyone on still being here! If I wasn't doing this I would be hitting 13 stone now, but instead I am in the tens. Just think where you could have been and how much better we feel for being on control. !

Well, I say control, I ate ribs and chips at the pub tonight, :-( it was yummy though and I did have a side salad :)

Another welcome from me Claire!

I was actually not feeing too bad about it until I looked at my progress online... It seems like I won't reach my club 10 till after christmas now, I was hoping to do it by September originally and at a rate of 1lb per week it will take years to reach my target :(.
If my calcs are correct you've got 8 or 9 lbs to go to Club 10 - so at a a pound a week that's mid-October!!! And the whole lot by end February!!!
SW online site sometimes does strange things with your progress chart, especially if you have a STS of even a tiny gain. It told me at the start of the year that it would take me 12 months to get to target, now it's saying I'll be there at the start of September !!! I don't think so!

Just plod on with us and YOU WILL GET THERE - maybe a bit slower than some others but healthily, controlled and sustainable for the long term.

Good Luck

Thanks all for the warm welcome... Have promised myself not to look at that chart thing on the website again. I do feel better, I have dropped one dress size which is fantastic.

To be honest, if I could fit into a size 12 I would be ecstatic, so not so much worried about the actual weight thing!!! Then can start saving for the miracle cure for the post baby jelly belly!!!

Spent the evening making chicken and rice soup, so no excuse for cheating over the next few days!

Night all. x

i have done sw 4 times now (i think) and each time i have 3 pound loss the first week then each week after that its gain sts or a pound, rarely 2. this time luckily i havent gained yet! but had 3 weeks of sts and last week only lost half a pound. so annoying when others lose in one week what takes me a month-if im lucky!!! nice to have people who are the same!! been to the gym tonight first time in over a week and snacked on some speed soup i had hanging around the freezer. im quite peckish again now though but im going to call it a night and go to bed...theres no fridge up there to tempt me lol

Woohoo welcome ladies - wow our little group is growing!!
Granny - I've done SE and FF so holler if you need any help. SE is pretty straight forward but as we were all laughing about in group this week, be prepared for lots of toilet runs! Lol
Well despite my no messing about determination life took over yesterday and I ended up having a shop bought sandwich crisps and an Indian takeaway but I'm going to face the music and put it on my diary for this week (my C has told me to do one lol cos I'm struggling to get back on plan) and I will behave now lol. 7lb 7lb 7lb

A completely unheard of 2lb loss for me this week - no doubt usual snail's pace service will resume next week!

A completely unheard of 2lb loss for me this week - no doubt usual snail's pace service will resume next week!
Congratulations :clap:

This is so encouraging! I have been doing so much exercise too and weight is going up! Ha ha. I hear that my body shape will change and I will be shrinking and then back to weight loss. I know it is good for me, it's just hard not seeing the loss!

Keep going everyone, our hearts and lungs thank us! :)

Did you here when your weightloss would continue back down? I feel like I'm doing my exercise but I don't know if I can handle staying the same this week. My BMI is right on the cusp, I just want the darn thing DOWN!! It's been almost a month of this :(

Hi everyone!
Thanks for the support for SE. Doing ok so far ( apart from the extra visits to the loo!) Gonna be doing it again today but the weekend looks doubtful. Will pick it up again for the beginning of next week until my WI on Weds.
Got a BBQ Saturday which shouldn`t be too bad. The hosts are pretty healthy (apart from the booze!)
Grandson`s birthday Sunday, that`s gonna be the tricky one. My son`s partner doesn`t know the meaning of healthy eating. Her last one had loads of sweets, cake and chocs! The nearest to healthy was a cheese n onion flan. She`s not the sort of girl you can have a quiet word with about her food choices and would take offence if I brought my own.
Looks like I`ll have to eat before I go and just nibble at whatever is there. (here`s hoping!)

Hi RR, I think it depends on what you are doing. Weight stuff adds more muscle more quickly. I am no expert though but I think a couple of weeks for it to settle? Interestingly I read that top athletes weigh loads!!
X

Well done Annya, that's fantastic!!!

Pomette, thanks for your comment, made me feel much better to look at it like that!

Today is day 5 of Zumba at home, so see if that makes any diference.

What is SE and the other thing?

Hi RR, I think it depends on what you are doing. Weight stuff adds more muscle more quickly. I am no expert though but I think a couple of weeks for it to settle? Interestingly I read that top athletes weigh loads!!
X
This is a really tricky question to answer, but I'll try and explain some basics (I trained as a PE teacher and did lots of sports psychology and anatomy).

Muscle only weighs 18% more for the same MASS/VOLUME of fat. I'm sad to say that a few weeks of exercise or even weight training will NOT convert lots of fat to muscle or put on weight. It takes several MONTHS of specific exercise do do this.

Yes, athletes can't use BMI as a measure of their body fat as it will probably class most Olympians obese - especially field eventers, boxers, wrestlers etc - all people who use weight training to build the muscle for their event. But on any good BMI sites it does state that this measuremnt is not suitable for athletes etc for the reason above.

But also remember that long distance runners can end up being down in the UNDERWEIGHT category. Look at Paula Radcliffe! All skin and bone, no bulgy muscles just highly trained and a natural build for a long distance runner.

So sorry to say that unless you are doing SERIOUS exercise of 5 or 6 hours a day then this is not to blame for a STS or gain.

2 questions. Are you:
a) drinking enough after your exercise? If you're running / exercising for 1 hour you need to get at least 2 pints of water back inside you within the next hour, on top of what you may have drunk whilst exercising.
b) getting calories back inside you immediately after you exercise? Your body burns more calories after exercise than it does whilst you are exercising (don't ask - I don't actually understand why) and it does it for about another 24-36 hours. If you aren't eating enough immediatiately after exercising then your body will go into semi-starvation mode and actually grab calories for the next few days and not let go of them!! Hence you will not lose weight.

Diet and exercise is a VERY complicated subject and one which I find fascinating so yell if you want any more info. Pommette's guide to weight loss and exercise could be mad available!!! LOL

Pommette that's brilliant!! For me it's really the exercise which is getting me confused as I never know really how much I'm burning and so I stick to eating the same amount everyday. At the moment I'm eating around 1350-1400 calories a day, but I'm running for 30 min, or swimming for 45min -1h, or doing ashtanga yoga everyday. I bike 20min to work each night as well (6days out of 7). I don't really change what I eat dependent on what I do, because I never really can tell how much I have burned and am freaked out to over eat. I have a feeling that as I have increased my run times in July but not increased my eating my losses have stalled, but I'm not sure if it was due to not eating enough or just adding muscle. Your description is really helpful as I have found it harder to get the diet plus the exercise advice in deeper description. Should I be eating more than according to the above?

Hi RasberryRed
You don't need to be eating huge quantities of extra food - but something immediately after exercise that it naturally high in sugar in good.
A banana is THE classic. Look at how the tennis players guzzle them down.
They give an immediate hit of sucrose and replace the potassium which your muscles used during the exercise. But you need to be careful of your potassium intake if you have high blood pressure.

Exercise actually doesn't use that many calories unfortunately. 1½ hours of walking at a fairly good pace only uses 160 kcals!! BUT it tones the muscles and makes you look slimmer!

So keep it up - especially the swimming as that is THE best all round exercise there is. No stress on joints and provided you don't just "pootle" along it's great cardio exercise.

PS you say your diet is FWDGF. What on earth is that - got me completely flummoxed.

Thanks pommette! Sorry if I have lead anyone astray, I guess I was reading and hearing the wrong things!!

I drink masses, have a litre in the couple of hours before, drink a litre during and then another one sipped over the hour afterwards. I am doing about an hour, half cardio, a bit of strength. Hm. Bit gutted I can't blame muscle. Another lb seems to be on this week!

I do eat afterwards , but bananas make me blocked up so I either have home made veg soup or go straight to lunch. Something with pasta, potato and rice with salad or veg. I am pretty sure I am eating enough but it's hard to know since we are not calorie counting!!

Ho hum, keep calm and carry on I guess!!
Thanks for the advice
X

Back