The really slow loss team!

Pommette said:
Nuts are high in calories because of the natural oil/fat content.
The way they check calorie content it to burn ALL the food in a bomb calorimeter and see what energy is output - i.e. how many calories. So because of the hight oil/fat content they burn extremely well. Mind you, the nut itself is high in calories too.
You digest all the oil/fat so this is not that good for you.

BUT . . .
Have you ever checked your **ahem** pooh after you've eaten them?
About half come straight out the other end totally undigested.
TMI I know but it does actually mean that you are only digesting the fat content and not the nut itself so you are only actually consuming about 60-70% of the calories.

Stop reading this post now if you don't want to hear my husband's favourite saying . . .

4 pints of Pedigree bitter and a packet of peanuts and you can pebble dash the bog!

Don't blame me - talk to him . . . he has a very weird sense of humour.

Hahaha your right though AND sesame seeds do the same.

ha! I always think seeded bread is pointless for that reason! It costs double and u poop them all out! x

I am back!!! Been here before:eek:. My weight loss naturally back to slow (after my first good week) since re joining after 10 months away from SW since my Mum died! I know I should stay positive!!! This time my daughter is on SW too so that helps: it's a great support!

well my 2nd day on sw is going well, i feel like im eating loads and a bit worried that im going to have a gain as my body is used to eating very little portions, but my binging was getting out of control on a weekend so i was levelling out, hopefully because im eating healthier foods and more consistently ill have a loss, ill be happy with 2 pounds off for my first week. feeling better in my self today too, and been for a nice long walk with the kids today.

Lou - well done chica. Consisitent eating is what it's all about. It's not good to eat nowt duing the week and binge at the weekend.
Just remember to watch the portion sizes too hun. This is what many people trip over on as I know you are aware.
Yes chicken is free on red days - but not a whole one at a time.
Wish wine came into that category :8855:

Pommette said:
Lou - well done chica. Consisitent eating is what it's all about. It's not good to eat nowt duing the week and binge at the weekend.
Just remember to watch the portion sizes too hun. This is what many people trip over on as I know you are aware.
Yes chicken is free on red days - but not a whole one at a time.
Wish wine came into that category :8855:

Hahaha yes I am really trying to still be mindful if portions cos this is definitely where I messed up
Before which is why I chose to do cc, cos I knew my portions were too big. I kinda feel armed more now I know how easy it is to over eat under the assumption it's free lol. Oh wine as a free food?? We can dream!!!! Mind you I'm off heavy drinking forever hopefully. Booze is my weakness and I don't know when to stop and I make an arse of myself then feel depressed for days. It's not good. Then cos I feel down and hungover I reach for the takeaway menu. Not good. So I'm trying to be more of a moderation gal ;)
Are you having a good week? What days does everyone weigh in on again I've forgotten x

. . . Are you having a good week? What days does everyone weigh in on again I've forgotten x
I WAS having a good week - been trying since last Wednesday to get rid of the carb bloat and excesses of the 3 day trip to Barça.

I had chocolate-gate though last night!

Food at meal times good and no snacking in between but . . .
We won a packet of chocolate caramel digestives and some millionaires shortbreads on Wednesday for winning 2 of the rounds at the quiz.
I normally leave these to hubs to eat but he opened them last night to eat as a pud after dinner and I couldn't resist.
What is it with me? I'm really not a chocky or biscuit eater but as soon as they are in the house I feel a compulsion to attack them.
Having seen the scales drop for the last few days they are now back where they were on Monday today :cry:

We've got friends arriving on Sunday too so I know next week is not going to be perfect!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr . . . get a grip Bev.

PS I WI on Monday so I've got 3 days to be good before it all goes to rat sh** next week :8855:

Weigh in for me today Lou and do you remember than pound I lost last week? Well I found it again plus nearly another one - 1.8lbs ON for me this week despite being under my calorie goal for 6 out of 7 days - ****** I hate this time of year :cry: :cry: :cry:

:( it's hard isn't it? I had a sma dice of pizza last night. I said no 4 times then was told oh just try it, so I had a tiny bite and was told off saying well I'm not gonna eat the rest of your slice so you have to eat it. I then felt guilty for wasting food so ate most of it, but now feel mad that I didn't stand my ground. Grr. So I know how you feel Pom, once we give in to temptation it's hard to stop isn't it?

Annya :( I'm really sorry your going through a tough time, you know why but I wouldn't imagine that makes it any easier when you see unexplained gains. Big hug xx

Big Hugs from me too Annya. :hug99: Just try and stick to plan and not stray too much.
I know you'll probably still gain as the Winter isn't nice for you with all those steroids.

Lou - why can't our friends and family just accept that when we say no we really mean it?
We were out last Friday for a meal with friends and when I said no to a pud one of the ladies said "go on, have some, you've stopped dieting now"
I nearly spat back a nasty retort at her until hubs kicked me on the ankle under the table and changed the converstion.

She was the one who said in March 2011 "Oh you'll put it all back on again so I don't know why you are even bothering".
But when she got to 6 or 7 stone overweight she asked me for help.
I gave her an old SW book and my 1 page "crib sheet" and we talked for ages about it. I gave her lots of support and she lost about 1½ stone.
She's put it all back on again though as she gets no support from her hubby who is a real pain in the bum.

Grrrrrrrr

I'm with you Pom. My week started well & went to pot Wednesday night! I'm struggling so much & even knowing the weight will only come back on doesn't seem to be getting my head back in the game. I'm sure I need a food few days on plan & ill be back in routine. It's totm now & that makes me want to give in & eat naughty food but I'm trying so hard today.

Lou sounds like getting back on SW has been what you need. Keep at it hun. I'm sure you'll get that loss. How is your little girl doing? I've been meaning to ask.

The last few weeks I've made soup over the weekend & I've just bought a soup maker (the one advertised in the new SW magazine). It says you chuck it all in & it'll be ready in 25 mins. Can't wait to try it, I love my bns soup but as I cook the whole thing it can take an hour just to soften enough to be able to blend. Hoping to try it tomorrow.

ooo let me know how the soup machine is, I love gadgets!

Well I'm really confused, I don't really know what I weigh, I went and weighed myself on some different scales at the pharmacy and they said exactly what I was 2 weeks ago, 13st4. So either i've gained 5lbs, or its just using different scales, or well I don't know, but I ordered some salter ones so once they come I'm just using them and nothing else. and whatever they say goes! no more scale hopping as it drives me mad. I think I might go to the gym tomorrow so I'll weigh myself them and see what they say, as thats my regular ones.

Annya, sorry to hear about unexpected gains :( it must be very hard for you, and pretty demoralising, I think you're amazing for not throwing the towel in!

I need to stop doing EE, it just doesn't work for me, I've been doing it all week and feel so bloated and horrible. Its just so easy to fit with the family, the boys are away all next week tho, so I'm just going to do red days now I don't have to cook for the masses! xxx

ooo let me know how the soup machine is, I love gadgets!
The best "gadget" for soup is a pressure cooker! I always make mine in this and things are done in about 10-15 minutes.

I need to stop doing EE, it just doesn't work for me, I've been doing it all week and feel so bloated and horrible. Its just so easy to fit with the family, the boys are away all next week tho, so I'm just going to do red days now I don't have to cook for the masses! xxx
EE Does this to me too! I eat too many carbs and bloat right up! Red days rule in our house.

The best "gadget" for soup is a pressure cooker! I always make mine in this and things are done in about 10-15 minutes.

I absolutely agree with you Bev - I have a 32 year old pressure cooker, still going strong and make soups, stews, casseroles, the works in it. Veggie based soups in around 10 minutes and a nice chunky beef stew in around 20 :D Funnily enough I have just eaten a late lunch out of mine - pork casserole with chunky carrots, parsnips, swede and BNS - gorgeous! Of course, in the old days, there would have been onion dumplings too but not just now :eek:

I absolutely agree with you Bev - I have a 32 year old pressure cooker, still going strong and make soups, stews, casseroles, the works in it. Veggie based soups in around 10 minutes and a nice chunky beef stew in around 20 :D Funnily enough I have just eaten a late lunch out of mine - pork casserole with chunky carrots, parsnips, swede and BNS - gorgeous! Of course, in the old days, there would have been onion dumplings too but not just now :eek:
Mine's a bit more modern. Treated ourself about 20 years ago to a new stainless steel one. Superb!
I also have a dinky 2-person one that I bought for the boat as we only had 2 little rings there. That now lives at the apartment - hidden away from guests for us to use.
Beef stew is always made once a week during the winter - it is my fave.
You can use really cheap cuts of meat with the fat cut off and it tastes fabulous.
Recipe for onion dumplings please - if that isn't too much of an imposition when you are trying to avoid them !!!

Ooh a pressure cooker, I had one years ago they are SOOOO expensive to buy now but may have to invest in one!!

My little girl is ok thanks, she had her scan and other tests and came back normal so they discharged her without diagnosis, which I'm annoyed about as there are other conditions such as eds and hms which can't be diagnosed with one difinitive test, she's waiting for special boots and physio I called this week and the lady is on holiday, she's back Monday so hopefully that will start soon. X

Recipe for onion dumplings please - if that isn't too much of an imposition when you are trying to avoid them !!!

150g beef or veggie suet
150g SR flour
salt and freshly ground pepper

50g chopped onion
1 tsp mixed herbs (optional)

Put the all the ingredients in bowl and mix well using your hands.
Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add water a little at a time mixing in with your hands until you get a firm dough that comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl (you can always add in a bit more flour if it's a little sticky).
Turn out on to a lightly floured surface, sprinkle with a little more flour and roll out into a fat sausage shape.
Divide into 6 equal portions and roll up in floured hands.
Add to the top of your stew and casserole in the over for around 2 hours at 160C/320F/Gas 2.

They will come out lovely and crispy on top and gooey and gravy soaked underneath - GORGEOUS :eat::drool:

I hate to think what the calorific content is - I reckon around 300 calories PER DUMPLING - these are definitely only for a treat :eek:

Last edited:
I am back!!! Been here before:eek:. My weight loss naturally back to slow (after my first good week) since re joining after 10 months away from SW since my Mum died! I know I should stay positive!!! This time my daughter is on SW too so that helps: it's a great support!

Hi holidaygirl, good to have you back with us. So sorry to hear about your mum. Hope youre OK. I lost my mum 4 years ago and I know how hard it is. You have done the best thing coming back but you know that and you will do well. Sending hugs to you x :)

Holidaygirl10 - hugs from me too chica and welcome back.

Annya - thanks for the recipe. Might have to try this IF I ever get to final target. Not going well at the mo as you know! Too many chocky biscuits! :cry:

Ooh a pressure cooker, I had one years ago they are SOOOO expensive to buy now but may have to invest in one!!

My little girl is ok thanks, she had her scan and other tests and came back normal so they discharged her without diagnosis, which I'm annoyed about as there are other conditions such as eds and hms which can't be diagnosed with one difinitive test, she's waiting for special boots and physio I called this week and the lady is on holiday, she's back Monday so hopefully that will start soon. X

Glad she's doing ok, it sounds like whenever you need someone (I remember it was a Dr before) they always seem to be away! Hopefully the physio will start soon then.

if I ate meat & cooked stews & things I would have gone for a pressure cooker but I wouldn't use it. Going to try my soup maker later!

Well I messed up last night, again! Feel so much better today & feel on the ball. I hate that my totm pain is too bad to get in exercise but that's the way it is, knowing I'd get a workout in usually keeps my head in the game & makes me want to stick to plan. Never mind, its a new day :)

Back