The restaurant at the end of the universe

Kriskin

Right, so let's give this diary thing a try.

Hello internet! I've been on CD for a few weeks (and have dropped around 15kg) but have failed to stick to it over the last two weeks. My job has me travelling a lot, and sometimes I just can't be bothered to prepare when room service is oh so much easier. I feel good about sticking to it this week, but am flying out again next Monday so need to get some momentum going and try to do it right this time.

Day 0 - Being the day we decide to get back in the saddle

1) Find online support forum CHECK
2) Register, start a diary CHECK
3) Read for some inspiration IN PROGRESS
4) Get kicked by wife for using the netbook in bed CHECK
5) Have that one last whiskey CHECK, CHECK, CHECK
6) Get kicked by wife for bringing a drink to bed CHECK
7) Please try and remember to post tomorrow IN PROGRESS

Good luck everyone!

Success! The first time in two weeks that nothing but CD-allowed foods makes it into my meals. Maybe this journal stuff really works. There's a dinner engagement coming up on Saturday but it includes grilled chicken so I'll try to inconspicuously stick to that. Leaving to Egypt for a week on Monday so should get some more CD bars and sachets to stuff in the hand luggage - no cheating this time! I don't care how good the sushi at the hotel is! (But but..)

Day 1 - Being the day we were most worried about

Meals: 1 shake, 1 soup, 1 meal bar, 1 porridge
Drinks: 4 coffees (2 decaf), 1 diet ginger ale (0 carbs, 0 calories - what's in that thing then??)

1) Stick to the diet CHECK
2) Stick to the diet! CHECK ALREADY
3) Remind wife how pretty she looks pregnant CHECK
4) Write your diet journal entry CHECK
5) Remember to order next month's batch of CD food soon IN PROGRESS
6) Remember to post tomorrow IN PROGRESS

Hope everyone's sticking to their guns!

Still going strong. Had two sodas yesterday but that's alright. Thinking I'll weigh up on day 7 and check on the (hopeful) progress. I think it's the pacing that's the biggest challenge. You get the feeling you want to eat everything early on but then when you do you're stuck for the evenings. The sodas and coffee help with that - especially if there's a bit of milk in the coffee. I can use 300ml of skimmed milk so that's like 2 coffees? Should check that.

Day 2 - Being not a very interesting day at all.

Meals: 1 shake, 1 bar, 1 soup, 1 porridge
Drinks: 3 coffees (1 decaf), 1 diet ginger ale, 1 diet coke

2) Get a ton of work done CHECK
3) Plan for trip IN PROGRESS
4) Plan for Saturday's dinner IN PROGRESS
5) Remember to order next month's food IN PROGRESS
6) Work on that bloody paper would you? PROCRASTINATING
7) Remember to post tomorrow IN PROGRESS

Good luck miniminsers!

The headaches are now in full force but they'll get better in a couple of days, for now just popping a headache pill in the morning. Two dinners coming up, but one has sashimi and one has chicken so I'll take bits of that and try to socialize.

Three large pieces of sashimi are about 120 calories, so that's a meal I should probably skip, and I can probably skip the meal bar and have a few more slices. I should stay away from the sushi (obviously) but can have a cup or two of miso soup (80 calories, and about 9 grams of carbs - that's less than half of what the CD meals have in them).

Second dinner has corchorus and chicken breasts, so I can plate up on the greens and have a large chicken breast - and should only need to skip one meal for it. Might play it safe and skip two meals for each, but then I'll pop a multivitamin pill.

I suppose planning this stuff makes it less cheating and keeps the discipline, which is the biggest issue with dieting.

Meals: 1 shake, 1 bar, 1 soup, 1 porridge
Drinks: 2 coffees (1 decaf), 3 diet cokes

Day 3 - Being the day of the epic headaches

2) Plan for the upcoming dinners CHECK
3) Plan for the trip IN PROGRESS
4) Remember to order next month's food IN PROGRESS
6) Are you going to work on that paper already? YES, FINE
7) Remember to post tomorrow IN PROGRESS

Just found your diary Kriskin and am really enjoying it. Loving your checklists.

Congrats on your wife being pregnant! When is she due? You're going to be a fit and healthy dad :D

Thanks!

That's the motivation behind all of this really. Wife says that if I ever develop an illness (heart, cholesterol, etc) she'll kill me; she expects me to be around until we're pushing 90, getting forgetful and randomly shooing people off our lawn. It only hit home though when she ran into my office one day with tears and a pregnancy test :)

She's due late January or early February. Our first - can't wait to meet her/him!

Headaches on their way out; oh yeah!

Pushed it with the sashimi last night, but skipped two meals for it so should be OK. I'm definitely still in ketosis, as proven by all the new and interesting odors that it brings. People coming for dinner tonight, but a chicken breast and a bit of greens won't break the diet either. Going to skip two meals for that, and take multivitamins.

Meals: 1 shake, 1 bar, sashimi and miso soup.
Drinks: 1 coffee, 1 Turkish coffee, 3 diet cokes.

Day 4 - Being the day we start bidding goodbye to the awful headaches.

1) Stick to the diet CHECK - PLANNED DINNER WENT WELL
2) Plan for the trip IN PROGRESS
3) Remember to order next month's food WAITING ON SALARY DAMMIT
4) Are you going to work on that paper already? FINE! FINE!
5) Remember to post tomorrow morning IN PROGRESS

Best of luck to everyone else!

I hope the dinner didn't kick me out of ketosis - had a chicken breast (and a bit) and some cooked greens; of course it's the greens I'm worried about. Skipped two meals for it though. Traveling to Egypt tomorrow for a week, but I've packed enough CD food to last. Hate being on a diet in hotels, it's always such a hassle to prepare and so easy to get food delivered. It'll help that everyone else is fasting though, so the hotel won't smell as foody.

Meals: 1 shake, 1 bar
Drinks: 2 coffee, 1 diet coke, 2 diet ginger ale

Day 5 - Being the day before we get stuck on an airplane in economy seats we barely fit it.

1) Stick to the diet CHECK - PLANNED DINNER WENT WELL
2) Plan for the trip CHECK
3) Remember to order next month's food WILL DO WHEN I'M BACK FROM EGYPT
4) Buy ketone test strips IN PROGRESS 5) Are you going to work on that paper already? TAKING THE BOOKS WITH ME TO EGYPT
6) Remember to post tomorrow morning IN PROGRESS

Best of luck to all!

There was some leftover chicken breast hiding in the fridge so have made short work of that. Still, I think I've got this ketosis thing figured. Peaked at the scales as I won't be able to weigh in on day 8 (will be in Egypt) and it's pretty good news so far.

I like the freedom to throw in high protein low carb foods into my meals, I think it makes it easier to adapt the diet to my life. I'd still like to do sole source some days, when I'm not feeling particularly hungry, but for others mixing it up keeps me happy.

Meals: 1 shake, 1 bar, 2 soups (w/ chicken breast bits)
Drinks: 2 coffee (1 decaf), 1 diet coke

Mood: One with the universe
Stress: Incompetent employee who needs a talking to, personal butt to seat ratio in economy flights

Day 6 - Being the day we fly off to the land of the pharaohs.

1) Stick to the diet CHECK - ATE CHICKEN BREAST, BUT THIS IS ALLOWED
2) Remember to order next month's food WHEN I'M BACK FROM EGYPT
3) Buy ketone test strips CHECK
4) Are you going to work on that paper already? TAKING THE BOOKS WITH ME TO EGYPT
6) Remember to post tomorrow morning IN PROGRESS

May the gods of dieting smile upon you all.

How's it going Kriskin? Hope Egypt has been a nice break, or is it a work related trip?

Back