The really slow loss team!

Morning ladies,

Well I've done it again. I weighed myself again this morning, I don't know why as it messes with my head. Yet again it read a 2lb gain for no reason, its time of the month but I've stuck with my exercise so I have to ignore it until WI Wednesday, I don't know why I weighed in, hoped maybe it would be a teeny bit less I guess. I'm aiming to have 10syns a day but I've been starving in the evenings even though I've had a decent meal. From today I'm really going to stick at 10syns.

Lou - when you make things like pasta, couscous & noodles how much do you cook? I've been weighing mine so I don't have too much but I'm going with the recommened amount on the packs but maybe that's too little (if I'm hungry later) or too much as I don't know what's right to have! I cant calorie count as I become obssessed but in the past someone recommended mixing low GI with SW. I'm working so hard & at most I'm losing 1lb so maybe I need to really change my food....

LisaC said:
Morning ladies,

Well I've done it again. I weighed myself again this morning, I don't know why as it messes with my head. Yet again it read a 2lb gain for no reason, its time of the month but I've stuck with my exercise so I have to ignore it until WI Wednesday, I don't know why I weighed in, hoped maybe it would be a teeny bit less I guess. I'm aiming to have 10syns a day but I've been starving in the evenings even though I've had a decent meal. From today I'm really going to stick at 10syns.

Lou - when you make things like pasta, couscous & noodles how much do you cook? I've been weighing mine so I don't have too much but I'm going with the recommened amount on the packs but maybe that's too little (if I'm hungry later) or too much as I don't know what's right to have! I cant calorie count as I become obssessed but in the past someone recommended mixing low GI with SW. I'm working so hard & at most I'm losing 1lb so maybe I need to really change my food....

I do between 50 and 75 grams dried pasta uncooked but tbh I only have it twice a week, I'm not having much potato and eat rice maybe once a month. I try not to have many carbs cos it makes me gain. Hope you don't think I'm being nosey or anything but when you say your hungry after a decent meal....are you really hungry? Or is it boredom, cos your fed up etc? I was thinking I was sooooo hungry on a night so therefore must eat but I've since discovered just because your hungry doesn't mean you should eat. Real hunger doesn't come on suddenly and won't stay it comes in waves and if your hungry within 3 hours of eating a meal it's not real hunger hun. I have set myself boundaries. Even if I feel hungry if I've had my cals for the day... Normally in the form of 3 healthy meals and a nice treat snack then that's it. I don't NEED to eat anymore I'm just fancying something and just cos I WANT to eat doesn't mean I should. Would it be something you could do? Perhaps plan your meals in a morning for the day, keep the portions small and and stop when your full even if that means throwing food away. Don't make snacking an option, don't agonise over whether you can have that treat or not- just decide you can't have it and distract yourself. It really honestly works, taking the option away stops the cravings its weird. And I PROMISE after a few days of doing this you will feel much more in control. It is mind over matter hun, just decide.....what do you want more? To lose weight and be the size you dream of or to eat that chocolate/bag of crisps/takeaway? Only you can stop yourself snacking Hun and I know it's really really hard I was so bad for it I would eat literally from 7pm until 11.30 but tell myself cos it was free food it was ok..... 5 boiled eggs, pasta and fruit is really not ok after my meals (these were my regular snacks) and added up were probably an extra 500 calories if not more in food that I didn't really need. Hunger isn't an emergency and it will pass, be firm with yourself and don't feel sorry for yourself cos you can't have the treats you want (I used to feel like this ALOT) it's just the way it has to be if you want to lose weight and keep reminding yourself why your dieting, maybe a list of reasons why you want to lose weight and a picture of something inspirational would help. Try the beck diet solution, this has been the turning point for me, it's no nonsense chat about dieting and tbh it was what I needed. It's cheap on amazon and since reading it I've lost 6 pound-in 4 weeks. I'm not following the plan just reading it was enough x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks so much Lou that was all REALLT useful info!! I've always been a snacked but since SW I snack only on Superfree or syns if I want something particular. I definitely used to snack because I was bored but SW helped adjust my thinking to that. I'm very aware of what I eat so I'm not someone to sit down to watch a film & before I know it have munched through a bag of something, I'm too much of a control freak to do that!! Lol. Last night I made a pasta bake using 75g dried whole meal pasta, quorn chicken style pieces, 2 onions, some pepper & 2 small toms. It's my fav comfort food meal but exactly 1 hour after eating my stomach was rumbling!! I make sure I eat enough at dinner & have a drink later but I can't work out what my stomachs rumbling. I think that because I used to snack out of boredom I tend to know when I'm hungry & when I just 'want' something but recently I seem more hungry than I should be. I know that I have to watch y carbs too, but I have around 50% Superfree & if I was to up that it would just be too much, plus I can't keep buying that much just for one meal.

With my evening meal I eat pasta once a week, if that. I'll have one cup of couscous with quorn & veg. Noodles once a week, I tend to use 1.5 to 2 of the amounts you get in the egg noodle packs. I really don't think I eat too many carbs so I can't see reducing that would help my lose, it could be I'm not eating enough...but I don't want to risk experimenting there in case I have a gain! Ive popped out today & my jeans are tight, even though I'm doing my Jillian workouts so much. I'm getting fed up, although it is TOTM & maybe that's why my jeans feel tight. That doesn't usually effect me.

Could it be your more hungry cos your exercising more. My tummy rumbles sometimes and I think it's hunger but I think sometimes it can be wind or indigestion. I know when I have tummy ache that makes me want to eat more, I think cos I'm aware more of my tummy. It's weird. Those meals don't sound to me like your eating too much 75g of pasta isn't loads. Maybe have a pint if water before your tea then only eat half then save the other half for later? So your not eating more but your satisfying that hungry feeling if you know what I mean. My tummy sometimes rumbles on a night but I am learning to ignore it and my tummy will eventually shrink. Like I say judy cos you feel hungry doesn't mean you should eat, and real hunger does go off, it's not constant. If I'm having a particularly hard day and am struggling I'll just go out for a walk and after being our for 5 minutes I forget I'm hungry and it stops me snacking. I think we're taught that if your hungry eat, which is wrong. If I ate every time I was hungry I would be a good 5 stone more than I am now. When I was little we had 3 meals a day and no unlimited snacks you had an occasional treat and none of us had weight issues. The problem came when I had access to food all the time and I gorged cos it was a novelty. I'm trying to retrain my brain. Superfree snacking is ok but remember they all have calorie content and if your snacking on bananas or other fruit that's high in cals it's going to add up. X

Yeah I totally agree. It's trying to differentiate between whether or not you need to eat. I snack on apples & satsumas in the day but some days I can eat 5 apples & although it's good I'm choosing Superfree those calories all add up. The last couple of days I've had my full 15syns even though I tried to stick to 10. I feel rubbish today with my tummy pain but I popped out this afternoon & because I didn't have syns at my fingertips I've not actually had any today!! I definitely need to keep myself busier do that if I feel peckish I won't necessarily notice it. I bought a book a while back about the Low GL diet (next one on from Low GI) & taking the carbs into account would help with me, I may try to incorporate that with calorie counting & SW, boy that will be tough! I just need to find a balance as to how much of what my body I'll take & still let me lose weight. I'll be gutted if I don't lose next week, I should have this week, I'm hoping the gain on the scales this morning was down to it being star week & may balance in a few days.

It's different tricks for different people. One diet doesn't suit all and when you strip it all back to basics the crux of losing weight is eat less move more, in truth all these different diet groups are just gimmicks dressing it up in different ways with points and syns etc so we don't feel so bored with it, and for many people that works but for some it doesn't. And for me personally I've realised about myself I have to be very strict and not allow myself to go there, cos once I give myself that permission to eat as much free food as I like I won't stop. I plan my meals aswell so im not thinking about what food I can and can't have all day, this way I know what I'm eating and when it's eaten it's eaten there's no more. For now it's helping me, but I know to other people that is their idea of hell lol. It's a personal thing and like I say different tricks work for different people. If this stops working for me I'll look for something else, I refuse to give up and that's all any of us can do is plod on and all the little bursts of losses will get us to target eventually.

Yeah I get you, I'm pretty good when it comes to free food. I only tend to eat it in meals & never eat til I'm completely full. Ages ago I downloaded a calorie counting app on my iPhone, I've logged food today & I've had around 1380 so far which includes an apple, yogurt & curly wurly on top of my 3 meals. I've also burned 130 in exercise. The app says I should have 1800 a day so I guess what I've had is good as I'm well under so far. Maybe I'll keep tabs on it, I write my own food diary everyday anyway to look back on. I just hate trial & error as before you know it, it's been another month with a only a teeny loss (if any) to show for it. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment as my body isn't reflecting my hard work. I thought that if my weighed doesn't go down my body will change from the exercise but with my jeans being tight today...it just feels rubbish & I feel like it won't pay off. Good job I like exercise or is definitely throw in the towel!

I have 1200 a day if I had more every day I wouldnt lose. Today I'm having an over cal day but tomorrow I'll bd back on it. You don't want to be aiming for more than an average of 1500 a day and that will only give u a pound loss. For more u need to Aim for 1200 a day cx
PLEASE NEVER SAY ONLY A POUND A WEEK.
This is a great way to lose weight - it's a nice a steady loss and is easy to stick to as you do not have to starve yourself.
Seeing a pound a week go is far better for your morale than big ups and downs
It is also the best for maintenance of keeping it off! :D as you do not have to "adjust" your intake so much when you get to target.
You have already re-educated your appetite (hopefully)

AND YOU MUST NOT GO BELOW 1200 WITHOUT DOCTORS AGREEMENT AND SUPERVISION.
It is not good for your health and will push your body into starvation mode where it will hang onto every little calorie you give it - and you may even gain weight.

The number of calories required to lose weight is all dependant upon your original starting weight.
Take your weight in pounds and multiply by 12.
This gives defines the number required to maintain your body weight.
If you deduct 500 per day you will then have a 1lb a week loss.

So for example if you start at 12 stone = 168 lbs. 168 * 12 = 2016 calories a day required to stay at this weight.
Deduct 500 = 1516 required to lose 1 lb a week.

Over the first 12 months of my journey I reckon I ate roughly 1500 - 1750 a day. To start with (when I was 16½ st) this gave me a few big losses but mostly I lost steadily at less than 1 lb a week. I too have hormonal problems that interfere with quick weight loss.

BUT I kept the 2 st off for 3 years

When I re-commenced last year at a mere 14½ st I still stuck to the same diet and I've lost on average 0.6 lb a week.
I got to target - and I'm still there (ish) because I've not had to readjust my diet drastically - I just allow myself the odd treat.
And If I go too far over target (like I did 3 weeks ago) I have a week hard back on plan and get it off as fast I can.
Still trying to get rid of the excess at the mo but I know it will go if I have around 1500 cals.

From one tortoise to another . . .
I know it's a pain seeing all the people at class lose big amounts - but it really is better to lose it slowly chicas.
You just have to stick to to plan and accept that if you cheat - even for a day - you probably won't lose.

Last edited:
I don't think I could ever eat less than 1200, last night my total was 1440, I just know I need a few snacks in the day, which is usually fruit anyway. Plus i know SW too well & don't think I can ever turn away from the principles so I'd want my syns, even just the recommended minimum of 5.

I've always said that if I lost 1lb a week I'd be happy as it would be consistent, but that's my problem im never consistent. Right now I'm still trying to work off that 8.5lb gain I had weeks ago! It's been almost 5weeks since then & I've lost 4.5lb of it so far & can honestly say I've never worked so hard, really thought it would have come off by now. At least it encourages me to totally stick to plan :)

. . . Right now I'm still trying to work off that 8.5lb gain I had weeks ago! It's been almost 5weeks since then & I've lost 4.5lb of it so far & can honestly say I've never worked so hard, really thought it would have come off by now. At least it encourages me to totally stick to plan :)
4.5lb in 5 weeks is ALMOST a pound a week chica.
I know it's a bit depressing to think it'll take a while to get rid of the gain but it is going - albeit slowly.
Stick to plan and it will work.

Are you drinking enough water? 2L

Morning ladies,

4.5lb in 5 weeks is ALMOST a pound a week chica.
I know it's a bit depressing to think it'll take a while to get rid of the gain but it is going - albeit slowly.
Stick to plan and it will work.

I know, it's just that 8.5 went on in one week so I thought if I put the effort in it would come off in a few weeks. That's why I was upset I STS this week :(

Are you drinking enough water? 2L

In honesty no, my bladder is ridiculous & no matter what I drink when I try to increase it my bladder doesn't get used to it, even after weeks. How does drinking a good amount of water affect your weightloss? I know it's good for your body anyway but can it have effects on your weight?

Absolutely it helps to flush out all the toxins, and some studies show that it can help in the removal of broken down fat from the body. It also fills you up so you don't eat so much - often your just thirsty when you think your hungry. I probably drink too much water I end up having 4-5 L a day normally. The bladder thing I just got used to I have to pee every half hour but I've adjusted to that it doesnt bother me, if learned to ignore it when I need to.

In honesty no, my bladder is ridiculous & no matter what I drink when I try to increase it my bladder doesn't get used to it, even after weeks. How does drinking a good amount of water affect your weightloss? I know it's good for your body anyway but can it have effects on your weight?

I knew it was important but I didn't know that, it's good to know. I will try to work on it but I really can't tell you how bad my bladder is, it's ridiculous & when it affects work (having to leave my desk every 20mins for the loo) I just can't keep it up.

I apologise for saying only a pound I didn't actually mean it in that context, I was referring to the 500 a day deficit only equals to a pound a week and I meant it didn't seem like much for such a drop in calories, so anyone expecting to lose more and feeling disappointed with a pound loss would have to reduce it to 1200, defo no lower tbh I do 1200 maybe 3 or 4 out of 7 days then the rest of the days I'll have around 2000 sometimes more sometimes less but it tends to average at 1500 a week I would say. Anyone just to clarify I am absolutely not taking credit away from anyone who loses a pound or even half a pound if I had lost at a rate of a pound a week I would have hit target by now and I'll be over the moon if I can average out at a pound a week
Cos that would put me at pre pregnancy weight in a mere 9 weeks EEEK that's exciting!!! I apologise though it didn't read well. *slaps wrist ;)

Well I've been for a marathon walk today I'm exhausted. I slept through breakfast but that means I can have a bigger tea :) I never skip breakfast and I must say I feel more tired than
Usual. Hope u all had a nice weekend x

Not to worry Lou. Ive said it before, that's I've only lost 1lb. A loss is a loss & it's great, but when most SW'ers lose 1-2 a week & we sometimes lose 1 a month it can seem like 'only'. At least we all know we really deserve our loss when we get one based on how extra hard we have to work.

So I've tracked my calories today, I've had 3 meals plus strawberries & some yogurt. I've had just under 1200calories but I burned 500 in exercise so I'm well under today!! I definitely need to eat more today, I'm wondering if days where I workout I'm under eating...!!

Well done on your walk Lou, I've taken your advice & done some walking myself. I did it after my Jillian workout so my heart rate was still up so I burnt tons more cals :)

I find I lose more from walking than any other exercise. My calf muscles are killing from all the walking I'm doing lol. Tbh I don't count my exercise I just control my cals cos MFP seriously over estimates cals burnt so if I do exercise (and I only walk as exercise) its just a bonus. U could be under eating if your doing heavy exercise, JM is pretty tough going and if your not drinking water but are exercising like a mad woman you'll be seriously retaining fluid. This week try drinking 4 pints a day, you'll pee more but I guarantee you'll feel slimmer and feel healthier, less tired etc. also you said your hungry all the time.... I will put money on the fact it's not hunger it's probably thirst. It's a common mistake to think your hungry when u are in fact thirsty. Every time u fancy a snack have a drink and wait 20 mins I bet 9 times out of 10 your craving diminishes x

Back