The really slow loss team!

i dont have the same amount each day either, some days more some less, cos thats life isnt it...your not always really hungry each day and thats what we need to realise that we dont HAVE to eat certain foods every day, to make sure we get our amount, when i was younger, before i had weight issues, id naturally eat more on the days i was hungry then the days i wasnt really hungry id automatically eat less. it was a naturaly thing and i never had a weight problem, the problem came when i was eating for the sake of eating and i think some diets do actually encourage this in some ways...like making sure you eat this amount of a certain food and that amount of another food, for me personally got me into eating for the sake of eating cos i felt i had to cram it in, i think working with the natural rhythm of your body and figuring out when your actually hungry and when your not can only be a good thing. i think eating for the sake of eating is the worst trap many if not most people fall into, its a bloody hard habit to break too. i just keep sayiong to myself over and over that it is only food, it shouldnt be this much of an issue and it stops it seeming like such a big deal in my head if that makes sense?

I am (loosley) working on calorie cycling too just now - trying to keep my crappy metabolism on it's toes! Some days my intake is quite high and other quite low, but always at or below my daily goal which changes daily according to my exercise levels anyway. I never eat high or low of more than 2 days without a switch.

No scales to check (thankfully judging from the major carb bloat this morning!) so I won't know how it is going until Friday...... will report back in then :)

i just keep sayiong to myself over and over that it is only food, it shouldnt be this much of an issue and it stops it seeming like such a big deal in my head if that makes sense?

A friend of mine, who had a serious weight problem for years but has now lost and maintained for several years (respect!), has a mantra......

"I eat to live, not live to eat"

Makes sense to me and I try and remember it when I know I am scoffing something just for the sake of it. I am not saying that there is anything wrong in having a treat, I still eat plenty of "naughty" foods, but I try not to eat a meal just because it is tea time/lunch time/dinner time and also try not to eat because I am bored or stressed (two of my MAJOR triggers!).

Bascially my friend's mantra says eat to keep you healthy and strong not to feed your psyche as well as your body.

I agree with you Lou, I think a lot of diet plansactually encourage subconscious over-eating.... but they are in it to make money at the end of the day and they rely on folks losing weight then putting it back on so they have to keep coming back to the "diet family" to lose it again - we are all being brainwashed by the dieting industry one way or another.

Christ, sorry I am being both philosiphical and cynical this morning ;)

id never even heard of calorie cycling til a few weeks ago, but theres definitely something in it isnt there?

As you say Lou, I think when we are children/young adults we naturally cycle calories, but when we grow up and society's influences take over that is when the trouble starts.

Blimey - I am on my Freudisms this morning ;)

great post annya, tried to rep you but it seems ive repped you lots lol, i totally agree with what you say about diet clubs etc...they are a money making business, this is why i do it from home. yes they do work, but i think for many you do put the weight back on or it becomes a real battle. i love the recipes etc on sw and it did work for me for a long time, but i did keep regaining the weight. my friend does sw, shes regained all the weight several times, and i know hundreds of people who do ww and as soon as they hit target start eating 'normally' and pile it back on and more. theres pros and cons to any 'diet' you do and im not discrediting any diet plan as i wouldnt be where i am now, 3 stone down if it werent for sw and thats a fact....but i honestly hand on heart couldnt follow sw for life, theres too many foods that you cant eat and i dont want to cc, sw or ww all my life, i just want to eat in a normal way thats automatic that doesnt make me put weight on, which means healthy and in moderation. and your so right, i love that-eat to live, dont live to eat. im gonna start saying it all the time now hahaha ;)

Is calorie cycling calorie counting??

Calorie cycling is basically having days where you eat more calories, days where you eat less calories and days where you eat target calories, but your overall weekly consumption comes in at your weekly goal +/-a few.

It has it's advantages in that

1) you can have a "bad day" (oh, I hate that term!) here and there and not have a nervous breakdown about it
2) you can eat fewer calories on days where you are just not that hungry and not have a nervous breakdown about it a
3) it supposedly confuses your metabolism as you don't always eat the same number of calories the body doesn't hang on to your fat reserves as readily as if you were eating the same old deficit day in and day out.

Please feel free to jump in anyone and explain a bit more clearly if I am being obtuse here.... that's just how I see it!

Calorie cycling is basically having days where you eat more calories, days where you eat less calories and days where you eat target calories, but your overall weekly consumption comes in at your weekly goal +/-a few.

It has it's advantages in that

1) you can have a "bad day" (oh, I hate that term!) here and there and not have a nervous breakdown about it
2) you can eat fewer calories on days where you are just not that hungry and not have a nervous breakdown about it a
3) it supposedly confuses your metabolism as you don't always eat the same number of calories the body doesn't hang on to your fat reserves as readily as if you were eating the same old deficit day in and day out.

Please feel free to jump in anyone and explain a bit more clearly if I am being obtuse here.... that's just how I see it!

Oh good, this sounds like exactly what I do! I have to always trick my metabolism.

Morning everyone :)

So I've mentioned in the past that my old C used to suggest (recommend!) to me that I have a day/night off SW every now & then on WI day to kickstart my metabolism, I had to do this as my body got stuck in a rut literaly within days, it was weird. Anyway yesterday I had planned to have some carrot cake that I'd put in the freezer so I knew it was going to be one of those days where I don't syn, the only problem was I got totally carried away & went above & beyond what I wanted & ate the cake plus LOTS of bits!! I'm hoping I can pull it back, if next WI isn't great I'll know why & that's ok. My C's advice got me in the routine of cheating every few weeks on WI day & it really was hard to break, & sometimes I think I just need to do it as I never ever cheat over the weekend or anything. The good thing is its a whole week away from WI.

So I woke up this morning feeling really refreshed, I am a morning person anyway but I'm at work & I just feel a bit happier, I feel like I'm sitting straighter & holding my head up high. Almost like my confidence has literally gone up a bit. I can't explain it, but it's a really nice feeling :) The last two weeks could have been a blip but I feel a bit peaceful that I may have found what works for me, my balance. I don't know, I guess it's just making me feel good on the inside which I'm trying to relfect on the outside.

So this weekend I want to try a vegetable dish but really need some ideas. Last weekend I made the curry (bns, onion, toms, chickpeas) & it was lovely so I wanted to try more. I have bns, parsnips, carrots, peppers, toms. Should I make a stew or something?? I really would like another dish that's veg only but still filling, low/no carb basically.

Ah Lisa you sound so positive, it's really nice to hear after you felt so meh about your plan not long ago. Must be really nice feeling like its all clicked. That's the thing with diets isn't it, they need tweaking sometimes and working out exactly what your body needs/wants for it to work well.

Loving the positive vibes :)

My slim and save box came today, pretty daunting knowing your weeks worth of food is in pretty small box! But it's only 4 weeks, so hopefully I'll see some good results.

Had a bit of a binge today though, something pretty awful happened last night and today I just turned to food, haven't done that for a while. Added all my cals up though and still ok, 1900 for the day which means I wouldn't lose but haven't gone over by crazy amounts and only had 1100 yesterday so balances out well.

Feeling quite low still today and pretty sad about the things going on, just going to do a big house clean and take my mind of it xxx

Ah Lisa you sound so positive, it's really nice to hear after you felt so meh about your plan not long ago. Must be really nice feeling like its all clicked. That's the thing with diets isn't it, they need tweaking sometimes and working out exactly what your body needs/wants for it to work well.

Loving the positive vibes :)

My slim and save box came today, pretty daunting knowing your weeks worth of food is in pretty small box! But it's only 4 weeks, so hopefully I'll see some good results.

Had a bit of a binge today though, something pretty awful happened last night and today I just turned to food, haven't done that for a while. Added all my cals up though and still ok, 1900 for the day which means I wouldn't lose but haven't gone over by crazy amounts and only had 1100 yesterday so balances out well.

Feeling quite low still today and pretty sad about the things going on, just going to do a big house clean and take my mind of it xxx

Charl I am really sorry for you! I sincerely hope things are indeed better today!

So, a small "mother visit" update: mostly well up to now. She's already re-arranged the fridge...twice! She was nagging me about owning a microwave (she thinks they are unhealthy), but that stopped after a while since she saw I was ignoring the nagging and using it anyway.
She was watching me make breakfast this morning, and there was nagging for 2 things: 1. that I was using a tupperware to put warm stuff in (my oatmeal) and 2. that I was using a dash of sweetener for my strawberries! Apparently sweetener is bad for your kidneys....! I don't know where she hears these things!

Anyway, other than that good. She still hasn't really asked about SW and how it works etc, but she was eyeing me with doubt last night when I was eating a corn for dinner!

tryingtolose said:
So, a small "mother visit" update: mostly well up to now. She's already re-arranged the fridge...twice! She was nagging me about owning a microwave (she thinks they are unhealthy), but that stopped after a while since she saw I was ignoring the nagging and using it anyway.
She was watching me make breakfast this morning, and there was nagging for 2 things: 1. that I was using a tupperware to put warm stuff in (my oatmeal) and 2. that I was using a dash of sweetener for my strawberries! Apparently sweetener is bad for your kidneys....! I don't know where she hears these things!

Anyway, other than that good. She still hasn't really asked about SW and how it works etc, but she was eyeing me with doubt last night when I was eating a corn for dinner!

Oh god what a nightmare!!!!! Lol. Hope she eases off on you soon

Oh god what a nightmare!!!!! Lol. Hope she eases off on you soon

Oh, that's not going to happen any time soon! In her eyes, nagging is her way of showing that she cares! But at 7:15 in the morning when you are tired, have cut back on coffee and have to leave for work...it's not exactly welcoming! But I will survive! I survived 25 years of living at home! I will be damned if I don't survive a 3 week visit!

Another 1.4lbs off for me this week. I came off my HRT 3 weeks ago (and I am not TOO bad so far!) and wonder if this could explain my sudden spate of reasonable losses? Who knows, who cares - it is coming off!

Off to a wedding in Harrogate today so I won't be around until Sunday evening - good luck girlies...we can do this :)

Tryingtolose - repeat after me.... it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks............... :D

Another 1.4lbs off for me this week. I came off my HRT 3 weeks ago (and I am not TOO bad so far!) and wonder if this could explain my sudden spate of reasonable losses? Who knows, who cares - it is coming off!

Off to a wedding in Harrogate today so I won't be around until Sunday evening - good luck girlies...we can do this :)

Tryingtolose - repeat after me.... it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks, it's only 3 weeks............... :D

I think I'd rather do it like this: 15 days + 1...!

Back